Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2020, 07:08 AM   #81

Everybody else’s advise is better to wait Mine will come in if you impulse buy. We took a ride last October. Talked about buying on for about a minute and bought it. We are happy with it but probably should have planned better
So I could turn lemons into lemonade we went camping throughout the winter. Got excited buying little things for it. Reserved campsites for this spring. All mental things to make sure we didn’t have buyer‘s remorse
Keep us posted if you find any good campsites in Ohio.
We are going to the small RV show in Columbus Ohio next weekend
sportsdad12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:12 AM   #82

CincyGus
We just used Holmans RV to set up towing for our Jeep. There service was reasonable and friendly staff
Let me know if you have any recommendations for good campsites around there.
We are still new to RV camping
sportsdad12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:47 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWood422 View Post
And if he’s right he’ll *NEVER* hear the end of it. The most dangerous thing a man can do is win an argument with his wife.

This is the most important advice so far !

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:10 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsdad12 View Post
Everybody else’s advise is better to wait Mine will come in if you impulse buy. We took a ride last October. Talked about buying on for about a minute and bought it. We are happy with it but probably should have planned better
So I could turn lemons into lemonade we went camping throughout the winter. Got excited buying little things for it. Reserved campsites for this spring. All mental things to make sure we didn’t have buyer‘s remorse
Keep us posted if you find any good campsites in Ohio.
We are going to the small RV show in Columbus Ohio next weekend
I was born and raised in Ohio

Check out Hocking Hills area for camping. It's like so beautiful in that part of Ohio.

TT: Purchased @2/1/19 Wildwood X Lite 230BHXL
Irobutterfly59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:15 AM   #85

Wait and order fro factory

My vote is that you wait until you move and then order it from the factory or better yet... if you know exactly what you want, call Ryan at Wana RV in Shipshewana IN anD order it over the phone. It will be waiting for you when you get there. Ryan is a no pressure sales person. Tell him what you want and he will give you their best price. No haggling, no hassle. We live 3.5 hours away and drove there multiple times to tour trailers and ultimately order one. The customer service has been great and the price was the best we could find.

Good luck with the move.

Pat, WW9R
2020 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2614BS
2019 Ford F-250 Superduty XLT, Crew cab, long box, 6.7L Diesel, 3.55 Gears
ProPride P3 Hitch with 1400 lbs bars
Haloview rear and side view cameras
PatHoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:37 AM   #86

I agree with your wife.
Egalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 02:28 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
We went trailer shopping a couple of weekends ago and fell in love with the 2109S. No intention of buying, wife just wanted to get out of the house. We are moving from TX to OH in June. I want to buy it now, she wants to wait. I am trying like heck to figure out a good way to get the trailer from TX to OH, but we need the TV to pull our U-Haul full of stuff we don't trust the movers with. 1,000 miles each way, I don't really want to make 3 trips. Could rent a pickup for $200 and pull it up with that then fly back on work. Need to store it for 5 months here in TX ($400). Won't camp much here in TX. Price is about the same although RVWholesalers can beat them by $500.

So after that stream of consciousness, how do I justify driving up and picking it up today? I want it. DW thinks I am an idiot.

No need to justify it. If you want it and can afford it just do it!! Of course you may need to run after you do it Ha-Ha.
EarlA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:37 PM   #88

My wife and I have decided to wait on ANY large purchases of anything until after the Election in November.

Things could change dramatically come then.

So until we know what is what, waiting right now seems to be the prudent option.
Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 12:44 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
You don't Wife is right ! you would get a better deal in Ohio , Indiana then i bet you can if TX . lots of Wholesalers where you're going . patience is what gets you a good deal
I agree, you get a better deal in Ohio. We live in Florida but bought ours from Lewis RV in Dayton because they had the best prices and a friend recommended them. Small place, looks like a used car lot but they don't overprice you. They are straight up on the dealer prep cost. While on our first trip we met another couple from Maine who bought theirs also in Ohio (not same dealer) because of a good deal. Listen to your wife.
SunseekerFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 01:25 PM   #90
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I'd wait then when you get moved you can order one. WanaRV in Shipshewana, IN is a good place to buy one. I almost bought there as found the tt I wanted at about 12000 less than buy here. Well I ended up changing my mind and bought a fifth wheel here instead at local dealer that gave me a real good price. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:18 AM   #91

BUY as close to Home as you can !!!

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:40 AM   #92

Update from OP:

We went to the RV show yesterday in Dallas. Confirmed we still love the 2019S for a smaller trailer and the 2608 for a larger trailer. But we also found the Grand Design trailers to be quite fantastic. We actually prefer them to the Rockwood. But alas, no go on buying now. I think we will miss this season if we wait until we are settled in OH before we buy anything. I guess that's ok as next year I hope to be retired. Or maybe I'll work another year to get a new truck and trailer.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:48 AM   #93

retirement

Quote:
Update from OP:

We went to the RV show yesterday in Dallas. Confirmed we still love the 2019S for a smaller trailer and the 2608 for a larger trailer. But we also found the Grand Design trailers to be quite fantastic. We actually prefer them to the Rockwood. But alas, no go on buying now. I think we will miss this season if we wait until we are settled in OH before we buy anything. I guess that's ok as next year I hope to be retired. Or maybe I'll work another year to get a new truck and trailer.
Being "close to retirement" is a new game. If you plan on travel full-time, it doesn't really make a difference where you buy, you probably wont be home when you need the dealer again. Buy where and when you get the best deal. If you can save 10k-20K on a purchase, you will never make that up by getting dealer service "close to home". And if you are traveling a lot, you will need to do many repairs yourself anyway. If you get into a situation where you have 10k in repairs, you bought the wrong camper. And those GD's are nice, real nice, but somewhat overpriced.

RockinH Bill
2019 Silverback 37RTH
2014 Shadow LQ 3 horse select
2015 Ram Laramie DRW
2012 Kaw Concours
Rockinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 12:02 PM   #94

Quote:
Update from OP:
But we also found the Grand Design trailers to be quite fantastic. We actually prefer them to the Rockwood..
We now have one of those Grand Designs, see signature. Having traded in a problem free Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s after two years I’d say the build quality is about the same. For us it all came down to floor plan and GD had a model that fit our needs.

My suggestion is to look at as many different floor plans as you possibly can because upgrading gets expensive, this is our 3rd TT since ‘14 and I hope this does it for a long while.
2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid
Tigger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 12:50 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
We now have one of those Grand Designs, see signature. Having traded in a problem free Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s after two years I’d say the build quality is about the same. For us it all came down to floor plan and GD had a model that fit our needs.

My suggestion is to look at as many different floor plans as you possibly can because upgrading gets expensive, this is our 3rd TT since ‘14 and I hope this does it for a long while.
OMG, we must have looked at 50 trailers yesterday at the show and guess which one we fell in love with? The 2020 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22MLE! What a great layout for the two of us. Although, we got the 2 more feetitis and fell in love with the 2250RK as well (27'). Then the Rockwood 2608 (29'). Now that we are back home, we are wondering why we need a 29' trailer. But your advice is well founded. We could easily see ourselves taking extended trips in the 22MLE because of all the storage inside.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:53 PM   #96
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
BUY as close to Home as you can !!!

Not true for everyone. We bought our first new trailer from a dealer 2000 miles away.
FR found us local dealers willing to do the warranty work.
Many find the local dealers to be worthless. Especially when you can use independent RV shops or mobile RV tech.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:19 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Not true for everyone. We bought our first new trailer from a dealer 2000 miles away.
FR found us local dealers willing to do the warranty work.
Many find the local dealers to be worthless. Especially when you can use independent RV shops or mobile RV tech.
I am Happy for you, Most of us would not be that Lucky !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 01:14 PM   #98

I still can't buy a trailer, so I have been picking up bargains on accessories. Got a lightly used Equal-i-zer, a TPMS, a Sherline hitch scale, installed a Tekonsha brake controller, picked up some leveling blocks and got some OEM tow mirrors for the X3. Still have a few more things on the list. We'll be ready when I do get the green light.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:59 PM   #99

Get some good rubber wheel chocks, and a water hose while you are at it.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:56 AM   #100

I live in Dayton, OH. In my area there a about 6 major dealerships less than a 1 hour drive I have been happy with the price of my motor home. Trailers are more plentiful.
vickyr is offline   Reply With Quote