Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2016, 08:09 PM   #21

Send a message via AIM to B and B
We are out looking for a upgrade and looking at Grand Design now. The Heartland we looked at is petty nice. Went and looked at Columbus but it seems we get better value with other brands now.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:28 PM   #22
Canadian Member

Brian, I'm subscribed to RVProject on YouTube. He recently bought a Grand Design Reflection 29RS fifth wheel. Here are a couple videos of his thoughts on their design and quality.

https://youtu.be/JAgSU8EvnOs

https://youtu.be/Yaks7YFOovA
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:02 PM   #23

Hopefully, Winnebago can straight out Grand Design making it an even more desirable product. If you take time to read their 2-year warranty, it’s deceptive not a true two-year warranty. Overall the quality truly wasn’t any better than other units in the market and it wasn’t anything tremendously innovative. Two good friends of mine have purchased Grand Design 5th wheels thinking they were far superior only to find out that simply was not the case, it was a lot of hype.
esmoglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:19 PM   #24

Winnebago Buys Grand Design RV

I guess you have not looked in Grand Design very well. The company has grown very fast. I don't think Winnebago bought them to change them . Winnebagos towables we're not built very well from what I saw when we were looking last year.From a customer service point it is very good. Have had the company call me at home when I had questions before and after purchasing . I'm not sure on there fifth wheels but the Imagine line has some layouts that I have not seen at other makers. As far as quality goes would not say they are better or worse than the rest of the industry.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:45 PM   #25

Uhhhhh??'

The 2 primary founders of Grand Design originally were top execs at Keystone. They carried CHEAP as the GRAND Design. I looked at them when introduced and it was obvious they lacked quality.

Winnebago MH's are good in that EVERY, yes every, part has a number on it someplace. You can at least order your need without delay or guess work.

Obviously Winnebago did not carry much QUALITY over to TT division. Perhaps the combining of the 2 will make equivalency of a FR "Creek". Competition is good for buyers. Just research Ford/Toyota .

Just say'n 👌
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:58 PM   #26

Overall, I feel Winnebago builds a much better product than Grand Design. Winnebago is an originator and industry leader, not some start up. I also agree that Keystone RV is not that great either having owned their products. Winnebago will make Grand Design better I have no doubt about that.
esmoglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:36 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmoglo View Post
Overall, I feel Winnebago builds a much better product than Grand Design. Winnebago is an originator and industry leader, not some start up. I also agree that Keystone RV is not that great either having owned their products. Winnebago will make Grand Design better I have no doubt about that.
Couldn't agree more. Winnebago Motorhomes are vastly superior to Forest River, Thor, etc. If they pass along a fraction of that quality to their travel trailers and now Grand Design, they will do just fine.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:14 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverbackMel View Post

Obviously Winnebago did not carry much QUALITY over to TT division.
Because they acquired Sunnybrook and rebranded it leaving most of Sunnybrook's means and methods in place.

They will do the same with Grand Design. Grand Designs strength is with the communication and customer service. They have a manufacturer sponsored forum where questions are actually answered and solutions provided by factory and vendor representatives on a consistent basis. They also keep a tight leash on their dealer network and when a dealer drops the ball it does not go over well with Grand Design. If being acquired by Winnebago will result in a change to initial build quality that's debatable, I doubt it.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote