Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2014, 07:51 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safe man View Post
What is Verizon hotspot?
The Verizon hotspot used to be called MiFi and now is referred to as the Jetpack. It will connect to a Verizon 4G LTE network and allow you to connect multiple devices to that 4G network. A 4G network is quite fast and is great for surfing the Internet. If 4G isn’t available it will step down to a 3G network. Many times when we're on the road I will be connected to the Internet with my laptop and my wife will be connected to the Internet with her tablet or Kindle using the Jetpack.

Name:   jetpack.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  56.3 KB

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:31 PM   #22

JetPack is fine but you pay for an additional device. I can connect through my wife's Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and get on line using her phone as the hotspot. I've been using mifi/jetpacks for several years at work. Now I'm getting ready to retire and I won't have all the toys!
Old 12-17-2014, 08:46 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I have a Verizon jetpack and use that in the USA. Works everywhere I have been on 4g LTE. Does not roam back Home to Canada though, different band. I use Rogers hotspot in Canada and have great service all over Ontario. Parks, lakes and shoreline all have service ever though population is often sparse and seasonal with 4 G LTE.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:03 PM   #24

It depends on where you will be staying the most. We have a fantastic mobile share plan through AT&T that is great for our needs. Verizon has a comparable plan. We could have gone with either plan for the central US where we mainly travel (we are full timers). But you are in the Eastern US so you need to compare. I definitely say one of the two - Verizon or AT&T.
Freebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:58 AM   #25

Verizon hot spot with 4G service. We use it all over the country and are never without service. WiFi and phone both. Verizon all the way.

<a href=https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:08 AM   #26

Send a message via AIM to Bauernfeind Send a message via Skype™ to Bauernfeind
Full-Timer thoughts

We've been full-timing and traveling since 2010 and there is absolutely no comparison between Verizon and anything else. The person who listed satellite wireless obviously never saw one installed -- in cement. It is way too heavy and has to be placed exactly in a place with no wiggle room. Nobody who travels uses satellite internet: we use Verizon, a Verizon mi-fi/jetpack for internet and forsake watching Netflix/etc., due to the heavy data use.
Bauernfeind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:25 AM   #27
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
This is just my opinion of course, I think Verizon is the best for those RVers who travel because they have the largest 4G network. I hate it when I’m in an area that is a 3G network or less because the Internet runs frustratingly S-L-O-W. Even so, there are still plenty of areas in our country that don’t have any cell signal at all.
Amen...X2. Verizon is absolutely the best. I frequently have AT&T and Sprint customers ask if they can use my wifi hotspot for a few minutes because theirs isn't working.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:58 AM   #28
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I have a Verizon jetpack and use that in the USA. Works everywhere I have been on 4g LTE. Does not roam back Home to Canada though, different band. I use Rogers hotspot in Canada and have great service all over Ontario. Parks, lakes and shoreline all have service ever though population is often sparse and seasonal with 4 G LTE.
B and B....so do have a service contract with Verizon that you simply pay for year round, or can you use it as a seasonal thing...I ask because also being in Canada and close proximity to the border, we are in the US a lot in summer time but very little in winter, so just wondering how this works for us Canadians.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:01 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauernfeind View Post
We've been full-timing and traveling since 2010 and there is absolutely no comparison between Verizon and anything else. The person who listed satellite wireless obviously never saw one installed -- in cement. It is way too heavy and has to be placed exactly in a place with no wiggle room. Nobody who travels uses satellite internet: we use Verizon, a Verizon mi-fi/jetpack for internet and forsake watching Netflix/etc., due to the heavy data use.

The one I saw used a dish about the same size as those for satellite TV (dish network, direct tv, etc...) mounted to a house. I'm not sure who the provider was, but since it was Canadian it probably wouldn't help the OP anyways. Beside, this was about 12 years ago I saw this, so maybe things have changed by now.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 12-18-2014, 10:50 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
B and B....so do have a service contract with Verizon that you simply pay for year round, or can you use it as a seasonal thing...I ask because also being in Canada and close proximity to the border, we are in the US a lot in summer time but very little in winter, so just wondering how this works for us Canadians.

I've been having good luck using Wind with their unlimited US add-on. It roams on a few different US carriers so so far I've been covered anywhere I've been State side. But you need to be in a Wind area Canadian side or else your paying to roam on Rogers.

Then again I'm a cross border commuter so I'm in the US most work days and don't worry about seasonal usage.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:34 PM   #31

Satellite internet (Wild Blue/Dish or Hughes Net) does not allow you to move the dish. They have to be professionally installed at a permanent location. I do not know if they are location locked, but our installer said there was no way for it to be mobile (we had it at our old house about 5 years ago). My in-laws just had it installed last summer and they were told the same thing.

Verizon is great in most parts of the country, but it is pretty dismal is the southwest (New Mexico, West Texas, Utah, and rural CO). Most folks out there would say ATT and the best.
Fiver: '15 Puma 295BHSS Anniversary Edition
Past TV: '13 F150 HD Payload SCrew EB, '08 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L, '02 'Burb 5.3L, '97 Dakota 3.9L
Past Trailers: '09 Wildwood LE 27RB, '02 Palomino Yearling RL, '87 Jayco 1006dlx
campingwilliamsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:58 PM   #32
Papi

Straight Talk ???

No one has commented about straight talk. I understand it uses Verizon towers therefore coverage should be about the same. They supposedly throttle down to 3G after 3 GB (not a huge problem with me). Has anyone had experience with them? Thinking of dumping Verizon in April for Straight Talk...much cheaper ($43 a month for unlimited) and no contract.
Any info appreciated!
now in same place.
Papicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:21 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingwilliamsons View Post
Satellite internet (Wild Blue/Dish or Hughes Net) does not allow you to move the dish. They have to be professionally installed at a permanent location. I do not know if they are location locked, but our installer said there was no way for it to be mobile (we had it at our old house about 5 years ago). My in-laws just had it installed last summer and they were told the same thing.

Verizon is great in most parts of the country, but it is pretty dismal is the southwest (New Mexico, West Texas, Utah, and rural CO). Most folks out there would say ATT and the best.

Ah, ok. Well that settles it. It's a shame really. If you can bring your TV dish you should be able to bring your Internet dish. Oh well.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:07 AM   #34
Team Bleu

Internet

I've been traveling with my Verizon 4G hotspot, I have 12G's. Have not had any problems not matter where I have been
DBsRedVett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:13 AM   #35

All cell phone companies have their "Prime Market" cities That's why service is sometimes Great or Sucks, depending on market. Also cell phone antenna's differ from phone to phone. Some better than others.
Example: my wife and I have same device. I will 4g service and she will get 3g or 1x . phones sitting on table , side by side. We have been told that the "chip" in phone has to also do with signal strength. BS I think.
We have Verizon. Really like it coverage. Also have the "jet Pack" Bought the external antenna with pig tail adapter and get 4g just about every place we've been.
keeps us connected when cell phone "hot spot " don't
jkaspar20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 02:14 PM   #36
DogHouse Driver

Verizon still wins?

Good thread, but dated. Posting March 2024. Do folks still rate Verizon as the best wifi hotspot option outside city areas? Which plan?

I use US Cellular at home because they own the nearest tower. Used to have to stand on the second step off my patio to get a signal from ATT. But now I'm hitting the road up the West Coast and into BC Canada. Looking for a basically reliable way to update my travel blog on the road. Recommendations greatly appreciated!
Talent, OR
RollingDoghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 04:41 PM   #37

We have stayed with Verizon. The Hot Spot via the iPhone 12 works great.

My biggest concern is, what do we do when the internet is down for an extended period? It is possible and likely to occur during a national emergency.

Are we prepared to do banking, business, and communications with the internet down? Don't kid yourself and say "It'll never happen". B.S. Recently A T & T did a software update that took most of their system down for a large part of the day. We can't buy stuff, can't sell stuff.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 07:47 PM   #38
DogHouse Driver

When, not if

Thanks, Bob. Another long-distance RVer friend goes with T-Mobile. Both offer 'hockey pucks' - Verizon Jetpack. I'm not yet fully up with the technology as it compares to a Netgear Nighthawk. Gaagh.

As to the sketchy place we're all at dependent on the Internet. Yes. I keep old fashioned cash on hand at all times. First thing to go down will be the ATMs.
Talent, OR
RollingDoghouse is offline   Reply With Quote