Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2015, 12:52 PM   #1

2 dual stage regulators on 2013 r

Recently, I had our propane tank topped off for a trip. About 50-70 miles from home we stopped for a few things and I smelled propane, so I checked out the tank. There was a hissing sound coming from the bottom regulator (it has two). I shut off the tank, just as I did before filling, and we camoed without propane for the weekend. Thinking replacing the regulator will help, I ordered a new one and changed out the one that was hissing/leaking. Well, when I put the new one on, all was well, until I checked the next day and my tank was empty. Thinking I might now have tightened down the hose enough, I went and had the tank topped off again, so I could troubleshoot. Again, I closed the tank before filling, and when I went to open the valve to check for leaks, now the new regulator is hissing just as the old one did. So my question is what the heck is up? I've got a long trip coming up and really need propane functioning. Another question is why does the propane have two regulators? I'm going to attempt to post a picture. Any advice and/or assistance is greatly appreciated. I have called into forest River Solera division, and I am waiting for a return call.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	89669  
LilysROO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:09 PM   #2
clr

A picture would be a great help here. Most RV's have two tanks that feed into 1 dual stage regulator. The two stages are to lower and control the LP pressure being sent to the rest of the RV better than a single stage regulator. I have not seen any RV with 2 regulators. What type and model RV are you talking about here.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:21 PM   #3

Model is a 2013 24R
Picture should be there
Old 09-23-2015, 01:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
A picture would be a great help here. Most RV's have two tanks that feed into 1 dual stage regulator. The two stages are to lower and control the LP pressure being sent to the rest of the RV better than a single stage regulator. I have not seen any RV with 2 regulators. What type and model RV are you talking about here.
Most TT's have two, that is.

OP is referring to a MH and posted on the Solera MH sub forum.

2015 Solera MBS 24R - Hellwig/Sumo Equipped, Sold
(Sold the Vibe TT, as well)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:05 PM   #5

IMO, not a DIY item. Any local propane dealer/service business can do diagnosis and leak testing.

I love doing my own work, but for stuff like propane, air brakes, and 120 volt electrical I call in a pro.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:02 PM   #6

More info @ http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...sue-66065.html

CaptDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:25 PM   #7

A couple things, use teflon tape and pipe dope, being careful not to get the dope near the end of the pipe. Then after install give it the soapy water test. If it is currently leaking at the connection, do that double seal method. The biggest cause of connection leak is improper prep and not tightening sufficiently. Just sayin'
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:10 PM   #8

just fyi, if it's like my 2401R Forester MBS, the regulator on the bottom is dedicated to the lp generator, while the top one is plumbed to the appliances (furnace, water heater, stove, fridge).
'16 Forester MBS 2401R
Hellwig 7254, TireMinder A1A & Sumo Equipped
jdyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:04 AM   #9

It appears to be a faulty tank (made in Mexico); we have ordered a Manchester tank and will be installed today. The faulty tank was releasing liquid propane not vapor, which was jacked up our regulators. I used a standard gas grill bottle and all worked well; however, when I had the main line disconnected, I opened the shutoff, and out shot a hug fog of liquid propane. I don't think that's suppose to occur. At least that's what others have stated.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:41 AM   #10
Site Team

You are correct. Those regulators aren't designed to handle liquid. In fact the entire system isn't designed to handle liquid.

What's strange is that all of a sudden it started syphoning liquid from the tank. Has anybody worked on the system recently? Other than you replacing the regulator?
Old 10-02-2015, 07:04 AM   #11

No work has been done on tank; the only thing that has been done is to have it topped off, and I watched every time. They fill to the overfill valve on top and stop.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:51 AM   #12
Commercial Member

There are two regulators because of the propane gen (1 feeds gen, one fed the coach). However, they have recently switched to a much larger single one that can handle both. To save stocked parts, I believe they ended up going to that larger one across the board on everything.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags