Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2022, 03:13 AM   #1

2014 24M murphy bed

My murphy bed got out of sync and I took it to an rv mechanic and he got it working and lubed the rails. I asked about finding parts if he hadn't been able to repair it and he said they would have to come from Forest River. I got wondering if a person should carry some spare parts with them in case they fail. And how easy is it to replace these parts?
I also had trouble earlier with the engine not charging the house batteries when I was on the road and I replaced the solenoid and got this working. Today I had the same issue but the solenoid seems to be working but the engine voltage doesn't get to the house batteries. Is there a fuse or relay that could be bad?
fredberful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 09:50 AM   #2

How do you know chassis power is not getting to your batteries? Are they just not charging or have you measured the engine output?
Old 09-15-2022, 10:05 AM   #3
2012 Solera

There is a circuit and a large "battery interconnect '" relay in the Battery Control Center. Under a metal cover on the right hand side (as you enter) of the entry stairs. This circuit (and its relay) is the method used to charge the house batteries from the alternator.
FYI, Jim
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 01:49 PM   #4

The alternator voltage appears on one side of the solenoid and then when the solenoid picks up both sides show the house battery voltage. This is when it was at the RV repair shop. I haven't had time to try it at home
Old 09-16-2022, 07:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
How do you know chassis power is not getting to your batteries? Are they just not charging or have you measured the engine output?
I measure across the solenoid (relay) and get alternator voltage of about 13.9 V and the other side I get house battery voltage of 12.4V after starting the engine. After about a 60 sec delay the solenoid energizes and the voltage becomes 12.4 V on both sides. Leaving the engine running for 10 min doesn't raise the voltage.
Old 09-17-2022, 06:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
There is a circuit and a large "battery interconnect '" relay in the Battery Control Center. Under a metal cover on the right hand side (as you enter) of the entry stairs. This circuit (and its relay) is the method used to charge the house batteries from the alternator.
FYI, Jim
I found my problem finally. The cables from the chassis battery and the coach batteries connect to a bolt on the back of the Battery Control Center box. On my unit it is in the same compartment as the propane tank and all the connections are exposed to the elements. The cable from the alternator (chassis battery) showed full voltage (14.2V) when the engine was running but when we put a 12V load on it the voltage dropped to about 10V. I took this cable off and cleaned the connector and all nuts and washers and put it back on and the system worked fine.

Tags
2014, bed