Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2014, 08:41 PM   #1

2014 Solera 24B Coach Step

I'm having problems with our automatic step on the Solera manufactured by "Coach Step".

While at a rest area on Friday the step deployed normally. However when we started to leave it wouldn't retract.

The batteries are charged and the fuse is fine. We stopped a couple of more times during our trip and they still wouldn't retract until we reached our campsite. Then they started to work fine (even before plugging in shore power) until today. Now they won't work and the Amber light under the stairs has quit working.

Fuse is still good replaced just in case.

Any suggestions? Can't seem to find a manual way to retract them to get us home.

We bought the unit new in September of this year.

In addition to the stair problem the Bigfoot stabilizers decided to come to life in the middle of the night. I found the reset procedure someone posted on this forum and I hope that works.
Rxdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:12 PM   #2

My step jammed in the deployed position on a '12 Solera S. What I did was apply strong foot pressure to it, in the direction of retraction, while the switch was actuated. It made a loud "pop" noise, as if the retracting linkage got untracked. I lubricted all the linkage, gears, etc. Been operating fine for about a year now.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:43 PM   #3

Thanks. I will try that in the morning.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:23 PM   #4

Two strange electrical problems. Both with relatively high current demand.

Check all of the ground connections.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:02 PM   #5

Still Kickin thanks for the tip a steady pressure while turning on the ignition caused the step to retract.

Cousin01 I agree there is a bigger electrical problem. The Amber light under the stair no longer works. This all started when they had to replace a "circuit board" in the unit because the arctic pac wasn't working. Thanks.

Can any Solera owners tell me if the stair is supposed to extend when the RV door is opened or just when the engine is turned off?

The manufacturer states they are supposed to extend when Rv door is opened and retract when RV door is closed . I didn't know if this might be an optional feature.

Thanks for the help
Old 12-29-2014, 08:49 PM   #6

haven't had this kind of problem, but:

the contact for the automatic operation is on the inner side of the screen door near the lower hinge, if I remember correctly ( might also be between the screen & main door - my unit is in storage )

you might check for any dirt or other obstruction between the contact points
ipolyihh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:14 PM   #7

Thanks ipolyihh - I think they skipped over that part on my unit during assembly. I found a loose wire that resembles the mfr schematic that should go to the door. It's a brown wire just hanging loosely under the step. It does have a cap on it though so it's not a bare wire.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:36 PM   #8

I'm probably wrong, since the step should retract in any case when the ignition key is turned ( I don't think engine needs to be started )

you might check voltage to ground from your brown wire, with ignition both on & off - if no diff something else is amiss
ipolyihh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:57 PM   #9

Unhappy Solera stabilizers

Had the same problem, with the stabilizers having a life of their own (scares you to death in the middle of the night, that's for sure) and actually took it back to dealer to have them checked out and could find nothing wrong. When we check after their spontaneous raising (never lowers) we always find it in the on position, even though we know we shut it off. Don't laugh, but my guess is that someone nearby has triggered it with a remote control device on the same frequency. Last week at an RV park in Beaumont, TX, we found it happened at about 4 AM, the same time a neighbor got up to leave for his job at 5. We noticed it happened again at about 4 PM when he returned. Anyway, that's my theory, since it doesn't happen every day at every park we go to.
mheintz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:04 PM   #10

Actually that's what I was thinking about the stabilizers. That problem didn't start until a new RV parked next to us. I assumed they had something on the same frequency.

The reset procedure cured that problem.

The stairs are still causing a problem. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I will let the dealer figure that one out.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxdave View Post
Still Kickin thanks for the tip a steady pressure while turning on the ignition caused the step to retract.

Cousin01 I agree there is a bigger electrical problem. The Amber light under the stair no longer works. This all started when they had to replace a "circuit board" in the unit because the arctic pac wasn't working. Thanks.

Can any Solera owners tell me if the stair is supposed to extend when the RV door is opened or just when the engine is turned off?

The manufacturer states they are supposed to extend when Rv door is opened and retract when RV door is closed . I didn't know if this might be an optional feature.

Thanks for the help
The screen door has a sensor located on the lower hinge side of the screen door, that will actuate the step to deploy, when the screen door is opened, not the coach door. Also, when the ignition switch is put in the start position, that will also send a signal to retract the step.

As to your stuck step, apply a light grease to the ball swivels (you will see what I mean upon inspection) and clean and lube the gears, as they pick up road dirt due to there exposure. I use a dry lubricant on those to minimize road dirt.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:26 PM   #12

2015 24R Coach Step Fuse

My coach step wouldn't move. Of course, it was in the out position.

Tracked it down to a blown fuse, though I haven't figured out why the fuse blew. I guess I'll try lubing everything up.

Anyway, the fuse is not obvious. It is located behind the "Battery Control Center" cover on the left side of the entrance stairs. The fuse is number F5, a 20 amp fuse labeled "Electric Seat".

Just in case you need to find it...

Dave
DaveJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:49 PM   #13

"Electric seat". Do let us know what thats all about. Maybe its because when extended you can rest a bit.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:35 PM   #14

Thanks for the information on the fuse location I couldn't locate it. The RV has been in the shop since January 8. Hopefully they are fixing the sporadic step problem along with some other minor warranty issues.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:52 PM   #15

Though I have not had problems with the solera step I've had it twice on a previous RV. Both times turned out to be loose ground wire. Likely vibrates when you drive so sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

Second time around I secured with a larger fastner.
lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:08 PM   #16

My coach step seems to work, but then seems to need some recovery time before it will work again. Very odd. At least it hasn't blown the fuse (again) (lately) and the light is still working when the step is out.

Dave
DaveJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:33 AM   #17

The fix for the step was to replace the controller. Our step was always sluggish before finally quitting. Now it responds quickly and functions like it should.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:14 PM   #18

Is the step controller that black box under the stair set.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:32 PM   #19

Yes according to the dealer's service department.

Tags
2014, solera