Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2016, 11:10 PM   #1

Question 24R - Where is hot water by pass & low point drains

I need to winterize my 2014 24R this weekend and it is in storage so I can't look at it until I get there. Where do I look for the hot water tank by pass valve and also how many low point water drains are there and where are they located? I searched the threads but could not find this info specific to the 24R. Any help or pictures would be appreciated. Have not decided if I will use the pink antifreeze in the lines or will blow out the lines with 30 PSI compressed air. I always find this forum to be extremely helpful (much better than my dealer) .
DRZ2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 07:12 AM   #2

Winter

I have a R24. On mine the low point drains are under the unit, a few inches to the left (toward the rear of unit), when looking up from where your door steps retract. Two tube with screw on caps.

There are three water heater valves located behind the two drawer across from the sink in hallway. I can open /close them by sliding my arm behind the drawers. One will close water into water heather, one will close water leaving water heater and one will open a bypass between the two lines.

I drain my water heater by removing a drian plug (large 7/8 inch? plastic ) located from removable panel on outside of RV. Note I trip the circuit breaker for heater anytime I drain it so I don't accidentally turn it on empty.

I use both air and then the pink antifreeze method. Might be overkill but takes very little time preparing.

I also remove the water filter under bed and place an empty water bottle in the housing and reinstall housing. This just takes up space in the filter housing thus less pink stuff needed.
HossHogRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 07:56 AM   #3
Site Team

HossHogRV gave an excellent and detailed response, that pertains to your particular RV.

Although the below thread is generic, it does have diagrams to how the bypass/crossover valves should be set for normal use AND winterization use that may also help...as HossHogRV indicated you have the three valve system

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...st-103381.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:07 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ2021 View Post
I need to winterize my 2014 24R this weekend and it is in storage so I can't look at it until I get there. Where do I look for the hot water tank by pass valve and also how many low point water drains are there and where are they located? I searched the threads but could not find this info specific to the 24R. Any help or pictures would be appreciated. Have not decided if I will use the pink antifreeze in the lines or will blow out the lines with 30 PSI compressed air. I always find this forum to be extremely helpful (much better than my dealer) .
I do both but live in a climate where it gets below freezing (-12º yesterday) for months. It takes maybe five minutes more and one drop of water left behind in the wrong place from only blowing out the lines can create havoc come spring.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:42 AM   #5
Site Team

The problem with only blowing out lines is the way the lines run in some units, you do not get 100% of the water out of a system when you blow the lines. The remaining water can pool in a low spot and freeze and crack a line or fitting. If you are in an area that gets and stays below freezing for some time, the extra 15 minutes and few dollars for the pink stuff is great peace of mind.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, hot water, water