Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #1

Add backup camera

When we ordered our 2011 Solera we had a camera on the order, when we showed up at the dealer it was missing. We flew to a dealer for pickup so we could not walk away easily. We got a discount and felt ok about that as a resolution.

However after a fair amount of trips now I realize it's really a must for us and our driving comfort level, specially when backing in solo. Does anyone know if the coach is pre-wired for the camera electronics and we could order them and connect to the existing wires? Or do we need to just order a third party system and go to a Camping World or similar? I don't mind doing basic work if some things are there, but don't want to mess with it from scratch.
jeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
Commercial Member

If the coach was not ordered with a back-up camera and monitor, it is not wired.
CMcDonough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeds View Post
When we ordered our 2011 Solera we had a camera on the order, when we showed up at the dealer it was missing. We flew to a dealer for pickup so we could not walk away easily. We got a discount and felt ok about that as a resolution.

However after a fair amount of trips now I realize it's really a must for us and our driving comfort level, specially when backing in solo. Does anyone know if the coach is pre-wired for the camera electronics and we could order them and connect to the existing wires? Or do we need to just order a third party system and go to a Camping World or similar? I don't mind doing basic work if some things are there, but don't want to mess with it from scratch.
I don't remember where (may have been Ebay) but seems like I saw a wireless back up camera setup. This may be worth looking into instead of having to run wires through the RV. IMO
Cajundjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:44 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I've talked with the guys at Tadi Brothers a bit about a system for my wife's van and as a gift for my folks when they tow their boat. I've found them to be very knowledgeable in helping to wade through all of the various options. Some of those wireless systems are really nice - huge screens but what I really like is the possibility of multiple cameras. That seems to me something of value for a large MH or 5'r. Or maybe I'm just a gadget guy

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
I've talked with the guys at Tadi Brothers a bit about a system for my wife's van and as a gift for my folks when they tow their boat. I've found them to be very knowledgeable in helping to wade through all of the various options. Some of those wireless systems are really nice - huge screens but what I really like is the possibility of multiple cameras. That seems to me something of value for a large MH or 5'r. Or maybe I'm just a gadget guy

Now that's a "SERIOUS" back up camera system!!! ROFL
Cajundjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The screen is pretty nice, too. You get to see all of the cameras ...

Note the Simpson's are playing in the upper left corner. There's another plus while on the road.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:31 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies. I will call the tadi brothers tomorrow and inquire about the wireless options.
jeds is offline   Reply With Quote