Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2015, 11:37 AM   #1

Advice for buying Mercedes Chassis RV

We are a retired couple with a Rockwood 5th wheel and thinking about going to a B+ or C Mercedes chassis like Solera. Would like to buy a nice used one but new is also an option. When looking at new and used I have found significant (up to 30K) price differences between manufacturers for similar equipped motorhomes.
Is there a significant quality difference between manufacturers? Any buying tips /advice would be appreciated.
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:43 PM   #2

We chose solera because it was best bang for the buck. Also the model s with the corner bunk had the most storage. I went from a 28ft trailer towed by a 19 foot tundra to the 24 ft solara towing a 2 door jeep and it is so much better, much less stressful on the road and parking. I found the solera felt more spacious inside too
They are coming out with a new model w you should ck out. Quality of build is excellent

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:22 PM   #3

Not sure what the 30k difference is you mention. Can you be a little more specific, as I know MB Solera owners will reply back with their opinion. For one, the MB chassis is going to make up part of that 30k, if your comparing it to a gasser. There are other differences of course, cabinet grade, etc.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:03 PM   #4
Commercial Member

He may be referring to the $30k+ price difference from Solera to Mercedes units from Leisure Travel and Pleasureway.

Just remember that those units are built in Canada at a MUCH smaller scale. They buy a lot of their components from US suppliers, so the exchange is hurts them.

As for the Forest River stuff, at our volume, we can afford to take smaller margins and we typically buy components at a much better price.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:01 PM   #5

I sold winnabago view and fleetwood pulse. They were both great in different ways. O own a Solers
Phinias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:03 PM   #6

24R. That should tell the story.
Phinias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:39 PM   #7

Yes,I was comparing Mercedes chassis from different manufacturers. I have noticed that Forest River and Coachman were the least expensive new so I was concerned about quality differences. I have also noticed big $ differences between dealers. It will probably pay to travel to pick one up. Does the Solera have a quality floor. My Forest River Rockwood 5th has the spongy luan/foam sandwich floor.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:13 PM   #8

Ours is solid
No carpet ,easy to clean

Old 02-02-2015, 08:14 PM   #9

This might help answer your floor question.
X2 on solid.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2014soleraposter.pdf (7.58 MB, 141 views)
Old 02-02-2015, 09:24 PM   #10

Looked at a used Solera today in Mission, Texas(we go south 2 -3 months a year). It had a rear bed. We liked the layout but my wife didn't care for the bed size compared to the Queen size in our 5th wheel. Not as roomy as our 28' 5th with 2 slides but I think very manageable for our winter trek and excellent for our planned summer trip to Alaska. It had an LP generator and I assume the diesel generator would be more desirable.
Thanks for your input.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:38 PM   #11

If it had the upgraded air you have to have propane gen
I turned the mattress around and put a full size topper on it
Stuffed a pillow where curve in corner
Makes it large enough, as long as a rv queen just a little narrower

Old 02-03-2015, 01:09 PM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to stillontheroad
Also remember that right now a Canadian manufactured unit comes with a "relative" 20% discount because of the differences in the exchange rates. And as far as dealers quoting different prices... You do not need to take the dealer home with you... so challenge each one to beat the best price you currently have. Let them bid against eachother for your business. The potential savings are huge!
stillontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:32 PM   #13

We bought a Coachmen Prism 24J new in September.
Just got back from a 2 month maiden voyage a few days ago. I love it. Essentially no problems other than with a radio.
The Mercedes is a machine, works flawlessly, quietly and I got at least 15 mpg towing a honda fit with lots of gear.
The Prism part seems pretty good quality, better than most.
I chose the 24J because of the rear slide out which gives us a complete, walk around queen BR. Of course, you lose something in the saloon, with a very small table. I wound up buying a folding work table, which just happens to fit behind the 2 reclining chairs.
A word of caution. Think carefully before you buy from anyone other than your "local dealer". I did, because I saved thousands. However, getting warranty work is an incredible hassle. For more info, see the thread on difficulty getting warranty work that I started a couple of weeks ago.
Good luck!
jeffrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:43 PM   #14

We bought our 24-ft Solera last May and drove it up to North Dakota to visit our daughter and back to Louisiana in June-July, hitting every national park we could. It ran great, we got decent gas mileage, and managed with the small space, It really is ok for just two. We use the over the cab bunk for storage and when the slide is out it is amazing how open it feels. We, too, priced both diesel and gas Class Cs and looked at the Bs before we purchased. I actually wanted the gas, but my husband insisted on the diesel so we paid the higher price for it. I do all the driving, not him, and I find it very easy to handle and park, but I wish the generator was not propane.
mheintz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:29 PM   #15

class c

with a new unit, one dealer may start at list , where another may be trying to move a unit that has been sitting to long and they want to get it off their floor plan. I just bought my first RV and ran into a dealer that wanted to move a 2014 Solera with 4100 miles ( bought it December 31) his desire to move the RV saved me $7,000 dollars but one note that really does not hit you is that only the first buyer has the warrenty on the Forest River coach even if the unit is 4 months old the. so remember to inspect the heck out of any used unit
7jackson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:12 PM   #16

Regarding only the 1st owner having warranty-That must not include the Mercedes chassis ??
I am starting to think if I buy new to go with the rear slide-I like the queen bed and can't think of any disadvantages.
The Solera and Prisms I have seen are similar priced with Thor a bit more and Winnebago/Itasca models higher.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:37 AM   #17

We bought a 24'R which has a queen bed utilizing a rear slide-out. Of course it also has a dining slide-out. It rides like a dream and having a bed we can both get out of with ease is a bonus. Great diesel mileage avg 13mpg towing.
Susan94066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:06 PM   #18

I'm hyper vigilant about weights. We looked at a beautiful Bigfoot Class C with a Ford V-10 ... it was labeled as having a cargo capacity of 330 lbs before reaching gross vehicle weight! Though we liked the Solera with the rear bedroom slide, it had a bit less storage space. Not sure what that rear slide added in terms of weight, but, I did weigh our 2015 Solera 24 S. With 1/2 tank of fuel, full water and myself (200 lbs) in came in at 10,200 lbs. That leaves about 1,000 lbs of stuff we could carry ... with less stuff, you get better mileage and / or ability to tow heavier cars within the Combined Vehicle Weight of around 15,000 lbs. If weight is important to you, weigh the 24 R at your local truck scale and factor the added weight of the rear slide into your decision.
MiataHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyrett View Post
Regarding only the 1st owner having warranty-That must not include the Mercedes chassis ??
I am starting to think if I buy new to go with the rear slide-I like the queen bed and can't think of any disadvantages.
The Solera and Prisms I have seen are similar priced with Thor a bit more and Winnebago/Itasca models higher.

We have had our 24R for just about a year. We absolutely love all the cargo space and it is tempting to take too much gear. The only disadvantage with the rear queen bed IMHO is that you can't use it while driving. The 24S bed is configured to use without putting out the slide but you lose a few inches in width of the bed.

The Peterson Family
Southeast Louisiana
2015 Solera 24R

Living our dreams one day at a time!
Ecopco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:57 PM   #20

I also have a 24R. We use the dinette bed if we need one while driving.

The over cab works also if you don't roll off.