Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2012, 10:41 PM   #1

Unhappy AM is broken on my 2012 Solera w/ Magnadyne

First day on the road with my new toy. The AM reception is awful. 40 miles from Cheyenne Woming the AM scan never stops on a station. Thank heavens I had XM installed at the dealer before I took delivery. Any suggestions?
Don Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:28 AM   #2

Have never even tried the AM. LOL

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
Commercial Member

I wonder if there is an AM antenna? that is not hooked up. I seem to recall a while back bad AM reception due to some antenna issue...but I can't remember if it was just AM or both. Then again I just looked at the install manual and it only shows one antenna hook up.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #4

Poor AM reception

AM reception is horrible on class Cs. I believe it may be due to the location of the antenna, under the portion of the coach that is overhanging the cab. It has a blocking effect on the AM frequency band. I've played around and if the antenna is located away from the unit, reception improves.
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #5

The antenna on the Solera is located on the roof of the rig next to the TV antenna.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:06 PM   #6
2012 Solera

From previous posts, I understand Forest River recently? moved the Solera radio antenna from somewhere on the cab to its present position on the roof next to the TV antenna. Several reception complaints in this forum on units built prior to this change. Mine is on the roof - reception seems fine.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #7

bclemens - is that true? Is the AM antenna on the newest Soleras on top? How can I get mine moved up there?
Don Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:54 AM   #8
Coachmen Adrenaline

The whip antenna on roof of Solera's are am/fm antennas. This should be the same for ALL Solera's built that have the Magnadyne radio installed. It was actually that way with the previous radio also.
jamiller45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #9

We had a loose wire (not plugged into anything) under the passenger's seat. We asked the dealer what it was for and nobody knew. When we realized a few days later that our radio reception was horrible my husband figured he knew what that wire might be for. He looked around and found the female end of another cable underneath the mat between the seats. That cable apparently goes up to the antenna on the roof. He plugged the two together and presto, that fixed the radio reception. Maybe that's your problem.
marirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:19 AM   #10
Now a "Top Member"

What is this "AM" that you are referring to? Oh, wait...I seem to have some recollection of it in my "wayback" space. <gigglesnort>

Boy, I haven't even listened to AM in probably 15 years. I'm not even sure how to get it on my radios. But, I would agree it's either the placement of the antenna, or it's not hokked up properly.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote