Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2013, 11:02 AM   #1

Anyone replace their corner bed mattress?

After a couple of dozen nights of use, the worthless mattress that came with our 24S is shot. I'm thinking of going with memory foam and cutting it to size, but interested in what others have done.

What did you get and where? How do you like it?
Ogsarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #2

I suggest that you buy a quality mattress with a memory foam top - - or --
buy the 2 pieces separately. Our TT came with a premium mattress and we added a memory foam topper that we bought at Costco.
We have a custom built Abe Feller in the house.
Abe Feller
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogsarg View Post
After a couple of dozen nights of use, the worthless mattress that came with our 24S is shot. I'm thinking of going with memory foam and cutting it to size, but interested in what others have done.

What did you get and where? How do you like it?
We just have a foam topper I got from bed bath and beyond. Full size. Works well.
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
We just have a foam topper I got from bed bath and beyond. Full size. Works well.
X2
Camping nights 2013: 130
Camping nights 2014: 17
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #5

We bought a 2" thick memory foam topper from Camping World over 10 years ago and it's in our new fiver. The topper is great. Very well constructed and wonderful to sleep on.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #6

Mattress

I bought the 8" thick memory foam at sam's. I ripped the seam down he side and pulled mattress out. Payed the old one on top and marked te size on new one. Cut it then hand sewed the cover back on. We love the bed now. It's almost as good as te high dollar bed at home. LOL

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #7

I bought a 4 inch full size dense foam topper from walmart.com for about 100. I turned the mattress around (it sticks out a little) and the full size sheets just fit the topper perfectly
Makes bed very comfortable
Only disadvantage is getting into bathroom a little tight but doable
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #8

We bought a foam mattress from Foam Factory www.thefoamfactory.com They have foam in all thicknesses and qualities. We got the HQ 6" standard double (cost $161), cut it down to size with an electric knife, slit the old cover, peeled it off, pulled it on the new mattress, and stitched it up. Or they will cut a custom and sew a custom cover if you prefer... Great upgrade, and they say the HQ foam lasts an average of 17 years. Better than the 1-2 years for cheap foam. We have been completely satisfied.
tommyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #9

One night on that horrible mattress was enough. Bought a full size 4" foam cover from Costco. Very easy to cut to size with a kitchen knife when the air temp was near freezing. Then added a mattress cover with one inch cotton padding, cotton sheets and sleep is just like at home.
Marionap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:29 AM   #10

Bought a good quality foam mattress with a zip on cover. Made a cardboard pattern from the wood base, transferred to exposed foam after zipping back the cover. Cut it with an electric knife, as seen on YouTube. Zipped it up, tucked in the excess cover. Great sleep on the new mattress. I can't believe that crummy mattress that came with the coach, had a built in "sink-hole."
peterfinurke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:21 AM   #11

A queen size Serta came in the Lite it's a little on the firm side so we picked up a 3 inch pad from Shopko.

http://images.shopko.com/get/w/475/h...d=notavailable
Old 10-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #12

We purchased a Serta 7" thick have got to use it for a week, loved it!
We looked at one even thicker but it came up a inch or 2 onto the window.
It doesn't bother us, the little overhang. Agree with the comment on the sinkhole mattress that came with the Solera
mckirby50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:08 AM   #13
bmp

Found Walmart "knock-off" Thermarest 1" pads that fit perfectly side-by-side in the bunk and corner bed. Put between the mattress and a mattress pad it seems to work every bit like a sleep number bed! Add or release air to get it just right.
bmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:21 PM   #14

We first did a topper - then a new mattress

We first tried a 4" memory foam topper, better but still not a good sleep.

The horrid mattress that came with the Solera should be sent a criminal museum in Europe to show how we in America can build torture machines too.

We then bought a new 8" multiple layer custom made foam mattress from
mattressinsider.com . We paid about $600 for the mattress and a couple of hundred for custom mattress covers and sheets.

It sleeps great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mattress order.png
Views:	148
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	44608  
Danperryy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:36 PM   #15

We also purchased a regular full size mattress from furniture store. Just overhangs the corner a bit, not a problem. Was alot taller than original, but we still have a few inches to the window, also not a problem. As comfortable as bed in house now, we love it.
keep camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #16
Commercial Member

I'd be curious what year those Solera's were . I asked for memory foam to be put in there a while back. The new mattresses should have a 2" memory foam top built in, but I will confirm.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I'd be curious what year those Solera's were . I asked for memory foam to be put in there a while back. The new mattresses should have a 2" memory foam top built in, but I will confirm.
Mine is a 2013 and it has a horrible mattress - no memory foam on that one, I can tell you! We did put about a 2 inch foam topper on ours and it has made it much better. Comes right under the window.
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Mine is a 2013 and it has a horrible mattress - no memory foam on that one, I can tell you! We did put about a 2 inch foam topper on ours and it has made it much better. Comes right under the window.
Our 2013 MS came with a "decent" mattress; at least it sleeps comfortably, but I'm not too sure about the durability.

I was in Costco earlier today. They have 2" Gel/memory foam toppers on display. Appear to be the answer to a lot of RV mattress woes. Seem to be excellent quality. Price for a Queen was a little over a $100 - can't remember exactly how much.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:55 PM   #19
Commercial Member

The M was a standard Serta. They won't make a Serta in the 24S size nor a split. Looks like we're only doing the memory foam in the Forester split mattress. I coulda swore we discussed otherwise...but I'll fix that shortly.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:36 PM   #20

The Serta Euro top that came with our 2012 Sunseeker 2300 is horrible. It has a giant sink hole in the middle. You can't help but roll to the middle. Very uncomfortable. We added a memory foam topper from Sam's last year and it helped a little. Sometime in the next couple months it is going to get totally replaced. Watching this thread and others for suggestions. Not many choices in a full length queen with radius corners.