Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2014, 05:14 PM   #1

Bad Radio Reception

I purchased a 2014 Solera recently. The radio will not pick up any stations out on the road. I have tried toggling between local and distance settings to no avail.
My dealer service manager tells me they will need to replace the back up camera and monitor because it is interfering with the radio. Hmmm, that's a whole different system so it doesn't make sense to me. Besides, that system is off unless I turn it on or when backing up.
Reception is OK in town, but get 10 miles away and there's no station that it picks up. Seems to me like the radio is stuck on "local", but I'm no electrical engineer.
Anyone else have this issue, and has it been resolved?
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:47 PM   #2

I don't have this issue - but I'd look to see if there's an actual attachment to an antenna.

Other than that, is reception better on one band (AM or FM) than the other? That might be a clue to the problem as well.

Good luck!
DaveJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:30 PM   #3

Like Davejordan said, sounds like you don't have an antenna hooked up. Either it is unplugged on the back of the radio or the coax/wire is broken to the antenna. Check the connection at the antenna also.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:27 PM   #4

The service manager at the dealer said they traced the connection to the antenna and it is connected. AM/FM/WB are equally weak.
My initial thought was it's not connected at the radio. Or the antenna cable has a screw through it somewhere, if that is possible, during assembly.
Why in the world the dealer thinks it's the backup camera is beyond me. I did speak with Travis in the technical assistance area at FR today and he said there had been several reports of this issue.....but he offered no solution other than saying the back up camera system should not be the issue.
I told him the Magnadyne (SP?) radio really sucks, not just because of this, but in overall operation, IMO. He said that in the last couple of months they have switched over to Jensen stereos. I guess I should have waited for a new one, or maybe just upgrade what I have. Just hate to have spent 80 grand on a rig and nobody seems to know why the radio doesn't work!!!!
Old 11-12-2014, 07:51 PM   #5

I agree
Have the magnadyne and radio not great however it streams my iPhone great and if you fuss with the equalizer it sounds great too.
I stream iTunes Radio and it sounds like I have a cd in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:55 PM   #6
Site Team

You don't say what ant or what radio, but some of them have the antenna wired thru the TV amp ( if you have one) If the amp is off you will have bad reception, Try pushing the power button on the inside TV antenna jack coverplate.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:08 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to B and B
The Radio Antenna has a preamp, needs 12 volts to work. Have the dealer confirm there is power.
Screws, yes i had one through the Sat cable to my bedroom, fixed and works fine.

Brian
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:41 PM   #8

It's a standard issue magnadyne stereo/dvd/gps unit with subwoofer and a small whip antenna located on the roof above where the microwave is inside my 2014 Solera 24R. The antenna coax runs from there to the cockpit, inside the walls &/or ceiling.
I thought about the TV amp already and tried it, but no luck.
B and B: Do you know where the radio antenna preamp is located? Dash? Maybe it's not getting power. I doubt the dealer service dept. checked it.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:32 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I know this goes into a different direction but in my 5er the FM radio cuts out when I turn on the LED lights. Turn off the LED lights the radio comes back on. I was told the LEDs interfere with things. Is there something that comes on that blocks the radio?
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:24 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnbnb View Post
I purchased a 2014 Solera recently. The radio will not pick up any stations out on the road. I have tried toggling between local and distance settings to no avail.
My dealer service manager tells me they will need to replace the back up camera and monitor because it is interfering with the radio. Hmmm, that's a whole different system so it doesn't make sense to me. Besides, that system is off unless I turn it on or when backing up.
I recall that being an issue a while back. Something about the cables not being shielded or something and running close together. Let them do their thing with the known issues and then get to the unknown issues. Radio reception is an issue inherent with RV's with the antenna location on the fender.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:14 PM   #11

BClemens- The radio antenna on my 2014 Solera 24R is on the roof, not the fender. Right hand side, above the microwave. I wish it was on the fender, then it would be a breeze to trace the connection (dealer tells me it's connected fine as it sits).
Is there a preamp on the antenna? Where is it on the 24R?
Or maybe the Magnadyne unit is not switching to distant from local.
Can I drive it to the factory and get this fixed? Do you do your own warranty work or do I have to go thru a dealer?
Old 11-13-2014, 07:20 PM   #12
Commercial Member

You could come to factory, but need appt. The antenna normally gets spliced in the fridge cabinet or microwave cabinet. Others with Solera antenna on roof are not having issues. More have issues with fender mount. We typically ship the fender mount with the unit. Could be back up interference (but warranty would know what range was affected). Not sure about pre-amp. I'll have to ask at the plant in the morning.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:43 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Doesn't appears to be powered.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #14
Commercial Member

Barnbnb

Contact Rear View Safety at 1-800-764-1028 extension 819. If you give Sean your info, he should be able to tell you (and assist you) if it is the back up monitor that is causing the issue.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:14 AM   #15
Site Team

Are your LEDs factory installed or aftermarket. Many of the cheap Chinese led replacements use very (RF) noisy components in their circuits and this overwhelms the front end of the radio receiver causing it to cut out. If they are factory installed, sak your dealer to locate the offending light and replace with a quality LED module. If you are buying aftermarket modules, I recommend buying one and trying it before buying more.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:41 PM   #16

UPDATE: I talked with Sean at Rear View Safety. He says there is no interference possible from the camera system.
So I then spoke to Magnadyne Radio. They say there IS interference on some units from the camera (not the monitor). The Magnadyne guy I talked with said he even made a trip from their HQ in CA to the FR factory to address this, so it is a known issue. Evidently some cameras or their cabling emits interference.
So I guess my RV service provider was correct as to what is going on. However, it's been two months now since they diagnosed the problem, yet they have not received the parts to fix it from the camera company.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:16 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Are your LEDs factory installed or aftermarket. Many of the cheap Chinese led replacements use very (RF) noisy components in their circuits and this overwhelms the front end of the radio receiver causing it to cut out. If they are factory installed, sak your dealer to locate the offending light and replace with a quality LED module. If you are buying aftermarket modules, I recommend buying one and trying it before buying more.
Flybob-
Not a motorhome owner but had all my stock faulty lights replaced at Goshen last summer. They do create RFI where aware of it and corrected the problem by just asking.

Brian
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:39 AM   #18
'79 Bonneville

Can someone provide the Jensen model number that is being installed now?
bcunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcunning View Post
Can someone provide the Jensen model number that is being installed now?
The model installed in my (relatively recent) 2015 Solera is VM9726BT.

Hope that helps!
DaveJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:17 PM   #20
'79 Bonneville

Thanks. We expect our 24R to be delivered around March. I just downloaded the operator's manual so we can learn how to use it prior to that.
bcunning is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio, reception