Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2012, 05:04 PM   #1

Block Heater on Solera

I'd like to take my 2010 Solera into snow country and wonder if someone can help me locate the block heater. Also wondering if I should run diesel #1 instead of #2 in the mountains and whether I need to winterize the fresh water system for a 5 day trip with night temps in the teens. Thanks for any advice for this newby.
scarlton46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #2

Are you sure there suppose to be a block heater on it or is that an option? I think I would stick with Diesel #2 maybe look at additives to pervent jelling. The fresh water tank doesn't have a heater on it althou you can get one for it depending on the model Solera the fresh water tank should be above the frame inside of the cabin?
Old 11-26-2012, 11:35 PM   #3

The fresh water tank is located under the bed inside the cabin. If it gets that cold inside the RV, do you really think you want to be there. Your MB 6 cyl turbo charged diesel requires the low sulphur diesel to operate within design specs. Winter blend diesel has anti-gel compounds added at the refinery. You can as stated by the previous person introduce an additive to prevent gelling in extreme cold conditions.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #4

Low sulphur diesel out of the pump works just fine to well below zero degrees Fahrenheit for reasons explained previously in this thread. Your fresh water tank, water pump and connecting pipes will be frozen solid well before diesel becomes a problem.
Don Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:19 AM   #5

As stated above, if it is that cold inside the RV do you really want to be there??? You may experience some freezing of waste tanks, but some units blow a little heat into the basement area from the cabin heater.
wickedrevs56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedrevs56 View Post
As stated above, if it is that cold inside the RV do you really want to be there??? You may experience some freezing of waste tanks, but some units blow a little heat into the basement area from the cabin heater.
This may depend on your destination.

I have stayed in Yosemite in December twice.

The first time was in a backpacking tent, pitched on top on 4 inches of snow. I do not know what the the overnight low was, but it definitely was below 15F. By dawn it was pretty cold so we go up and stood around the revived campfire.

The second time was in a 28 foot Southwind MH, also in December. We had some trouble starting the generator in the mornings but otherwise all was well.

Yosemite in December through February is a great place to be.

The interesting part for me was that my 4wd truck did a little slipping and sliding on the ice on the loop roads in the campground. The MH just crushed through the 2 inch layer of ice.

When camping in cold weather always leave a wet wash cloth outside on the picnic table. In the morning it makes a nice Frisbee, for awhile.
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote