Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #1

Cab window shields

After a recent outing in the desert at 112°, I'm looking to get a reflective shield kit for the windshield and side cab windows.

Looking at this setup.

Dodge - Freightliner Sprinter Van: Accessories and Equipment

Anyone have this or one like it? Does it work ok with the backup camera display?

If you have something else you like, please let me know where you got it.
Ogsarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
2018 FR3 30DS

We ordered the 89 dollar set about 2 years ago. I assume they do what they are supposed to do as far as insulation and privacy are concerned. We use them all the time, summer and winter.
There is another type that I am not familiar with also at this same company and they are 109 dollars...
I think a lot of Solera owners buy merchandise from this company from what has been posted in the past.

http://sprinterstore.com/window_insulation.htm
Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #3

I ordered these from High End Motorsports.

Mercedes-Benz Sprinter mercedes-benz-sprinter-windshield-sunshade-set 1 66.90 Front Sides = Pair of Front Side
Windshield SunShade Set Shades
2003-2014

They work exceptionally well in they Florida sunshine
DavidS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogsarg View Post
After a recent outing in the desert at 112°, I'm looking to get a reflective shield kit for the windshield and side cab windows.

Looking at this setup.

Dodge - Freightliner Sprinter Van: Accessories and Equipment

Anyone have this or one like it? Does it work ok with the backup camera display?

If you have something else you like, please let me know where you got it.
I ordered a set of these from Eurocampers.com - mine are attached with suction cups, which are quick and easy, but I understand during the winter they don't hold too well. Comes with storage bag. The more expensive ones attach with velcro and straps, apparently no storage bag - you roll them up and secure with elastic strap?. I have no idea which would be better. But they do work. I haven't been in the desert, but at 97 degrees here in NC, the cab stays comfotable.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #5

I have the same roll up one as Slow_Moving. I use it when we aren't camping to keep the heat out and the sun off the dash. I have a windshield cover I use when camping. It goes on the outside all the way around the windshield and side windows.
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #6

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-587310691.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	36700
Old 08-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #7

Your best option including price is from High End Motorsports. These have reflective suction cups and are very good at reflecting the excess heat from sunlight. There is a seperate post on this about 6 mo. Ago.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #8

I don't know why you wouldn't want to use an outside snoot boot? Stop the heat before it gets inside to begin with. If you have it on the inside of the window if there are any gaps in the coverage it well allow the heat in. Where if you have the one that is on the outside it woud be easier to make sure it is all closed off.

Maybe I'm off base but if we get the M we are going to look at on next Tuesday that is the style I'm going to look at.

Has anybody tried the one on the outside and if so does it keep the heat out? From the pictures it apperars that is what Debbie is using.
butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:43 PM   #9

I use the High End Motorsports inside on mine and I think it is very handy. Although I will probably also get the outside one later I like the fact that I can put the shields up without leaving the cab.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch50 View Post
I don't know why you wouldn't want to use an outside snoot boot? Stop the heat before it gets inside to begin with. If you have it on the inside of the window if there are any gaps in the coverage it well allow the heat in. Where if you have the one that is on the outside it woud be easier to make sure it is all closed off.

Maybe I'm off base but if we get the M we are going to look at on next Tuesday that is the style I'm going to look at.

Has anybody tried the one on the outside and if so does it keep the heat out? From the pictures it apperars that is what Debbie is using.
The Outside Boots work fine. However, they are HEAVY - several pounds, and with a Solera, that's of primary importance. Also, If you've ever camped in inclement weather, it's no fun taking them off when they're frozen, or when it's raining, or when they're covered with ice or frost, and then having to stow them wet (mildew, you know). The inside ones weigh almost nothing, and can be put up from the inside in inclement weather, and can be taken down and stowed inside without having to go out into inclement weather. The Reflective material REFLECTS heat away, whereas the boot absorbs it. They're inside, and if you go away from your camper for a while, you can lock your camper and not worry about someone using a five-finger discount and getting them. Yeah, I know you secure them over the door with straps, but some thieves will try to rip them loose anyway.

Just some considerations based on past experience!!

To each his own, I guess.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorgso View Post
The Outside Boots work fine. However, they are HEAVY - several pounds, and with a Solera, that's of primary importance. Also, If you've ever camped in inclement weather, it's no fun taking them off when they're frozen, or when it's raining, or when they're covered with ice or frost, and then having to stow them wet (mildew, you know). The inside ones weigh almost nothing, and can be put up from the inside in inclement weather, and can be taken down and stowed inside without having to go out into inclement weather. The Reflective material REFLECTS heat away, whereas the boot absorbs it. They're inside, and if you go away from your camper for a while, you can lock your camper and not worry about someone using a five-finger discount and getting them. Yeah, I know you secure them over the door with straps, but some thieves will try to rip them loose anyway.

Just some considerations based on past experience!!

To each his own, I guess.

Ed,

t hadn't thought of all the other things you brought up, I think I'm going to have to rethink what I was going to get if I buy the one we are going to look at.

I very aware of weight, when you have a slide in truck camper you almost weigh every bandaid you add into your load. There are hardly any trucks with truck campers on it that are not overloaded. I have seen people post their weights and I'm amazed that the truck doesn't break in half. Some people with SRW trucks hauling big double and triple slide units and they post their weight and it well be in the 14 to 15,000# reange and this is on a truck with a 11,000# or less GVWR. They are really overloaded.

You folks over here are being very careful about the weight you have on your rigs. GOOD FOR YOU GUYS.

Butch
butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:35 AM   #12

Like my earlier post said, I use both, but for different reasons. I love the outside one for camping, makes it very private and keeps out the heat. It is not heavy at all, very light. Yes, you do have to dry it out when you get home if you store it wet. But have to do the same for my outside rug, so no big deal. I will NEVER go camping where it might snow, so that is not an issue for me. Now I use the inside reflective one for parking it in front of our house in New Orleans. I'm quite sure the outside one would walk away in the middle of the night if I put it on there, if you know what I mean :-(
Both serve there specific purpose well.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:41 AM   #13

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3986628835.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	36726
Old 08-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #14
Commercial Member

matching Lexington & Solera? Was that on purpose? His and hers?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
matching Lexington & Solera? Was that on purpose? His and hers?
Ha-ha. No, the Lexington is our best friends. He had an older Class A, but it really was too big to put in his yard, so he had to store it. That made it hard to just up and go. When we got our Solera, that got him to looking. He a was going to get a Solera, but needed more towing capacity. He's the dedicated tower! So, ended up with a Lexington. When we go camping, you will see both the Solera and the Lexington. (Wont leave home without him!). By the way, meet Displaced2 - better known as Wilson to us!!!!
Old 08-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #16

Thanks for all the input. Ordered a set from High end motorsports. Was going to order a set from sprinteraccessories.com but their shipping is outrageous. $39.00 if you can believe that. High end was 4.95.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:00 PM   #17

An accident in September and subsequent recovery prevented me from doing anything with the Solera till now.

Tried the shades today and they are just OK. Both the windshield and side shades are just a little undersized. The side shades have suction cups that don't hold all that well or at least not right now when it's a bit cold. Perhaps they will work better when they warm up. They aren't falling off…or at least they haven't yet, but would prefer there was another way of securing them.

The windshield shade fits perfect top to bottom but leaves about a 1/4" gap on either side. Maybe on a hot day, they'll expand a little.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #18

Quote:
The side shades have suction cups that don't hold all that well or at least not right now when it's a bit cold. Perhaps they will work better when they warm up. They aren't falling off…or at least they haven't yet, but would prefer there was another way of securing them.
At the risk of sounding unsanitary may I suggest you spread a little saliva over the cups to help secure them better. I do this and mine have stayed secured through the coldest weather.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #19

Quote:
An accident in September and subsequent recovery prevented me from doing anything with the Solera till now. Tried the shades today and they are just OK. Both the windshield and side shades are just a little undersized. The side shades have suction cups that don't hold all that well or at least not right now when it's a bit cold. Perhaps they will work better when they warm up. They aren't falling off…or at least they haven't yet, but would prefer there was another way of securing them. The windshield shade fits perfect top to bottom but leaves about a 1/4" gap on either side. Maybe on a hot day, they'll expand a little.
I don't think they expand, but could be wrong! Sorry you haven't been able to use your Solera. Glad to hear you are ok and can now. That is something to be Thankful for. Happy Thanksgiving.