Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2021, 02:06 AM   #1

Can you ADD a Turbo?

This may be a silly ? but here goes...

We got our 2013 Solera 24R last year (2012 MBS Chasis - 34k miles if that matters) all is well so far, getting to know the rig and systems with only a few hickups...

Talking with a friend who also has a Solera he dropped in conversation that his TURBO was acting up - Say what??? Having driven ours a bit - it rolls along fine but we most certainly have NO TURBO.

Please forgive my diesel engine ignorance - is ADDING a TURBO to our existing engine even possible? Tell me more - - -
  • What kind of cost might we incur?
  • Other risks or considerations to this MOD?

Papa wants to GO Fast -

Mc

mconti1859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:19 AM   #2
Mopar Guy

your 2012 MB sprinter chassis is a turbo...

i believe on this engine the turbo is snuggled into the back of the of the valley of the V.
Cost4133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconti1859 View Post

We got our 2013 Solera 24R last year (2012 MBS Chasis - 34k miles if that matters) all is well so far, getting to know the rig and systems with only a few hickups...

Talking with a friend who also has a Solera he dropped in conversation that his TURBO was acting up - Say what??? Having driven ours a bit - it rolls along fine but we most certainly have NO TURBO.

Please forgive my diesel engine ignorance - is ADDING a TURBO to our existing engine even possible? Tell me more - - -

Papa wants to GO Fast -

Mc

You have a turbo if you have a 3.0 L engine. That's a small diesel and the Turbo makes it go.

There is an approx. two-inch duct running from the air cleaner to the Turbo. The duct exits the passenger side of the air cleaner.

BTW, DON"T disconnect that duct from the turbo unless you have read all the particulars for reinstalling it.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:08 AM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconti1859 View Post

Papa wants to GO Fast -

Mc

Couple of things......
Have you ever had a turbo powered vehicle before?
I believe you’ll find most (if not all) diesels have turbos.
Don’t expect the “kick ass” performance like my turbo powered Mustang on my gas engine. Remember, you’re driving a house.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Remember, you’re driving a house.
Kenandterry, you made me smile.

If someone told me a couple of years ago that I would be driving a house, I would have asked what were they drinking.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:45 PM   #6

If you already have a turbo on your engine I'd go with it rather than trying to upsize.

Adding more boost may improve performance but often at the expense of longevity.

My Son used to play with turbocharged Toyota Supra's. Belonged to a huge club that used to get together for "dyno runs" where the horsepower was shown off. All the engines were 3 Liter Toyota engines and some HP output was unbelievable. One car logged a whopping 1100 Hp at a "meet". Problem was, after a couple of dyno-runs it was time to tear down and rebuild, just like the Top Fuel dragster motors.

Most owners were quite comfortable with much lower HP output in favor of longevity.

Just like the factory engineers design into the engines from the beginning.

Want to go fast? Leave the RV alone and just tow a Dodge Charger "Hellcat" around behind it

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:29 PM   #7

As a side-bar comment. One of the greatest advantages of a turbo is having sea-level HP at altitude. As a generalization, most turbos will not "feel" the altitude until you crest 8000 to 8500 feet, and then the HP/Torque begins dropping off at the same rate as it does with a normally aspirated engine as it leaves sea level.

So, your engine may not make awesome power to begin with, but unlike my "Hemi" V-8 gasser, which is a dog relatively speaking at 8300 feet, your V-6 turbo will likely be making sea level power as you zoom up into the Rockies...and eastern mountains will be well within the turbo's capability to compensate for altitude.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:51 PM   #8

(Just FYI - I don't own a Solera... )

As someone mentioned earlier... if you know you have a diesel engine, you are 99% certain to have a turbocharger factory installed; almost any modern commercially-produced diesel has them, nowadays. From the sound of it, there's no factory-installed boost gauge, though, which is a shame. If that's the case, I'd find a way to add one, personally, just so I wasn't "in the dark".

If you do have a turbodiesel, can you extract more performance out of it?
With something like a pre-configured controller, it might be possible to get as much as another 50-60 HP -- but you'll likely have a price to pay with emissions, fuel economy, or both. The adage 'no free lunch' applies, of course.
The best of these connect via OBD-II, and you can select from various tunes (e.g.; fuel economy, towing, etc.) Easily removable and no permanent changes to the engine. Bully Dog is one such company (I make no endorsements; just providing a name to get started with).
Doing a quick Google search, it appears they *do* make at least one device for the Sprinter, and in an RV configuration, to boot. But I didn't navigate to their page, so no details, here.)

If you have a gas engine... one can likely be added (all things are possible, given enough time and money), but with the following caveats...

- Say goodbye to any remaining warranty you have on the engine

- It's not going to be cheap

- It's not going to be easy (especially if you don't have experience with forced induction). Also, see 'not cheap', above.

- Depending on 'how fast' papa really wants to go, beefing up the engine internals (forged rods / pistons, perhaps even a crank) may be needed. If that's a Sprinter chassis, then you most likely have a M-B engine. You'll need to do your homework on how strong it is in factory trim. Again, see 'not cheap', above.
With large amounts of boost, more and higher octane fuel is needed, as well.

- Unless you go with something like a rear-mount turbo, expect a LOT of extra heat in the engine bay, which can stress other components in the area. Maintenance likely becomes a pain, with a bunch of exhaust pipe now blocking things in the engine bay that were easier to access, pre-turbo.

As far as rear mounts, STS makes a 'universal' system (you can find them at Holley's website, who owns / markets them). But you'll need to fabricate the exhaust plumbing yourself. Know how to weld, or have a buddy that does?
Reprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:46 PM   #9

I think most trucks/RVs with diesel have turbos, hell, my 1/2 ton chevy 3.0 has one.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote