Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2015, 08:13 AM   #1

CEL and DEF Light

Wow TV not working turned out to be least of our problems. Started towards Death Valley and CEL came on. Have had this happen before and has cleared after a few restarts. Stopped for lunch and when we started on our way DECF light comes on and I know Def tank is almost full but pull over and check the fluid and as I expected fluid is fine. Restart and Def is counting down the number of starts left before limp mode. NO dealer handy and do not want to chance breakdown further from home so cancel trip and head home as everything is running fine. After 8 hour trip home fighting wind, rain and snow will unload everything and head to Redding Freightliner and hope they can sort out the problem. Beginning to think should have kept the fiver and old Chevy truck, never had to cancel trip when using them.
BadBob
BadBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:11 AM   #2

My local Freightliner dealer will not touch my MBS.

BTW, check your fuel cap for CEL . Make sure it is on all the way. Not sure if it can cause problem on the MBS, but it can on some vehicles.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:25 AM   #3

Cap on tight, Freightliner dealer says bring it in and they will take care of everything no problem. Only place near me that works on Sprinter..
Thank You
BadBob
Old 03-23-2015, 12:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBob View Post
Cap on tight, Freightliner dealer says bring it in and they will take care of everything no problem. Only place near me that works on Sprinter..
Thank You
BadBob
Excellent! I wish my Freightliner dealer would work MBS.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:44 PM   #5

DEF

I have to go to Richmond, VA for mine. 70 miles one way. Has anyone had the engine computer upgrade yet. It is a warranty repair, could not find out over the phone what problems it fixes over the phone. Will know on Wed.
2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
Palmyra,VA
MountainTrippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTrippers View Post
I have to go to Richmond, VA for mine. 70 miles one way. Has anyone had the engine computer upgrade yet. It is a warranty repair, could not find out over the phone what problems it fixes over the phone. Will know on Wed.
I have not heard anything concerning engine computer upgrade. Is yours a 2014 chassis?
Old 03-23-2015, 01:05 PM   #7

Service

Mine is a 2013. I did not get a notice but I called and had them look to see if there was anything and it came up. I also saw it on the internet under recalls. Just trying to make sure everything is up to date before I leave on my trip.
Palmyra,VA
Old 03-23-2015, 04:11 PM   #8
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Sorry to hear about trouble. It sounds more serious than my grey tank valve problem. Newbie questions, what is Cel? How long can you ignore it? Regarding DEF, how many starts before dead?
Old 03-23-2015, 04:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeOnWheels View Post
Sorry to hear about trouble. It sounds more serious than my grey tank valve problem. Newbie questions, what is Cel? How long can you ignore it? Regarding DEF, how many starts before dead?
Cel (check engine light) DEF 16 starts.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:57 PM   #10

Sounds like a software issue to me. I think cars and trucks (particularly anything that runs on diesel) are getting too smart for their own good.

Like Mr. Scott said: "The more they dress up the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:45 PM   #11

Just got home from dropping the Solera off at the Redding Freightliners service department. They will call when they know what the problem is and what needs done. Service rep seems to think it should not be any big problem and hopes to have it ready in a day or so. So far very easy to work with them, will let you know what they find.
Thank You
BadBob
Old 03-23-2015, 06:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBob View Post
Just got home from dropping the Solera off at the Redding Freightliners service department. They will call when they know what the problem is and what needs done. Service rep seems to think it should not be any big problem and hopes to have it ready in a day or so. So far very easy to work with them, will let you know what they find.
Thank You
BadBob
I had a similar experience in january heading to Tampa from ottawa. 50 miles out of town the DEF and CEL come on and ive got 16 starts. I put DEF in (only took a quart or so) and continued on my way. Shortly after the DW says 16 starts or 500 miles. Oh oh... so we drove on into Pennsylvania and stopped at a Mercedes-Benz dealer. No sprinter tech on Saturday. Over to the freightliner dealer. No tech on Saturday. Drove on and finally the DEF light went out. No limit on starts. But I had done far more than 500 miles before it reset itself. Finally in tampa a wonderful dealer took me in. Diagnosed it as a malfunction of the emmisions computer or the NOx sensors. Because I'm canadian he can't touch the computer (different federal regulations) but he changes out the two sensors and I've had no trouble since.
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:25 AM   #13

On the GM diesels they have extended the warranty for the Nox sensors because of this problem. Supposedly it happens more frequently with vehicles that aren't driven regularly with low miles.
dbryan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:52 PM   #14

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTrippers View Post
Mine is a 2013. I did not get a notice but I called and had them look to see if there was anything and it came up. I also saw it on the internet under recalls. Just trying to make sure everything is up to date before I leave on my trip.
I got the update and it took about 1 hr. Sure improved the low end gitty up. They said it was a complete program update. That's all I have on it.
Palmyra,VA
Old 03-30-2015, 03:23 PM   #15

Just took mine in today for an ABS,ESP and ASR light. Turned out to be a bad wheel sensor. While I was there they also did the recall software for the engine and a free wash. All is well now. Does seem to have a little better getup.
First chassis problem in 17,000 miles. Hope it is last.

Kudos for Mercedez-Benz of Clear Lake Texas.

Tags
light