Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2014, 11:19 AM   #1

Continental Vanco fourseasons Tire Air Pressure Chart

My new Solera 24R has the Continental Vancofourseasons tires. The sidewall states 80 psi at maximum load. However, I'm not even close to the maximum load so there is no need to run at 80 PSI (which wears tires faster, gives a rougher ride and longer stopping distance).

For the tires on my diesel pusher I was always able to find a chart and maintained my psi according to my actual front and rear weight.

But I can't find a table for these tires. Does anyone have access to one?

Thanks
lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:04 PM   #2

I searched for this info a while ago...and didn't find specific info for the Continental tires. But...I did find this info from Goodyear, with all kinds of neat tables for figuring out the proper inflation pressures:

http://www.goodyeartrucktires.com/pd...dinflation.pdf

As near as I can tell, inflation / load calculations depend on the load rating (E) and size of the tire (LT 215/85R16 115/112 Q), but not on the specific tire make or model.

Anyway, based on this info, and the axle weights of the Solera, I concluded that the correct pressure is somewhere less than the 60 psi recommended by MB. But, bowing to sentiment on this forum that tires should always be a bit overinflated, I've got mine set at 65. Go figure.

Dave
DaveJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 04:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
I searched for this info a while ago...and didn't find specific info for the Continental tires. But...I did find this info from Goodyear, with all kinds of neat tables for figuring out the proper inflation pressures:

http://www.goodyeartrucktires.com/pd...dinflation.pdf

As near as I can tell, inflation / load calculations depend on the load rating (E) and size of the tire (LT 215/85R16 115/112 Q), but not on the specific tire make or model.

Anyway, based on this info, and the axle weights of the Solera, I concluded that the correct pressure is somewhere less than the 60 psi recommended by MB. But, bowing to sentiment on this forum that tires should always be a bit overinflated, I've got mine set at 65. Go figure.

Dave
I'm confused if max pressure is 80psi and the Solera is usually near weight limit, why would you reduce pressure by some 25%. Wouldn't you think that isn't wise. Low inflation generates more sidewall flex =heat etc. Just sayin'
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 05:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
I'm confused if max pressure is 80psi and the Solera is usually near weight limit, why would you reduce pressure by some 25%. Wouldn't you think that isn't wise. Low inflation generates more sidewall flex =heat etc. Just sayin'
While the Solera is near the weight limit of the chassis, the wheel weights are no where near the weight limits of the tires. According to the Goodyear info, the LT 215/85 R 16 load range E tires have a maximum load, per tire, of 2680 lbs (for single tires) and 2470 lbs for duals at 80 psi. The Solera has two singles and four duals so the maximum load of those tires is 15,280 lbs - way more than the maximum capacity of the Sprinter chassis. The max chassis capacity is 11,030 (as I recall...). If that were divided equally among six tires it would come to around 1800 lbs / tire which, again according to the Goodyear info, would mean a tire pressure of about 55 psi.

While it's certainly true that under inflation can cause excess heat and lead to early failure, it's also true that over inflation will lead to shorter tread life, a harsher ride, and potentially compromised handling.

Dave
Old 10-15-2014, 06:56 AM   #5

My 2015 Sunseeker 2400R MBS has a sticker on the driver door jamb listing 61psi. I am not referring to any Mercedes TP sticker. The one I refer to was stuck on by FR.
khocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:59 AM   #6

Yup, that's a FR sticker...not an MB sticker...
Old 10-15-2014, 09:23 AM   #7

61 sound about right? I've been meaning to go get weighed somewhere and doing the PSI calculations using those charts and formulas for the purpose. I've been running 63# FWIW.
khocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:35 PM   #8

While it's certainly true that under inflation can cause excess heat and lead to early failure, it's also true that over inflation will lead to shorter tread life, a harsher ride, and potentially compromised handling.

Dave[/QUOTE]

The wear pattern for over inflation is readily apparent upon routine tire inspection walk around. Heat, due to excessive side wall flex, beyond design spec is not readily apparent and should be a concern if your just looking for a smoother ride. Also, that smoother ride may get you the opposite wear pattern, known as under inflation tire wear, just sayin'

Personally, i'd stay closer to the max pressure of 80 psi, monitor tire wear and not worry about the heat issue.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:38 PM   #9

If you weigh your MH be sure to weigh each axle then calculate the tire load. Also full of fuel and amount of cargo you usually carry.
13larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:44 AM   #10

I've always been told to follow the vehicle manufacturers guide for tire inflation and not the tire maker. The vehicle maker takes into account mileage, handling, stopping, ride quality, etc. for the specific vehicle. I've been using the guide on the door jam.

I think using the max. pressure could lead to very poor handling and potentially dangerous.
Ogsarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:21 AM   #11

Under inflation= bad planning.

https://www.google.com/#q=under+infl...ires+dangerous

Dangers of Driving on Under-Inflated TIres | Bailey & Greer PLLC

/

Tags
pressure, tire