Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2015, 10:41 AM   #1

Do we like 27% off MSRP??

I've honed in a particular new unit, and have been offered 27% off MSRP.

Do we like this % or do we think there might be more room? Or should I smile and accept this pretty haggle free offer?
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:06 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post

Do we like this % or do we think there might be more room? Or should I smile and accept this pretty haggle free offer?
That is not bad, but there are some better savings out there.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:09 AM   #3

Yeah I'm both pleased with it and at the same time thinking..hmmm What more might there be...

I also wonder sometimes to myself.... how easy would it be for a dealer to misrepresent MSRP - not saying they do it, but it sure would be easy.

Basically looking at a 2016 Forester 2401, seems to be optioned out with everything and the final price being well within my budget. Is it bad etiquette to actually say the price offered?
Old 05-11-2015, 11:12 AM   #4

We looked at three different dealers and all were within a $1,000 of each other on MSRP we bought from the one that gave us 34 percent off msrp.
VT Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:13 AM   #5

interesting, so there might be a little more digging.....
Old 05-11-2015, 11:22 AM   #6

We got about 35% off on a Sunseeker from rvdirect.com. Check their site you will see the retail price but need to send in an email request for the discounted price. In our case they responded back with a sale price in about 2 hours. We are very happy with our purchase. Good luck.
edcronin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:24 AM   #7

How much they take off will also depend on how much of it they can make up on finance kick-back,bogus "doc fees", and prep fees. Don't forget to factor those is too.

2015 Evo 2700
2017 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4.10
Evo2700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:30 AM   #8
Canadian Member

I have never bought brand new. I let someone else take the initial depreciation hit and accept that there's more risk buying used. However, Evo2700 is correct regarding the extra fees some dealers try to impose. Negotiate based on an "out the door" price so you can compare apples to apples.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:31 AM   #9

A good deal is a state of mind. Do your homework. Check around and stand your ground.
markofgloucester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:34 AM   #10

Wish I would have tried RV Direct when I bought mine???

gtiny2
gtony2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:56 AM   #11

There are several ways to look at:

first, you always pay too much for a bad RV and not enough for a good one;
two, the price is driven by how successful the dealer and manufacturer are; and,
third, how good are you at buying.

The economy has improved over that last few years and the push to get product out the door at any price has turned. That means the 45 to 50 % discounts are gone until you decide to sell yours. And lastly, buying an RV is a terrible investment. You are going to loose a bundle no matter what. And, yes I own one.

Hell, join us fools that own one. We need the company so we can all cry together.
Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:57 AM   #12

oooo I forgot about RV Direct!

Well, I always secure my financing outside of the dealer prior to even negotiating. I also asked the dealer to list all fees, and they listed very little citing any other fees where included in the price of the RV.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:01 PM   #13

30-35% off would be my goal; maybe throw in a couple of perks as well. This is the beginning of the RV season, so deals may be harder to get.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:03 PM   #14

Saving more money!

In our purchase last year we learned a couple of things, first, just as with a car / truck purchase, the dealer will do pretty much ANYTHING to make that purchase happen, especially if you shop by monthly price to you over total price for the unit.
For some that's the way to go but you will almost always pay more than you wanted to! Second, set a max total price for yourself for the unit you want by online shopping and stick to it! If they wont work with you there are definitely a ton of options in buying an RV.
We were all happy, felt we got a good deal and saved a good amount, signed all the sale documents then when we got back home read that the interest rate we bought our trailer had been kept but with a longer term we didn't want and had specifically said we didn't want. But we had missed it in talking with the real boss of any dealer, the finance person!
Nice and friendly is good, and she went through and read the entire document with us and we missed it, but READ THE PAPERWORK especially if you are varying from the standard terms like 108 months etc. My wife was very upset when we got home but we couldn't change it back to the term as we'd already committed and signed to the printed terms. Except for that glitch and spending over half a day at the dealership "doin' the deal", we are very happy with the trailer. Also, if affordable to you I say get insurance that covers the full cost replacement value of the unit! The dealer will make money on your purchase no matter what! My quarters worth of advice.
Tdbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:11 PM   #15

Yeppers, this isnt my first go around and I have three things in my pocket.

1) I've got my own financing - and I don't always tell the dealer this until the last minute.
2) I know that RV's are EVERYWHERE - there's 10's of thousands of them for sale, so nothing is special.
3) I'm in no particular hurry.

It just so happens that a dealer nearby has pretty much just what I've been looking for, so why not take a stab at it right?

Oh and also, at this price point, we're not talking about huge differences - fluctuations in the 10k range, not that 10k isn't 10k, but I mean to say it's different than say a $400k unit where a couple of % points equates to a whole lot more money overall. All in all, if I can make 27%change to 35% I'll do it.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:13 PM   #16

What's RV Directs web address?
Old 05-11-2015, 12:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I have never bought brand new. I let someone else take the initial depreciation hit and accept that there's more risk buying used. However, Evo2700 is correct regarding the extra fees some dealers try to impose. Negotiate based on an "out the door" price so you can compare apples to apples.
A lot of that hit is a myth-----if you know how to negotiate, take care of your stuff and know how to sell. I've bought 4 campers from a dealership in the past 4 years or so. 1st was used- used it for ~8mos and sold it for a 19.7% profit- no money invested, just cleaned it well. 2nd one was new- used it for 2.5 years and sold it for an 11.4% loss. 3rd one was new- we used for ~8 mos. and broke even on it. We have found it to be almost impossible to find a used one that has been kept clean to our standards, and we've been able to buy NEW from RVWholesalers for what local dealers ask for units that are 2-3 years old and look like a pack of wild dogs have lived in them.

To the OP, you REALLY need to check into RVWholesalers. I've been able to save several thousand dollars off of my trailers- and we're talking units that sell for the $20K neighborhood. Some people have saved as much as $10K+ on high end trailers. I've shopped RVDirect every time and they can't touch RVW. RVD offers a $250 discount for financing with them whereas RVW offers typically around $3K. Even if the interest rate is higher than you can secure (I have excellent credit and have always gotten within .25% at RVW), you can just refi after a year. Another benefit with RVW is that they have a nationwide network of dealers that will perform warranty work for them. RVDirect does not. Oh, and RVDirect charges shipping to themselves and then you still have to pay for delivery to you if you aren't local. There is no manufacturer to RVW delivery charge, which typically saves another $600+.
dustman_stx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:19 PM   #18
Wait till next year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post

It depends. RVW and RVone/direct will send you a price quote usually in a couple of hours by email. Be sure to look thru the options you want or are on the model your looking at. I figured I saved $6-7 grand using RVone. Remember though they have limlted locations and depending on luck of the draw you may have complications with your new unit which could be hard to resolve with a distant dealer. And as has been said some local dealers will not repair a unit they didnt sell. Again I would use them for at least a price point that you could use in talking to the dealer. Out of curiosity what are you looking at?
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:20 PM   #19

RVWholesalers is The Original RV Wholesalers - RV Sales, RV Parts, RV Dealer, RV Super Store Dealer, 5th Wheel, Forest River, btw.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:25 PM   #20

[QUOTE=n-e-d;860147 Again I would use them for at least a price point that you could use in talking to the dealer. Out of curiosity what are you looking at?[/QUOTE]

I always price shop but I NEVER let another dealer know what I've been quoted from someone else. They can give me their best price and I'll either take it or not. If you use places such as RVWholesalers as nothing more than a tool to coerce your local dealer into getting their pricing where it should have been in the first place, it won't be long until they aren't in business and then we all get to overpay at local dealers. The vast majority of local dealerships, and I've been to dozens in my area over the past few years, act like they are doing me a favor by even offering to sell me a camper!!! No thanks. I'll take the better customer service AND the better price.