Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
John

Double Blowout

Group,
I know there is a blowout thread... With great information I'm considering..

BUT I feel this is a real problem for everyone who have the stainless steel wheel covers and valve extensions !

I had the same double blowout as " ilmor " but the thread turned to a great repair which I read three days before my blowout
and I think everyone should fix ( actually this is a warranty item as it came from FR wrong ) their unit ASAP

ISSUE:
You don't put valve extensions on the factory rubber valves !
WHAT HAPPENS:
At speed, in my case: 63 mph on interstate 5 just outside of Sacramento I heard the Woosh mentioned in ilmor''s thread then the banging then hissing air...

The centrifugal force of the weight of the valve stem extension pulls out the inner valve completely ( I have mine and can show pictures ) then the weight of RV is on the outside tire, the wheel flexes and the wheel cover comes off pulling the outer valve apart. ( all split second )
I was lucky and the outer tire though going down allowed me a 1/3 of a mile to get to a good spot and AAA RV / motorcycle ins. Got me back on the road in 2.5 hours. I had to pay $ 320 but I'm told this will be reimbursed now that I'm back.

I feel this is a real problem and a dangerous one. We've had two, mine was on a rather bumpy stretch of I 5 but the speed limit is 70 mph !
At that speed it would have be catastrophic.

So Cal Solera
John
btw average 13.4 mpg on the two trips to No Cal. and Wash .
SoCal Solera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:13 AM   #2
Site Team

Maybe you should file a report at the US DOT as this sounds like a chronic
safety issue.
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:24 PM   #3

scared

Now you have me scared. Plan to look at mine when I get home this weekend. I have a 2011. I know it has the mesh line extensions.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:01 AM   #4

This is scary, it begs the question tho, what does your average dually truck have, or semi's have, surely FR only need to duplicate what the industry have to produce something safe. How difficult can that be?

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:08 AM   #5

SoCal, was it also your right rear tires like mine?

Wow, this is interesting to see and it appears to confirm what I thought happened w/ mine. I had no actual evidence as all of my parts apparently flew off into the woods, except that my inner wheel stem was gone.

What I question is that centrifugal force would cause the stem to pull out. The force would not be in the direction that would pull on the stem, rather, it would be towards the outside running surface of the tire.

I'm wondering if the stems themselves could be defective. There was a recall on Sprinter valve stems at one time, although an earlier model and not on the 3500 model.

Help! Valve Stem Problems?? - Sprinter-Forum

I'm also learning that its possible that the valve stems we have from the factory are rated only for 65 psi?? I have replaced mine w/ combination brass / rubber which are rated at 100 psi. I was also unable to locate a full-metal stem that would fit the Sprinter wheels. Read through this thread...

help!.... 65 psi valve stems? - Sprinter-Forum

After installing my new high pressure stems, I also installed new s/s valve extenders and the TireTraker TPMS sensors. Now I'm second guessing....and this is really annoying since I only have 1 weekend between now and my next trip!!

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:22 AM   #6
John

Ilmor,
It was the right rear and the stem came out completely first ( woosh ) then bang bang as the
Extension for the outside tire tried to hold on then hissing as the extension finally sheared in half
and the outside tire began losing air. The repair guy was from a truck repair place and couldn't believe
they put extension tubes on a rubber valve.
You can see the damage at :
http://gallery.me.com/johnlrhodes/100273

John
SoCal Solera
Old 08-15-2011, 04:51 AM   #7

Thanks SoCal. Just a note about the rubber valves, its not uncommon that extension tubes be installed with them. Metal stems are "recommended", but I've had extension tubes on rubber valves for years and I suspect many others have as well.

In addition to changing out to high-pressures stems, another thing I've done now is wire-tie my extension tubes so that there's no chance they'll move around and cause extra stress on the stems. You can also see my new TireTraker sensors in these photos.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:29 PM   #8

Hello People coping with the "Double Blowout" problem:

I just had the same problem two days ago (18 Aug 2011) with my 2010 Solera (a 2008 Dodge Sprinter). I was driving down some busy highway in Northern VA (Rt 1) and "bam!" out goes the hubcap and a bunch of hissing sounds ensued. But I was able to pull over on side of highway within a few meters. Both right rear tires deflated. It was sort of "scarey" what with all the traffic. But eventually (2-3 hours) the "tire guy", responding to my call came and put a temp. fix on my situation by re-inflating the two tires, after putting two new stems in them (the extended stems having been pulled out of the tires when the hubcap went out -- the hubcap looks just like the image in the below thread)

But that was just a "temporary" fix. Now i have to figure out how to make a permanent fix. My thinking is I just need a new hubcap with those extension things. Called local Dodge dealer and was told that the problem was not "theirs" to fix, rather for me to call some local RV dealer that might fix it, i.e. get a new hubcap with those extension things. Have yet to get to an RV dealer, what with it being weekend and all. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

We really like the Solera, but from reading the below string of postings i tend to agree with KyDan: i.e. maybe this is some sort of chronic problem, a safety issue that we should notify NHTSA (DOT) about (just how one does that, i have no idea).

All the best to you "Double Blowout" people. Regards -- j.c.
joeconn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:38 PM   #9
John

SOLERA OWNERS,
Forest River IS aware of the issue, and are discussing it as we type. I get the feeling they are taking it seriously... If I find out anything I'll post ASAP.
My Solera is in for warranty repair of the running lights ( fixed btw thanks Mc Mahon RV ) and I pick it up Monday. Which is good as I'm leaving Tuesday for a 2 week 4 state trip through Nevada to Idaho then Oregon and back doing " Starparties " with amateur astronomers in ID & OR...

John
SoCal Solera
Old 08-20-2011, 04:41 PM   #10

The Dodge dealer was correct; this is a Forest River or RV dealer issue.

My solution is described above.

You van do either that or have your RV dealer do the repairs for you.

I'm actually on a new trip as I write this, having done the repairs. So far so good...

Old 08-20-2011, 04:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Solera
SOLERA OWNERS,
Forest River IS aware of the issue, and are discussing it as we type. I get the feeling they are taking it seriously... If I find out anything I'll post ASAP.
My Solera is in for warranty repair of the running lights ( fixed btw thanks Mc Mahon RV ) and I pick it up Monday. Which is good as I'm leaving Tuesday for a 2 week 4 state trip through Nevada to Idaho then Oregon and back doing " Starparties " with amateur astronomers in ID & OR...

John
SoCal Solera
I'm glad to hear this! Maybe they'll come up with a solution and reimburse me for my costs!

Old 08-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #12

Please keep us posted. I have a 2011, but I bought it at a dealer used. so what ever the fix is. I guess I'll have to pay for it.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:51 PM   #13
2018 FR3 30DS

Dbl blowouts

Strange that it's the right rear (is this not correct?)
Yesterday I was checking the tire pressure and noticed that the nuts that hold the extender to the hub cap bracket were loose. Is it possible that the nuts came off the extender threads and then they just flew out taking the valve stems, etc with them? This would not be possible if the caps on the end of the valve stem were still screwed on. Makes me wonder. Your thoughts please.
2011 Solera
Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:57 AM   #14

It is possible that this could lead to the problem. I've been checking these also. In fact, after this trip I'm going to remove / re-install using loctite.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:23 PM   #15

One thing I did notice. The hub cap on the right side is much easier to pull off.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:50 AM   #16

Just wanted to let everyone know that we have survived our latest trip w/out incident!

When I have more time I'll post some info about the Tire Traker systems performance.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:01 PM   #17

Update on Blow-out Posting with a couple questions

Hello “Double Blowout” Monitors:

I’m the guy that wrote the message (above or below in this “thread” – I don’t know how this stuff works) regarding my 18 Aug Solera double blowout). The purpose of this message is just to update you all on “where I stand now” regarding the issue and maybe ask some questions.

After the 18 Aug incident, I called Dodge dealer who said “not my problem” take to RV dealer (Ilmor was correct on that). Took to RV dealer (a rather large place in this area, Safford RV, which services Forest River products) and was told “no can do” take it to a tire repair place. Then had to wait til “The Great Hurricane” passed thru this area and could clean-up all the debris from fallen tree limbs in my yard. Be that as it may, today I went to one of the largest and most reputable tire places in the DC area (Albans) and, armed with the info you all gave me, told them I needed all the stems on all the tires replaced with high pressure stems. Which they did -- and which removes the major concern I had, i.e. an inherent safety problem in the Solera engineering by Forest River. But they had, and knew of no place to get, extensions for the new stems (the old extension stems were not compatible to the new tire stems, they said) & told me to address that matter with my RV dealer or manufacturer. (You can see where this is going -- it’s some sort of crazed loop).

So my situation today is: I’ve got new high-pressure stems in all tires but no rear hubcaps mounted (the right rear one having been destroyed in the blowout and the left rear one is unmounted to give me some access to the new stems). And without extension stems it is highly difficult, if not impossible, for me to check the pressures or put air into the inside rear tires.

So, if you have the time and would be kind enough to answer, a few questions:

For Ilmor: How did you solve, or where did you get, extension stems after installing the new high pressure stems? (Also, I intend to get that monitoring system you have.
But I need to solve the extension stem problem first – I think.)

For SoCal Solera: Upon what information did you base your posting to this forum stating “Forest River IS aware of the issue, …..” I ask because last week I called Forest River twice (someone named Mike Jankowski, whose name I got from the dealership that we bought our Solera from) to try to ascertain just what advice FR might have in this matter. Naturally, I had to leave voice message: which I did, but nobody at FR has yet to have the common courtesy to call me back.

Last remarks on this far-too-long posting. You contributors to this forum have been Highly Helpful to me. And I thank you all very much. Best regards, j.c.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:30 AM   #18

j.c., I see your post here; I'll get back to you on this...

Old 08-31-2011, 11:47 AM   #19
Commercial Member

You are on the right path, Mike Jankowski is the correct contact. The metal braided valve extensions were given to us by the supplier (not sure who) for that particular setup. I know we use another extension called "Air Flexx" on our Ford product. I helped bring that supplier (Air -Flexx) on board based on experience with a rental account. Too many of their braided valves leaked when they became loose. With the Air-Flexx extension, it is lightweight, rigid, does not need to be secured to the rim and does not pressurize. You can cut the extension in half and it will not let air out of the tire. I cannot confirm that we have switched to that on the Solera, but I know their benefits and it seems a likely replacement.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:51 AM   #20

Hello, again, “Double Blowout” Monitors:

Just a quick note to let you know: Yesterday I again called Mike Jankowski of Forest River. Got his voice mail. Left another message. But this time he DID call me back. Results of tel. con.: He was aware of the problem, but has not read the postings on this forum. He referred me to Mike Burns (who is the warranty guy at FR) for reimbursement of expenses. Told him that that was not why I was calling and that this is not a warranty matter but rather a safety problem. And, in my opinion, it is a significant safety problem. Told him that what I was seeking was some technical guidance, in WRITING, from FR on how BEST to fix the problem. He told me he would bring up the matter at a “staff meeting” next Tuesday.

Well, that’s all “fine & dandy.” We’ll see what, if anything, ensues from FR. But I’m not holding my breath for a definitive, written, response. By the way, should anyone want to contact Mike Jankowski his tel. nr. is 574 206-7625. If, which you will, get his voice mail it asks you to leave a message that includes the last seven digits of your VIN (so you should have that data handy).

What worries me is: The Solera owners who are privy to this forum are at least witting of the problem. But what about all the other Solera owners who are unwitting? They are out there driving around without the foggiest notion that they might, I repeat “might,” be in some danger.

I went to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, (NHTSA) web site to see if there was some form, or whatever, to report such matters. Didn’t immediately find such a form. But I didn’t really study the site – not yet. If you google “NHTSA” you’ll find it, if you wish. NHTSA is part of the DOT and I, in a former life, worked with them on occasion.

For bclemens: Thank you for your recent posting. It prompted me to try to contact Jankowski again. Also the info re “Air-Flexx” is interesting (I went to their web site) and may be included in a “solution” to this problem – if one is forthcoming from FR. But before I act on that, I’m hoping FR will come out with something on “just what to do.”

Best regards, j.c.