Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2013, 12:10 AM   #1
2012 Solera

Engine symbol light is on!

My coach battery was drained down completely by a garmin unit that I left on by mistake. Had shore power plugged in but turned off the DC switch in the stairwell. Any way, Charged it back up when I switched it on. Problem is, when I start the engine, the "engine symbol indicator" light now stays on? Manual says exhaust treatment is malfunctioning. Thought it had more to do with the battery going dead because it hasn't been driven for a couple months. Anyone had this issue?
JamesR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:19 AM   #2

Try disconnecting your negative battery cable for a couple of minutes. Considering your battery went dead and after recharging it could have thrown a false code. If you put the cable back on and try to start it and the check engine light is gone then your good if it comes back then something is wrong.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
My coach battery was drained down completely by a garmin unit that I left on by mistake. Had shore power plugged in but turned off the DC switch in the stairwell. Any way, Charged it back up when I switched it on. Problem is, when I start the engine, the "engine symbol indicator" light now stays on? Manual says exhaust treatment is malfunctioning. Thought it had more to do with the battery going dead because it hasn't been driven for a couple months. Anyone had this issue?
My Solera is on the 2012 MB Chassis. On recent trip we had the DEF indicator light come on - and the problem was NOT with DEF. Took it into a MB dealer while on our trip. At first they stated would probably have to replace the DEF tank, but turned out there was a glitch in the engine computer software. They upgraded the software to a later version, and we went on our merry way. 5000 miles later, it's still not come back on.

So, if your light is the DEF indicator, that may be the problem. Might want to call your MB dealer with your chassis VIN# and see if there's a software upgrade for yours.

Ed
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:36 PM   #4
2012 Solera

Thanks for responding! I've tried a road test but the CEL (Check Engine
Light) is still on steady with no other messages....
Looked on the Sprinter-Forum web site and found some info. Seems that this is likely an emissions problem but would require a plug-in diagnostic check to get the proper error code.
I did have a oil over-fill light on my oil change that was corrected a couple thousand miles ago. Could be the emission sensors got clogged up, but without the code I can't tell?
Will try to reset by disconnecting the battery; otherwise, I,m at the mercy of the Mercedes dealer for a diagnostic charge$.
I guess the generic code readers just don't cut it for the Sprinter van.
Will advise later.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #5

Just a thought on your CEL. Try researching drive cycle requirements for that sprinter chassis. Some manufacturers require various drive cycle steps, to reset the main computer after a long period of power interuption to it. You might be covered under the 3yr 36K overall vehicle warranty. Just take it in and let them do the talking. Too much said usually is never a good thing. Ask them to update your software like Taylor suggested, that way they can properly charge MB corporate for their "time", killing two birds with one dealer trip. IMO
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:41 AM   #6
2012 Solera

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
Resolution: After about 8 starts the light went off! Cancelled my service appointment for now. Will wait and see. Thanks for all the input...
Old 12-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #7

Just maybe the main computer reset. Keep us in the loop if you get that dreaded CEL back.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
Dynamax Isata 5 FW

Sprinters have a 5 year 100,000 mile vehicle warranty. A dealer should not be charging you for diagnostic charges under warranty. If you get any warning lights have the dealer check it out. Just disconnecting the battery will not clear any fault codes.
BTW
If you do not clear the oil change code after changing oil. You will go into limp home mode after a few hundred miles,
Old 12-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #9

Not sure on the few hundred miles statement. Until I sucessfully found and posted here, the reset steps, I was up to 2200 over the 10K trigger point. As for the dealer and the CEL code, I'm guessing that if you tell them that you drained the battery caused the CEL, most likely you will be charged to have it reset. It's more of a courtesy from them to you, not to ding your walet, to push the reset button, assuming thats what triggered it in the first place. IMO

Tags
light