Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2021, 11:00 PM   #1

Front (cab) Speakers not working

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and how i might get to fixing it.

We are the 3rd owner of a 2014 Solera 24R. The a/b/both speaker toggle switch has never worked for us. However, we left it on "both" and always had sound in cab speakers and also in the kitchen area. The other day, everything was fine until it wasn't and just stopped suddenly playing out the cab speakers.

Any ideas?

Thoughts on what to start taking apart?

Thanks,
pgreensoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 08:31 AM   #2

welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. I think I would replace or clean or check the wiring to the switch and see if that corrects the problem.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 04:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreensoup View Post
Wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and how i might get to fixing it.

We are the 3rd owner of a 2014 Solera 24R. The a/b/both speaker toggle switch has never worked for us. However, we left it on "both" and always had sound in cab speakers and also in the kitchen area. The other day, everything was fine until it wasn't and just stopped suddenly playing out the cab speakers.

Any ideas?

Thoughts on what to start taking apart?

Thanks,
Do you have the Magnadyne radio? Take a look at the equalizer settings. Don't know why they might have changed, but it's a thought.
Old 09-23-2021, 12:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
Do you have the Magnadyne radio? Take a look at the equalizer settings. Don't know why they might have changed, but it's a thought.
Yes. I have the Magnadyne. Equalizer settings check out. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreensoup View Post
Yes. I have the Magnadyne. Equalizer settings check out. Thanks for the suggestion.
If I am understanding you correctly, none of the speakers are working? Are some working? It might be the connection on the back of the radio. It is fairly easy to access the rear of the radio and check connections. FR used plastic ties to secure the radio at the rear. This prevents you from pulling the radio out the front with the two "U" tools. To get to the back you must pull front, side, and top trim. Not difficult at all. When the front trim is removed, you then have access to the AC side trim. When the side trim is removed you will have access to the top tray. This video gives front trim /bezel removal instructions. Torx 20 driver will work for all fasteners.
Old 04-26-2022, 06:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
If I am understanding you correctly, none of the speakers are working? Are some working? It might be the connection on the back of the radio. It is fairly easy to access the rear of the radio and check connections. FR used plastic ties to secure the radio at the rear. This prevents you from pulling the radio out the front with the two "U" tools. To get to the back you must pull front, side, and top trim. Not difficult at all. When the front trim is removed, you then have access to the AC side trim. When the side trim is removed you will have access to the top tray. This video gives front trim /bezel removal instructions. Torx 20 driver will work for all fasteners.
I'm finally getting back to this. THANKYOU for getting me going in the right direction. Yes. Some speakers work. The rear/galley speakers and the "center" speakers that are located above the cab (but you have to turn those on from the EQ settings I learned - for some reason they have an on/off toggle within the digital system) But, the cab speakers, both left and right (I assume there are only two) do NOT work. I will do as Mikegjax suggests, and check the connections at the back of the radio.

Can anyone tell me what the a/b/both toggle does that is located above the sink?
Old 04-27-2022, 08:55 PM   #7

That switch near the sink controls the speakers in the upper bunk area if memory serves. I have mine on "A". Did that during early ownership. Just did a check and with the switch in "B" the front speakers are off and the upper bunk area speaker is on. In both, the upper bunk area and lower driving area are on.

That may be your problem.
Old 04-27-2022, 08:57 PM   #8

When I say front speakers I mean CAB.
Old 04-27-2022, 10:31 PM   #9

Yep. That WAS my problem. Solved now. Mostly.

So I took the dash trim apart, which was good learning for me, using my new trim tools that I got at Harbor Freight. Spent a couple hours examining the birdsnest of wires in there. Disconnected, then reconnected a few things, pulled a fuse(yep, there is one back there in the mess of wires) and replaced it, but ultimately nothing. Then decided to have a look at that switch above the sink. Seemed odd to me that a switch way back there would have control over the cab speakers, but still figured I should have a look. I pulled it apart, and left the wires hanging while I went back up front to mess with the stereo. My mom (its actually her and dad's RV) came to check on my progress, and hung out in the galley for a bit. When she decided my progress was too slow to keep her interested, she exited...AND BRUSHED AGAINST THE HANGING WIRES as she left. I SWEAR I heard the front speakers work for the slightest moment...and I knew that the problem was back in that switch. Thanks, mom.

So, I removed a couple crimps, the black one and the yellow one, and redid them with wire nuts. and now the cab speakers work. Still not sure the switch works correctly, and actually might be faulty, as now all my speakers are working whether I'm on A, B, or Both. But I'm fine with that - because you can control all of that with the digital controls in the equalizer settings.

So solved. Mostly. And thanks Mikegjax for being so helpful and responsive in this forum.