Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2012, 11:11 PM   #1

General Solera Questions

I've got 2 short trips under my belt (cumulative 300 miles), and i must say i am very pleased with the Solera so far. This is my first RV so i'm learning about the Solera, as well as owning an RV all in one shot. I have a few general questions that i'd really appreciate some recommendations on.

1-What is max recommended cruising speed on flats? It seemed to run beautiful at 65 but i was worried about going much faster.

2-Had some problems with sewer hoses (i bought 2 different kinds). One the fitting was too long that attached to the connection in rv which made it impossible to 90 bend out through opening. The other hose I purchased wouldn't fit through the opening without cutting some of the hose ends off. Has anyone tried modifying the opening through bottom of rv to make it less awkward?

3-What in the heck is that little bracket that opens up next to rear large storage opening on passenger side? if you are facing storage door it is just below the door on right side.

4-I was told i would have to add engine oil every few thousand miles in between oil changes. Is this true? I only thought you had to do this to old worn our engines, not new ones.

5-How accurate are sensors on black and grey water tanks? I have dumped both but they show as 1/3 and 2/3 full. Is it common to get an incorrect reading?

Thanks to all of your help.
sradaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:07 AM   #2

little bracket is to hold the generator door up.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:51 AM   #3
2018 FR3 30DS

About sewer hoses: my 2011 Solera...I couldn't get the big headed sewer hoses thru the hole so I removed the floor plate and there is a large hole there that most any hose will go through. I just move the floor plate aside when putting the hose thru the hole and slide it back in place when done. It doesn't slide around or anything and still serves the purpose of keeping the hole covered when not being used.
I would think that the max speed is whatever you are comfortable with so long as you don't (and it may not let you) overrev the diesel engine.

Check your engine oil periodically and see if you need to add. I don't remember anyone on this forum conversing about their engine using too much oil.
Tank sensors are an ongoing issue on these forums. Some put ice in their tanks and drive around to loosen sludge; some replace the sensors; some use the devices that hook to your water hose; and my Solera has a hookup on the black tank for a hose to spray inside the tank..
Hope this helps a little...
Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:43 AM   #4

Regarding sewer hose opening, there is a thread under the Sunseeker forum with lots of discussion and solutions.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #5
Commercial Member

tank sensors, are an ongoing problem. Google search "Horst Miracle Probes". There is a great little video on why the sensors read poorly at times. We are currently in a "Proto-type" testing mode on these sensors. We have installed them on about 120 rental units. They have to be oriented a certain way (finicky installation concerns me) but I will be getting results of the season long testing later this fall. If they work well we will look at using them on all our units. However, they are available for retail purchase NOW.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote