Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2020, 02:31 PM   #1

Getting on the Roof of a Forest River Solera Class C

Hi:

I have a 25 foot class C 2014 Forest River solera which I am managing by myself. My question is does anyone have recommendations for what type of ladder to buy to get on the roof safely? I would love to have a ladder installed on the back, but from my reading, it sounds like I cannot to do that! Thank you in advance.
Nancy
nkarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 04:51 PM   #2

I've used something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Luisladders-A...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
It's a little heavy, but it fits easily in a storage compartment so you can take it on the road. Comes in varying lengths - I think I've used the 12.5 ft version.

Dave
Old 10-31-2020, 09:08 PM   #3

I have one mounted to the top of our larger compartment in case I need to get up on the roof while on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8F962D8C-38EC-46D9-B850-5581CB943894.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	242302  
Old 10-31-2020, 10:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkarnes View Post
Hi:

I have a 25 foot class C 2014 Forest River solera which I am managing by myself. My question is does anyone have recommendations for what type of ladder to buy to get on the roof safely? I would love to have a ladder installed on the back, but from my reading, it sounds like I cannot to do that! Thank you in advance.
Nancy
I don't carry a ladder while on the road, but I have a 12 ft. Fiberglass step ladder for home use. It's a bit heavy, but rollers can be added. I do all my roof work and inspections before I leave home. I also don't want to lean something on the RV if I can help.
Old 10-31-2020, 11:07 PM   #5

Thank you for all your suggestions.
Old 11-01-2020, 11:45 AM   #6

Here are some pictures of how my ladder is mounted as requested by private message. 2 eyelets in the cross-brace, feet in the compartment angle with adhesive friction pads. Working great for 10000 miles
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FB5C1296-BBEE-4D44-9C67-88B087F637ED.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	242320   Click image for larger version

Name:	B0E09804-C03E-4D78-83F0-04CAFB8AA678.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	373.4 KB
ID:	242321  
Old 11-01-2020, 11:51 AM   #7

Thanks Rich.

JC

2016 Solera 24R
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 01:13 PM   #8

I bought this one at Lowe's to carry in my pick-up when towing our TT. I considered a telescoping ladder, but chose this because of broader application. It will enable me to get on the roof and also to see the top of the slide after blowing off debris, but set up in a different position. It's not very heavy and not overly expensive.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Little-Gian...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
4ester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 02:09 PM   #9

Ladder for 24R Solera

Actually you can put a ladder on the back of a 24R and I've done it on mine. You just have to make a jog on the left side of the ladder where the slideout awning mechanism is in the way (at the top). I will post a photo of it later but need to go to where it's stored to take the photo. It's not real difficult but does involve a few cuts in the aluminum tubing and fabrication of alternate support. I've tested it many times but am not very heavy so have no opinion on maximum weight it could handle.

I've found it incredibly useful to have, so in my mind, well worth the money and effort.
jmaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkarnes View Post
Hi:

Nancy
I built a plywood platform for the back of my 2014 Toyota Tacoma short bed with dividers to stow my fly rods and a telescoping 12.5 ft. ladder as well as "cut-outs" at the tailgate end for our Honda 3000ei generator and two 2-gal. gas cans for our extended trip to Alaska which was aborted due to Covid-19. However we've traveled over 14K miles from CT to the Canadian Maritimes and also to New Mexico and Utah towing a 16' Rockwood A-Frame and have moved up to a 19' GulfStream Vista Cruiser...we'll see how that works out next year, hence the 12.5' folding ladder. (LOL)
DACRAC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 09:22 PM   #11

Ladder for 24R Solera

Here are the photos of the ladder mounted on the back of my 24R Solera. It should work on any of the Class C motorhomes with the rear slideout. It took a bit of modification to work around the mechanism for the slideout awning but seems sturdy and has proven to be very useful.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ladder full.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	314.0 KB
ID:	242362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ladder detail.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	242363  
Old 11-03-2020, 07:45 PM   #12

WoW this is so cool! thank you for the pictures. Do you know if the Forest River) manufacture had installed whatever it is called (blocks) to make it possible to install this? I am curious, who installed this for you and where did you purchase it? Also, how much did it all cost? I called and asked an RV place where I take it for RV repairs and they said no to installing a ladder. However, in my learning curve, I sure am reading a lot of different opinions. I am also light weight so weight is not an issue . Thank you Nancy
Old 11-03-2020, 09:13 PM   #13

Rear slideout ladder adaptation

Hi, Thanks for the nice comments. I did it myself and took a fair amount of time figuring it out. Somebody copying mine should be able to do it in much less time. I started with the Stromberg Carlson Products, Inc. LA-401/LA-401BA Universal Exterior RV Ladder. It was a little over $100 I think. The rest of the material (minimal) came from my junk bin.
Most regular RV dealers won't do anything unusual for liability reasons. If you can't do it yourself, a small shop that does metal fabrication or RV alterations would be more likely to do it. Much of the weight is carried by where the top mounts are - I used a good solid base to attach the ladder there and also to a solid metal bar that goes across the back, just below the slide-out - easy to locate because you can look in the storage bin and see it. If you want more detailed photos to assist in doing it, let me know.

Tags
class c, forest river, roo, roof, solera