Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2015, 04:54 PM   #21

I interpret the legal writing of the highway traffic act as, if your TV is licensed commercially and you are hauling commercially you need to cross the weigh scale, otherwise stay out of it when they are open for business. Thats my thinking and I have never had a problem in nine years of Rving.
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:24 PM   #22

Gotcha. Here is my understanding on the weigh stations, albeit a commecial driver might chime in with more info. Commercial plates on a TV doesn't mean commercial for compensation. When you cross over that boundy in general law, you now become required to test, have physicals every two years and all that. The government now has "more jurisdiction" over how you operate on the roads. But, if it is your personal vehicle with commercial plates, where you do not haul for hire, you remain a private individual and as such, not become subject to the higher enforcement level. Of course you always need to obey authority when directed accordingly , but as the other posters in this thread stated, they have never stopped unless they wanted to see their weight through the window as a matter of own curiosity.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:40 PM   #23

In Canada. Dot can pull you over and send you to the scale. Anyone. Commercial or other.

2015 RAM 3500 CCSB CUMMINS
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Old 11-13-2015, 06:49 PM   #24
jkoenig24

After 30+ years as a Law Enforcement Officer and 6+ years as an RVer, I can attest to the fact that RVs get VERY little attention from LEOs unless you're doing something to stand out. Being involved in an accident would be one way to catch a LEOs attention. Poor driving would be another. Do NOT pull into a Weigh Station unless you're directed to do so by a LEO. Should you drive into an open & operating Weigh Station, they're going to do their job and weigh you. If you're found to be overweight in ANY parameter, you can expect to receive a ticket and, might NOT be allowed to leave until the problem is corrected. I understand some jurisdictions leave their Weigh Stations open during non-business hours. I've known RVers who avail themselves of the opportunity to get an accurate weighing for free. For myself, I have used the professionals (members of the Escapees RV Club and the RVSEF) who, for a modest fee, will PROPERLY weigh your rig at any of the many RV rallies they attend.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:56 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzymovin View Post
So you just pull into the 'Closed' weigh station and weigh? The scale stays on?
That has been my experience.

I am under the impression that a POE is never really closed, more like partly automated.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:01 PM   #26

I've seen a few here in California at portable scales spot inspections. I don't know if they were overweight but they were on the scales.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:08 PM   #27

upstate nyer- I am a part time rv transporter- I pull into weigh stations- always- My understanding of the law is I am commerical because I am for hire.I have signs on my 3500 gmc-I carry A 150 air mile exemption for log purpose - log when over 150 miles dot physical etc. off season I tow for local body shop (their truck ford 5500)100 mile max.(air mile exemption)I always pull into weigh station- either case never been stopped- always waved thru- most looking for air brakes and semis.
as a rver never pull into weigh stations. btw up here weigh stations every ten exits I87&I90
riverrat958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:44 PM   #28
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
How did you get signaled in?
Any dot scale I've seen you have to physically pull off onto the on ramp to the scale to get signaled to pass through or pull over scale.

There is nothing on the physical hiway to tell you to come in.

Besides that you state it was dark?
I've seen lots of highways with overhead signs and individual indicators per truck if you should pull in or not. Something about "Pre-pass" systems.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:55 PM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Pre pass is only for trucks with the proper electrical equipment in the trucks.
It's kind of like a toll way beacon.

If you don't have that you have to physically pull onto the ramp and then they decide whether to run you across the scale or not.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:31 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I've seen lots of highways with overhead signs and individual indicators per truck if you should pull in or not. Something about "Pre-pass" systems.
RVers don't have to go into scale houses
Dick,
dicky1243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:37 PM   #31
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Pre pass is only for trucks with the proper electrical equipment in the trucks.
It's kind of like a toll way beacon.

If you don't have that you have to physically pull onto the ramp and then they decide whether to run you across the scale or not.
Understood, but you were asking Ciaran how they knew that they were supposed to go into the scale- especially if it was dark. I am guessing it was this kind of indication. I could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicky1243 View Post
RVers don't have to go into scale houses
Technically, that is NOT correct for the state of the Maryland (my home state). This is where you get into the letter of the law vs. the intent of the law. The letter of the law says that you follow the signage - which is often that any truck over 5T GVWR must pull in; however, the spirit of the law is that it's only for commercial vehicles. I swapped emails with a supervisor at the State Highway Administration and he indicated with a wink and a smile that I'm supposed to pull in if the sign so indicates with no regard to commercial vs. non-commercial. The crazy part is my truck alone qualifies for needing to pull in (without towing).

I've never stopped and won't stop. BUT- it means that I'm technically in the wrong.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:38 PM   #32
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Might have been on 95 in Georgia.. On our way home from FL there was a sign and a laser eye that activated a sign telling us to pass the weight station.. Never saw anything like that before. Guess it scanned the size or length? Very interesting though..

Oh, and I would not volunteer yourself for a weight.. As a LEO as well not interested in the RV or many things I see on the road.. Looking for other stuff, but if you find me and there is a problem found.. Well now you have a problem..

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:39 PM   #33

Has anyone been stopped and weighed

Here is more information on my stop from a previous entry. I was travelling south on I35, travelling in the curb lane, when I passed under the sensors and a text message illuminated displaying the message to pull in. I thought that maybe the height of my 5th wheel initiated the system and I was the only large vehicle on the highway apart from some cars. My initial thought was a truck had triggered the signal but I quickly figured out that I was the only one on that immediate stretch of road. Yes it appeared that it was a "pre pass" type of system, which I have seen on I5 many times signaling to a trucker. I would have probably ignored it and taken my chances but I was trying to get to my destination in time for a very early morning meeting so "discretion being the better part of valor" I choose to comply. I wanted to check with the Kansas authorities if I did have an obligation yo comply and would be grateful if someone on here has a line of communication to the authorities there.
Ciaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:40 PM   #34
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Might have been on 95 in Georgia.. On our way home from FL there was a sign and a laser eye that activated a sign telling us to pass the weight station.. Never saw anything like that before. Guess it scanned the size or length? Very interesting though..

Oh, and I would not volunteer yourself for a weight.. As a LEO as well not interested in the RV or many things I see on the road.. Looking for other stuff, but if you find me and there is a problem found.. Well now you have a problem..
Possibly. We've been up and down that stretch quite a few times. As I said- I have never pulled in nor do I ever plan on it.

(I lie- I pulled into one in VA, but only because I wanted the rest area behind it. And in that case, the light up sign told me to bypass the scale and head straight for the rest area.)
Old 11-13-2015, 08:42 PM   #35
Who Dares, Wins

The sign told us to pass...

We did the same thing at a VA weight station. We bypassed the station, turned the corner and they had three troopers in a pit area under trucks.. I do not think they even noticed us sneaking by the law... LOL

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:01 PM   #36

I have had several weigh stations signal me in via the electric signs on the interstate. Before I got to the next electric sign I was signaled to Pass. All the times have been at dusk with the sun behind me. Never had to pull in.
drc343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:36 PM   #37

There is a pre pass type weigh station heading into Spokane Valley, WA westbound on the I-90 interstate. It always flashes that I need to pull in but I never do and the highway patrol always watches me go by. I am pretty sure it must be triggered by height or something.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:12 PM   #38

As a CDL OTR driver I can pretty much assure you that the DOT scales are for "Commercial" traffic. Not recreational, unless you are obviously a danger to other motorists.
2020 Indian Roadmaster
Toothpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:20 PM   #39
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mele View Post
As a CDL OTR driver I can pretty much assure you that the DOT scales are for "Commercial" traffic. Not recreational, unless you are obviously a danger to other motorists.
Definitely not a CDL OTR driver, but I agree with you 100%. Much ado about nothing.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 01:43 AM   #40

Thanks to everyone who replied
Phinias is offline   Reply With Quote