Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2014, 05:55 AM   #201

Have you figured out what the popping noise is? I've purchased Hellwig sway bar, its in the garage. But I thought I'd wait to find out what popping is. thanks
billwill67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:53 AM   #202

I haven't installed mine yet! UPS says it'll arrive today. I'm going to review all the "popping noise" posts before I do the install later this week.
eyedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:36 PM   #203

Mine are scheduled to be put on 7/2.Talked to the guy who is going to put them on, about popping. This person owns his own Rv repair business, has worked on many different motorhomes for 30 + years. He said he can't see where sway bar could be cause of noise. He said he would put it on. If it pop, squeaks, rocks, rolls or any thing else he'll put the old bar back on at no cost. His charge $75.00. Not worth it to me to lay under a camper for $75.00. The only thing I can see different is bar is larger. Yet every thing bolts back to same holes. Got me. As a retired lineman I love to figure things out. But this one I'm going to have to try.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:41 PM   #204
Needs Help

I put mine on last week. Today was my first drive. Gusty 30+ mph wind broadside and much better roll control. Still have to fight the wind, but the side to side sway is minimal. Handles better in turns and basically anything you do on level road.

As for the popping, I don't think this happens to very many. I agree there is no way the sway bar could be responsible unless the bushings were falling apart. I put a couple of washers on each side of my arms so I could clamp them tight. Not a peep from it today. I'll get more driving in over the next few weeks and report back if I do hear noises. I just don't expect to.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:29 AM   #205

Yes I agree there seems to be a lot more people not having popping than people that are. But its is still puzzling if campers where fine before sway bar was on. I did bring up the discussion with the repair guy about spider cracks in shower. He fells as I do that the shower flour does have material in to give, when standing in it. Even if frame is stressing the shower should enough give to protect it. I am only guessing, I don't know. As for the washer that was interesting cause it seems only a few used them.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:41 AM   #206
Needs Help

The bushings in the arms are not as wide as the originals. I'm sure some crank the bolt to bend the bracket, I just chose to put some washers in to keep everything straight.

Heading out on another trip tomorrow. Looking forward to it. Heading toward hilly winding roads. Fun stuff.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:42 AM   #207

Good idea to use washers. I'll be heading out to Delaware sea shore on the 10Th. That will be my first trip on new sway bar. The Rv guy also highly recommended the shocks other are using, not for sway but rear ride or air bags.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:10 PM   #208
Needs Help

Took a 200+ trip in hilly winding roads. Aside for one stretch of concrete road with noticeable expansion joints, I don't see a reason to change shocks. Still a big thumbs up for the sway bar.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:10 AM   #209

My Solera is still popping occasionally. I checked the bolts on the arms yesterday and found them to have loosened slightly (3,000 miles or so) so I re-torqued to spec. When I did that I noticed that the bracket is pinched in as one poster noted above. I wonder if perhaps that strain is contributing to the popping. As I drove over the first driveway type incline it popped loudly. I might put some washers in mine to try that, or could bushings of some description be better? Any ideas from you guys?

It would be nice to have anyone who is experiencing the popping to chime in here to give us an idea of who is having it versus those who put in the washers. That might tell us a lot about the source of the problem.

I have no washers and the bar is popping.

By the way, plenty of lubricant on the clamps over the center of the bar that are held on by the allan bolts.

Solera 24R - 2014
Life is Good - All is Well
richhop25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:18 PM   #210

I am also experiencing a popping noise after 3k miles on the new bar. It started out as a squeaking coming from the knuckle with the red bushing. I identified this by having someone rock the camper with myself under monitoring the suspension. I loosened the bolt slightly until it stopped. This only worked for a short time until it start squeaking again and now is making the loud popping noise that ya'll are describing.

We just completed a 6,600 mile trip and the popping noise got worse and more consistent every day. I love my Solera but I do agree that the box feels way to big for the truck. We will not be going on another trip until I fix the popping problem and add some air bags to stabilize the coach.

Has anyone fixed the popping noise with the use of flat washers?
Old 07-19-2014, 04:33 PM   #211

Popping Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by papap View Post
No popping on mine.
Did you install washers on the end arms of the bar?

Solera 24R - 2014
Old 07-19-2014, 04:34 PM   #212

Popping Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
X2. No popping.
Did you install washers on the end arms?

Solera 24R - 2014
Old 07-19-2014, 04:37 PM   #213

Popping Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintboy View Post
Just installed my Hellwig sway bar today. I like the ride a lot better. I did notice one thing odd though- the end link brackets seemed too big for the bar. The stock bar measured 4 cm wide while the Hellwig bushings measured 3.5cm leaving a gap in the end links.

I ended up using washers on the sides of the bushings to take up the extra space. Has anyone else had this experience? Anything to be concerned about? Should I take the washers out? I noticed a pop when I pulled in the driveway, but everything looked normal when I looked at it.
Trying to sort out this issue of popping noise that some of us are having. You installed washers to fill the gap on the end arms. Have you experienced any popping noises in the suspension?

richhop

Solera 24R - 2014
Old 07-19-2014, 06:47 PM   #214
Needs Help

I put two washers on each end arm. 4000 miles and some rough running on the AlCan and it's quiet.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #215
2012 Solera

As stated earlier in this thread I installed washers to fill the gaps - two on each bracket. No popping in several thousand miles, including across the country.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:49 PM   #216

I'm having no popping or squeaking at all after doing the install just before the trip I'm currently on. I did not add washers as some have mentioned to "fix" the gap problem -- though that seemed like a smarter fix than I elected to fix the gap issue. I did, however, crimp the hanger to minimize the gap as opposed to filling the space with washers.

I did add more lock-tite and lube than was provided by Hellwig based on input from others.

I'm writing this from Yellowstone about 1000 miles from home. We had 40 knot crosswinds across the Mojave Desert. Though we got rocked, it was a FAR better ride than in the same conditions before. I didn't get nearly the "dirty air" rock from trucks I experienced before, either. Cornering has improved significantly

But, thankfully, "no popping or squeaking".

I know this is a stupid question, but has anyone actually asked Hellwig what they attribute the noise to? Well all have pretty much the same vehicle and I'm assuming the actual sway bar and hardware used in installation is pretty much "cookie-cutter". The popping issue seem to stem from how their product is installed. I think Hellwig should/does have the answer to the $175 question! (They just need to put it in the installation instructions!
eyedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:16 PM   #217

Hellwig seems to be the preferred sway bar for the Solera 24R and it is much less expensive than the one Roadmaster makes for the same application. Is there anyone who has installed the Roadmaster model who finds it superior to the Hellwig model? I have another question. Has anyone who installed the Hellwig rear sway bar also have the rear stabilizer jacks? If so, are there any special installation issues because of the jacks?
David100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:31 AM   #218

Had hellwig sway bar installed 7/8 took a 400 mile trip. No washers installed. No popping. I also have rear jacks. Not in the way to install sway bar.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:02 PM   #219

I just installed a hellwig sway bar on my 012 Solera. I put a couple of washers on the ends. It seemed to make a real tight fit with the bracket. It eliminates any play between the bar and the bracket. In a couple of weeks I will be embarking on a coast to coast trip. I will keep a ear out for any popping noises, but I am happy with the install and don't expect any problems.
jcinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:46 PM   #220

I put two washers in at each bracket over 3,000 miles ago and typically travel on beat up roads. I had the popping noise right off the start. I checked the bolts and their torqued to spec. Some times Its so loud that we can feel it through our feet. I just returned from a 2,500 mile trip and I plan on taking the Helwig bar off to check everything out. If I see any wear, I will let everyone know.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
mphair is offline   Reply With Quote