Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #21

Ed

The bar was shipped today, I am wondering about the torque wrench? I have a pneumatic impact wrench and ratchet wrench. The ratchet has 45 ft. lb, torque What torque pressure is needed on this installation?

Henry
Old 06-27-2013, 12:25 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
Ed

The bar was shipped today, I am wondering about the torque wrench? I have a pneumatic impact wrench and ratchet wrench. The ratchet has 45 ft. lb, torque What torque pressure is needed on this installation?

Henry
Henry
Brackets are 40psi, and swing arms are 30psi. That'll be in the instructions. Don't forget to apply locktite to threads. They supply a tiny tube of Locktite Red, but it didn't seem to be enough, so you may want to buy a tube. I would recommend purchase of an inexpensive torque wrench. It will come in handy for other needs as time goes by. Plus, you'll want to recheck torque from time to time. Pneumatic wrench will make your installation go a lot smoother than mine - is torque adjustable on it? If so, you maybe could skip buying a new torque wrench, although I sometimes question the accuracy of those. Good luck - you'll love the results. Also, you may find it a little tight to get the impact wrench to some of those bolts - particularly on the swing arms.

A suggestion, if I may, if you're doing this by yourself: the bar is heavy and awkward to balance with one hand. To install, I hung one side up loosely - without the plastic piece. That supported one end while I connected the other end with the plastic piece and bracket, but didn't tighten down until I had correctly connected the plastic and bracket on the other end, then went back to the first end and installed the plastic and bracket. I had supported mine on a cinder block and piece of lumber, but it was still awkward until I figured out the above procedure, then it was a snap!

Ed
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #23

Thanks for the advice Ed, I was wondering about the best way to secure it while installing. That sounds like the best way to go about it. I was also wondering about using the pneumatic tools to torque it down, your probably right on the issue of getting a torque wrench.

Henry
Old 06-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #24

Quote:
Thanks for the advice Ed, I was wondering about the best way to secure it while installing. That sounds like the best way to go about it. I was also wondering about using the pneumatic tools to torque it down, your probably right on the issue of getting a torque wrench.

Henry
One other thing, Henry: If you have a good stout pair of unsupported rubber gloves, you might consider using them. The old sway bar is coated with cosmoline - guess to prevent attack from road salt, etc., but you can't keep it off your hands, and then it picks up every bit of dirt and grime you come in contact with. Wish you were close by - used to sell gloves by the millions, and still have bunches of samples laying around.

Otherwise, you'll want to wash your hands every few minutes. Now, that being said, and my having glove samples all over the attic, I didn't wear any because I was too lazy to go upstairs and get them! Wish I had.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #25

Ed

Thanks again for the advise I would never had thought of wearing gloves while doing this.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:22 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by papap View Post
I just installed them this week myself. They are real easy to install. Only problem I had was. I did not have the Allen wrench socket so I had to go ask my brother to use one. Less than an hour to install. He lives about 4 or 5 miles away. So when I was done I drove camper to return tool. Not a very long drive but sure seems to make a difference.
Papa P:
See what you started? I think Hellwig should send you a commission check!
Old 06-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #27

What size is that allen wrench socket?? Need to get one before my bar comes.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:58 PM   #28

Quote:
What size is that allen wrench socket?? Need to get one before my bar comes.
Henry:
It's a 10mm. Not a Socket, but a wrench to insert into a cap screw. You may be able to find a 10mm adapter for a ratchet?? I had to buy a whole darn set of 3mm thru 10mm at O'Reilly. And I'll probably never use any of them again!

You'll also need an 18mm socket for the bolt heads
Old 06-29-2013, 06:19 PM   #29

Thanks Ed
Old 06-30-2013, 10:57 AM   #30

Henry, try your local China feight store. Especially if it's a one type use.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #31

I don't think we have a China freight store in the area. Never heard of them.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #32

Quote:
I don't think we have a China freight store in the area. Never heard of them.
"Harbor Freight" - same thing!
Old 06-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #33

OH! OK Thanks
Old 06-30-2013, 09:17 PM   #34

Yeah, same thing. Just my attempt at a bit of humor.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #35

Humor? Is not Logical. ( Spock from Star Trek) Ok my attempt at humor:-}
Old 07-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #36

Humor

Quote:
Humor? Is not Logical. ( Spock from Star Trek) Ok my attempt at humor:-}
Since my ancient brain functions slowly, and since you've both explained the humor, I get it.

Must admit that at first I wondered if Harbor Freight operated stores under the name of China Freight in some areas!!!

I do appreciate the humor once I get it!
Old 07-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #37

laughter is still the best medicine Ed.:-}
Old 07-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #38

Mines on ... question ... fellow that installed it said that the new bolts are a lot thinner than the factory installed ones - so keep an eye on them. Said the bar itself is a lot "beefier" .. but was surprised that the bolts (he might have said bushings???) were thinner. He showed me them on the factory installed bar - but I'm not sure I'm explaining them correctly. Anyway ... the folks that installed them yourselves ... is that a concern? And ... the instructions said to check the installation after one week and then monthly (yeah right - I don't even know where the blasted thing is under the carriage and if I did - wouldn't know if it was wrong or right!) Guess I'm just getting frustrated that I'm not at all mechanically inclined.
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Mines on ... question ... fellow that installed it said that the new bolts are a lot thinner than the factory installed ones - so keep an eye on them. Said the bar itself is a lot "beefier" .. but was surprised that the bolts (he might have said bushings???) were thinner. He showed me them on the factory installed bar - but I'm not sure I'm explaining them correctly. Anyway ... the folks that installed them yourselves ... is that a concern? And ... the instructions said to check the installation after one week and then monthly (yeah right - I don't even know where the blasted thing is under the carriage and if I did - wouldn't know if it was wrong or right!) Guess I'm just getting frustrated that I'm not at all mechanically inclined.
Thinner bolts? If they fit into the same holes, they are not thinner. The kit comes with four (4) bolts that replace four longer bolts, which are not needed, but the thread is the same so they could not be "thinner." The bushings are a different construction. The original are rubber; the new ones are a stronger polymeric material, and are thinner, but will not be taking the flexing the original may be subjected to because of the beefier construction. Also, he should have re-used two bolts that attached the swing arms. I wouldn't be concerned - Hellwig apparently knows what they are doing. Nevertheless, the directions do instruct that torque should be rechecked from time to time! I think that's more of a disclaimer than anything else (for the lawyers). But if he used the Locktite that came in the kit, that should not be a concern either. If you are concerned, just have someone check the torque when you have it in for tire rotation or other service.

Enjoy without worry - as I intend to do. And when you drive it, you'll love the difference.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #40

I just got mine today and finished installing it about an hour ago. The only thing I wish was that I had it higher off the ground to work under the rig. There was a little more work to it than I expected, but not to bad. I didn't see the bolts being thinner just shorter. Thanks Ed for the tip on the 10 mm alan wrench, I got a hex head socket at Home depot worked like a charm.