Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida/Thailand/Texas
Posts: 238
Hellwig 7254 Rear Sway Bar

Interest in your thoughts if you added the subject to your Solera. Does it really work and is it a noticeable improvement? Thanks.
CaptDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
papap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Southwest Louisiana
Posts: 747
Installed

I just installed them this week myself. They are real easy to install. Only problem I had was. I did not have the Allen wrench socket so I had to go ask my brother to use one. Less than an hour to install. He lives about 4 or 5 miles away. So when I was done I drove camper to return tool. Not a very long drive but sure seems to make a difference.
__________________
2016 Forester 3171DS
Work 28 and 28 around the world.
Camp every chance we get

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 632
I haven't installed mine yet. Probably within the next two weeks.
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Taylorgso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by papap View Post
I just installed them this week myself. They are real easy to install. Only problem I had was. I did not have the Allen wrench socket so I had to go ask my brother to use one. Less than an hour to install. He lives about 4 or 5 miles away. So when I was done I drove camper to return tool. Not a very long drive but sure seems to make a difference.
Papap:
Good info - thanks. I plan on doing my own installation, too. Did everything come complete in the kit? Do I need a jack... if so, how much lift? And anything else I need to know?
__________________
Ed (N4RWU) & Becky Taylor
Mistie (Walks 4-down)
Greensboro, NC
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
papap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Southwest Louisiana
Posts: 747
No jack

I did mine by myself. It would of been easier with and extra set of hands. All you need is torque wrench and metric socks. Oh and a metric Allen wrench sock.
__________________
2016 Forester 3171DS
Work 28 and 28 around the world.
Camp every chance we get

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2
What is the purpose of this Sway Bar

What does it cost?

How much for someone else to install it?

Does every Solera need one?

Thanks
garyinfante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyinfante View Post
What does it cost?

How much for someone else to install it?

Does every Solera need one?

Thanks
I ordered mine and it was about $150, if I remember correctly. Look at a thread about shocks awhile ago. Anyway, from what I understand it will help with the stability of the unit. I haven't got mine on yet, so dont know if it will make a difference or not.
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Taylorgso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyinfante View Post
What does it cost?

How much for someone else to install it?

Does every Solera need one?

Thanks
1. You can find them for around $180-200 with shipping. Do a search on the Hellwig style #.
2. Papa P installed in less than an hour. If you can find a shop in your area who will do it in that time, you can multiply one hour by their shop rate. In our area, shop rate is running around $90/hour
3. That's entirely subjective. If you are comfortable driving the Solera without it, by all means save your money. However, it will give a much more stable feeling when going around curves, etc., and particularly in windy conditions and slipstream from passing trucks, which tend to want to push the rear end of the MH to the side as they pass. I installed heavy duty sway bar on my SUV and it made a tremendous difference, and I anticipate the same improvement with the Solera. I'll be ordering mine as soon as my next welfare check comes.

Here's a link to what looks to be a pretty good price:
http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/hellwi...otorhome-08-12
__________________
Ed (N4RWU) & Becky Taylor
Mistie (Walks 4-down)
Greensboro, NC
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
papap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Southwest Louisiana
Posts: 747
Easy

This thing is really easy to install. It's only 6 bolts. No way I would pay someone to install this. Even if you have to go buy the tools it is still cheaper to do yourself.
__________________
2016 Forester 3171DS
Work 28 and 28 around the world.
Camp every chance we get

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:40 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Taylorgso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 775
Welfare check arrived. Ordered my Sway Bar today (from Amazon). Should be here Wednesday... Hopefully I'll get it installed before next camping trip - maybe first cool day.

I'll see what effect it has on handling; may order Bilsteins when welfare check arrives next month.
__________________
Ed (N4RWU) & Becky Taylor
Mistie (Walks 4-down)
Greensboro, NC
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Taylorgso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 775
Hooray!! It arrived this morning, I installed this afternoon. Papa P it was more like 2 hours for me. I didn't trust the little jack stands I have which I use for rotating tires on my family sedans. Sooo. had to drive up on leveling blocks which raised the rear maybe 3.5" - not enough for comfort, so working under the Solera was really tight. And yes, I had to go buy Allen Socket adapter. Fashioned a third hand from some scrap wood I had laying around; really helped because the Hellwig bar is heavier than the stock one. Haven't weighed them but I'd estimate by at least 10#.

After I finished, I took it for a test drive - about 10-12 miles, highway and city; and with a storm brewing, I had a chance to check out the effect of cross winds of probably 15mph. Tried it up to 70mph (faster than I ever drive it). I couldn't believe the difference it made - maybe the best mod I've ever done in terms of cost vs. benefit. Highly recommended for those who haven't done this yet.
__________________
Ed (N4RWU) & Becky Taylor
Mistie (Walks 4-down)
Greensboro, NC
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorgso View Post
Hooray!! It arrived this morning, I installed this afternoon. Papa P it was more like 2 hours for me. I didn't trust the little jack stands I have which I use for rotating tires on my family sedans. Sooo. had to drive up on leveling blocks which raised the rear maybe 3.5" - not enough for comfort, so working under the Solera was really tight. And yes, I had to go buy Allen Socket adapter. Fashioned a third hand from some scrap wood I had laying around; really helped because the Hellwig bar is heavier than the stock one. Haven't weighed them but I'd estimate by at least 10#.

After I finished, I took it for a test drive - about 10-12 miles, highway and city; and with a storm brewing, I had a chance to check out the effect of cross winds of probably 15mph. Tried it up to 70mph (faster than I ever drive it). I couldn't believe the difference it made - maybe the best mod I've ever done in terms of cost vs. benefit. Highly recommended for those who haven't done this yet.
I gotta get mine installed couldn't last week because we were camping ... this week too busy to take it and next is a holiday week. Maybe I'll take it then anyway. Thanks for letting us know how it is working out!
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
papap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Southwest Louisiana
Posts: 747
Quick

Mine must of gone quicker because I did not use any jacks or raise camper. Oh and I have air tools. LOL
__________________
2016 Forester 3171DS
Work 28 and 28 around the world.
Camp every chance we get

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Taylorgso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by papap View Post
Mine must of gone quicker because I did not use any jacks or raise camper. Oh and I have air tools. LOL
AHA! Air tools. You don't know how close I was to running out and buying an air impact wrench! But had already wasted a good half hour looking for the Allen adapter!
__________________
Ed (N4RWU) & Becky Taylor
Mistie (Walks 4-down)
Greensboro, NC
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
hkreck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,333
Just wondering is the Hellwig bar much bigger than the one on the Solera? I wouldn't mind getting one if it's really going to make a difference. But does it????
__________________
Henry & Tena
hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Taylorgso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
Just wondering is the Hellwig bar much bigger than the one on the Solera? I wouldn't mind getting one if it's really going to make a difference. But does it????
Henry:
It's a direct replacement, fits the same holes, etc. The difference in the Hellwig is that it's a lot stronger, and larger diameter. It weighs substantially more than the stock one. So the other dimensions are the same, and it fits easily.

Yes, it really makes a difference. As I stated earlier, I installed today, and only had a 10-15 mile test drive in substantial cross winds. There is really a noticeable and great difference in handling. Not very expensive, and if you're handy with tools should have no problem doing a self-install.
__________________
Ed (N4RWU) & Becky Taylor
Mistie (Walks 4-down)
Greensboro, NC
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
hkreck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,333
Ed,
I'm looking at one on Amazon for $175 think I will order it after your statement. Thanks
__________________
Henry & Tena
hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Taylorgso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
Ed,
I'm looking at one on Amazon for $175 think I will order it after your statement. Thanks
Henry:
That's the one I ordered - if you have prime shipping is free and two day delivery. That was the best price I found. Make sure you have a torque wrench!
__________________
Ed (N4RWU) & Becky Taylor
Mistie (Walks 4-down)
Greensboro, NC
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida/Thailand/Texas
Posts: 238
FYI;
Interesting site at Hellwig 7254 | Frugal Mechanic

Just ordered thru JC Whitney with discount code of "HOTDEAL" for $169.17 (Free Shipping). Thanks for all your reviews.

CaptDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:15 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
hkreck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,333
Ed

I got them for $145 after applying for their Visa card plus free shipping. I presume that instructions come with them? I'll have to see about a torque wrench. Thanks
__________________
Henry & Tena
hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27 PM.