Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2012, 12:18 AM   #1

Help with lights

Does anyone know how to wire the headlight switch to work? I realize that the lights are wired to always be on, but I prefer to control them myself (such as parked with the engine running at night or when semis pass). Any help on how to disable the DRLs would be appreciated.

Also, the sprinter appears to have a factory option for fog lights. Anybody have a source for OEM fog lights to install in the Solera? Thanks for the help!
Sprintboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #2

As I understand it from reading other posts in here, MB dealer would have to do a programing change to the main computer to allow the lights to funtion that way.

Can't help on the fog light issue.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #3

It's illegal to alter your vehicle to defeat the always-on headlights.
Don Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintboy View Post
Does anyone know how to wire the headlight switch to work? I realize that the lights are wired to always be on, but I prefer to control them myself (such as parked with the engine running at night or when semis pass). Any help on how to disable the DRLs would be appreciated.

Also, the sprinter appears to have a factory option for fog lights. Anybody have a source for OEM fog lights to install in the Solera? Thanks for the help!
Click on the emergency brake one click if it has hydraulic brakes .
If it has air brakes there's a pressure sensor right past the brake release valve behind the dash just unplug the wire .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Wills View Post
It's illegal to alter your vehicle to defeat the always-on headlights.
I've never seen where it was illegal to disable day time running lights in the lower 48 but I'm sure Canada has another opinion.
Besides with so many vehicles with and with out dtrl how would they know if it was factory equipped or not?
Old 12-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I've never seen where it was illegal to disable day time running lights in the lower 48 but I'm sure Canada has another opinion.
Besides with so many vehicles with and with out dtrl how would they know if it was factory equipped or not?
Manufacturer's are required to build them that way. This includes my motorcycle.

The question becomes what are you allowed to remove:

1. horn
2. lights
3. replace treaded tires with slicks

etc.
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Laws in Canada and many European countries require vehicles to operate with lights on during the daytime. Canada requires vehicles made after Dec. 1, 1989, to be equipped with DRLs. The European Union requires DRLs for new cars and small vans under a law that took effect in February 2011. New trucks and buses in the EU must have DRLs starting in August 2012.No U.S. state mandates DRLs, but some require drivers to operate vehicles with lights on in bad weather.

Turbs
Old 12-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #8

Most dealers won't "deprogram" your DRLs (even though they can,) as well as turn down your EGR and other things that would make sense but are frowned upon by the EPA or other federal agencies. In the case of my VW, the dealer won't do it, but if you can find a local VW "guru" who's equipped with a VAG-COM diagnostic tool/programmer, you might be in luck. In the case of the MB Sprinter chassis, your best bet may be to find an online forum (like the Forest River one) that's dedicated to the Sprinter chassis (MB or Dodge) and see if there's someone in your area that is willing and able to do what you want.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
Most dealers won't "deprogram" your DRLs (even though they can,) as well as turn down your EGR and other things that would make sense but are frowned upon by the EPA or other federal agencies. In the case of my VW, the dealer won't do it, but if you can find a local VW "guru" who's equipped with a VAG-COM diagnostic tool/programmer, you might be in luck. In the case of the MB Sprinter chassis, your best bet may be to find an online forum (like the Forest River one) that's dedicated to the Sprinter chassis (MB or Dodge) and see if there's someone in your area that is willing and able to do what you want.
Reprogramming is an option but as I said there's a switch behind the dash on the air line if it has air brakes and a switch on the e brake if it's hydraulic.
My shop has two gmc med duty trucks one with air brakes one with hydraulic. We've disabled both via the two methods I've suggested.

Now on another note US Chevy owners can mod our headlights so high and low beam is on at the same time with high beams on.
Legal? No!! bright? He'll yes!
Turbs
Old 12-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #10

Does the e brake option allow the headlight switch to function as intended? I have a headlight switch that does nothing to the lights right now regardless of its position. This might do the trick.

I'm not aware if any US law mandating the use of DRLs. My fairly new Honda Pilot does not even offer them as an option.
Sprintboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Headlight function has normal operation regardless
Old 12-07-2012, 10:56 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Oh and by the way there may be another simple suggestion .....
Dtrl fuse?
Old 12-08-2012, 12:15 AM   #13

I think there's probably a relay which controls DRL's. Certainly European are not full power headlights, they are more like 60% output, and there should be a relay to control this. Can't help with this specific vehicle, but I do know that it can be done because I had a relay fail on my bus - and it took a lot of hunting while out on the road to track a replacement down.

2005 Ford F150 5.4
2011 Salem 21FBS
greenliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #14

I was wrong about there being a law mandating Daytime Running Lamps in the US. See Daytime running lamp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It appears that Mercedes simply doesn't want to have to make different versions of the Sprinter for different markets, and Canada and Europe require some sort of DRL, so Mercedes took the quick and dirty approach for the Sprinter - turn on the headlamps all the time.
Don Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Wills View Post
I was wrong about there being a law mandating Daytime Running Lamps in the US. See Daytime running lamp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So it would seem that they are not required in the US at present. Otherwise, they'd be on every car and truck sold here. The European thing is funny--my Jetta has them (and I hate them, because I'm replacing low beam bulbs way more often than in any other car I've ever owned,) but my wife's Range Rover doesn't have them. So it's not like all European companies are just putting them in everything. The Rover does have the cool "euroswitch" headlight control with the rear fog lights. That I do like--but I like having the option to turn them on and off. I wish VW would do that. I really hate having features in my car that I can't control...
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #16

An easy solution without programing a computer or adding relays would be to mount a double pole, single throw paddle toggle switch in the dashboard, normal position would close the contact and allow the lights. Run two 2 conductor wires through and existing firewall penetration and seal any gaps caused. Run one each twin lead to the DRL lights and identify the + lead to the filament. Maybe disconnect the connector to check. Cut the lead on each side and use waterproof splices to route the power to the switch and back to the lamp. Seal up, support the leads and you'll have dash control of both lights together without fancy mods.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote