Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2012, 07:41 AM   #1

House adapter

I got this adfapter to go from the rv to an extension cord to plug into the house electric. It does not fit into the extension cord end. On the side it says 15A 125V. Did I get the wrong adapter? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1477133962.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	20401  
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:07 AM   #2

Its your RV 30 or 50 amp? I have one like that (I think) and it works fine for my 30a TT cord.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:10 AM   #3

It is a Solera, 30 amp. So, I need one that says 30 amp instead of 15?
Old 10-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #4

It should say something like 30-15, with the 30 being the female end. You then plug the rv's power cord into the adapter, and the adapter into 20 or 15a outlet.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #5

I got one with my camper that looks just like yours, works fine. It is a tight fit though. You are using the power cord from the camper and placing the adapter on the end, right? Forgive me if this sounds like a silly question.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1
I got one with my camper that looks just like yours, works fine. It is a tight fit though. You are using the power cord from the camper and placing the adapter on the end, right? Forgive me if this sounds like a silly question.
Yes, the middle prong is what doesnt fit into the extension cord. Does yours say the same numbers as mine?
Old 10-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Yes, the middle prong is what doesnt fit into the extension cord. Does yours say the same numbers as mine?
Debbie, are you using an ungrounded extension cord that just has two prongs, and not one for the middle ground plug? If this is the case, you need to get a proper 3-prong grounded extension cord, that is of the right wire size.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #8

Yes, it is a three prong heavy duty extension cord. Maybe i just need to force it in there? I didnt wat to do that without checking first. So, it is the right numbers.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH
Yes, it is a three prong heavy duty extension cord. Maybe i just need to force it in there? I didnt wat to do that without checking first. So, it is the right numbers.
I meant that as a question. Is it the right numbers? Thanks!
Old 10-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #10
Site Team

without seeing the other side of the plug, can't say for sure.
but it looks like a basic 30-15 amp adapter.
the prongs that are showing, should plug into any grounded 15 amp cord.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:09 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Debbie, the extension cord you are going to force the adapter into, is it one you've had for awhile or brand new? The reason I ask, Is I've seen the grounding plug break off of other tools before, and that broke prong get stuck in the extension cord.

We don't want you trying to force the ground plug into the cord, if there is something stuck in it, blocking the path.

Pictures of all the pieces and ends would help out tremendously in the troubleshooting.

Also, make sure the extension cord is not plugged into your house (or shop, etc) outlet until you have been able to successfully plug the adapter into the extension cord first.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #12

Quote:
I got this adfapter to go from the rv to an extension cord to plug into the house electric. It does not fit into the extension cord end. On the side it says 15A 125V. Did I get the wrong adapter? Thanks
If you are using a 15 amp rated cord, it will fit. Note most grounds on the plug are round, the adapter is u shaped. That shape causes it to be tight the first few times its used. I've had the same triangle adapter, a couple of them in fact and they are the same standard, just a different way of skining the cat. Good idea to leave the cord unplugged from the source until you get it. But yes check to see if another 15 amp appliance will go in first. Any drill, mixer whatever to be sure all connections are open.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #13

show a pic.. of the other side of the adapter please..
Old 10-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #14

Just to reiterate other warnings. Make sure your last connection is into the wall.

If you have to exert force to make the adapter fit you may well wrap your fingers around the plug. If it is already plugged in you will get shocked.
cousin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #15

I'll have to wait to post pics of both sides, as it is at home, and I'm at work. The extension cord I tried was an old one, so, I'll go by Home Depot tonight on the way home and get a new one and see if that works. The adapter does go into the Motor Home electric, so I know that the female side is correct. I've emailed with the pic to Berryland and they said I do have the correct adapter - so probably just my ineptness at 6:00 am! I'll give it another shot tonight. Thanks for all the replies! This is a great place to go for answers

I was thinking enough not to plug the extension cord into the wall prior to trying to hook it up - thanks for looking out for me though!
Old 10-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
I've emailed with the pic to Berryland and they said I do have the correct adapter -

I was thinking enough not to plug the extension cord into the wall prior to trying to hook it up - thanks for looking out for me though!
Berryland. So are you a fellow Louisianamite?

How long of an extension cord do you need to get from the outlet to your trailer? (just so we can check and make sure you get the right gauge wire)

We also want to make sure that you understand when using the 30 amp to 15 amp adapter....you won't be able to use certain electrical things in your camper. You basically just lost half of your electrical capacity when connected this way with an adapter. You most likely don't want to try and use your air conditioner at all.... and/or your microwave depending on what else is running.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #17

[QUOTE=wmtire;262309]Berryland. So are you a fellow Louisianamite?

QUOTE]

Yes, and no! Yes, we live in New Orleans (Bywater) ... but we work in Mobile, AL. So, we are in Alabama about 3-4 days a week and in NOLA the rest of the time. First real adventure with the Solera will be the LSU vs. Mississippi State game in November. We have reservations at Farr Park - they have a shuttle to the game from there.

As far as the length of the extension cord, not that far probably 15 feet at the max.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #18

Would not run ac on a 15 amp cord.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by papap View Post
Would not run ac on a 15 amp cord.
Thanks .. and that is what the fellow that did our walkthrough with us told us as well. That when we have it plugged into the home electric, not to run the AC. We can run the AC when it is plugged into campground electric or when we are running the generator - but do not run it plugged into the home electric.

I want to plug it into the home electric because I am using the lights and want to get the refrigerator going. I'm using the lights because at night, I'm doing things like lining the cabinets, stocking it with "stuff" and just generally out there getting to know the beast! I don't want to take a chance of draining the house batteries.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #20

Husband solved my problem! He went to Home Depot and got this heavy duty extension cord, and it fits!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1935178244.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	20417   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-512543166.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	20418