Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2017, 12:50 PM   #1

Insurance???

I just took my Solera out of storage and contacted the insurance carrier. I suddenly was hit with a $600 increase on my premium? I was told that I would receive a refund once I put the unit back in storage, but I was wondering if an of the forum members had any input on this.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:16 PM   #2

I read on here about different rates on insurance based on "active" or whatever. Some mentioned suspending or something when not being used...maybe that is where it came from. As far as my insurance goes... I am using mine everyday. The freak storms scare the bjeebers out of me. I will pay extra for no doubt.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
I just took my Solera out of storage and contacted the insurance carrier. I suddenly was hit with a $600 increase on my premium? I was told that I would receive a refund once I put the unit back in storage, but I was wondering if an of the forum members had any input on this.
My insurance from good sams will in fact be charged the whole annual premium then refund after you put the rig back in storage. Worked for me! But originally they would charge one months premium month to month until it was returned back in storage. They changed that several years ago. Really isn't much difference.
A few years ago i insured thru progressive they didn't have a lower rate for stored rigs so i switched to Good Sams. Saved big $$$$$😁
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:41 PM   #4

Yes that's who I have also, I figure on putting the MH back in storage by late Aug. so I should get a fairly good refund? I hope.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:43 PM   #5

The bank will not allow us to drop the insurance coverage during the winter even if the trailer is just sitting in the yard. Never know when that huge meteor may hit....
Old 06-13-2017, 12:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaHunter View Post
The bank will not allow us to drop the insurance coverage during the winter even if the trailer is just sitting in the yard. Never know when that huge meteor may hit....
I've not ever dropped insurance taking it out of storage. Is still covered while its in there tho. You really need to check into Good Sams!
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:22 PM   #7

As long as you have it insured it covered but it depends on the type of coverage. In storage It's covered under comprehensive which is for fire, theft, weather (hail and the like). When you take it out of storage you need the Liability insurance in case you cause the accident or someone else hits you and they don't have insurance. At lease that's the way I understand it. Happy Camping.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:00 PM   #8

In California, it must be insured as long as it's registered, storage or not. Now one could file for non-operational during winter while it's in storage but probably have to get it smogged in spring.
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance