Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2010, 01:53 PM   #1

Inverter installation

Has anyone done an Inverter installation already on the Solera? If so, can you provide some insight into where it is installed and how?

If your Solera came with the inverter installed already where is it located and what brand/model is it?

I'm considering a small inverter to power the TV and a small stereo in the unit and need an Inverter to do so. The 12V outlet is wired to small and the power drops quickly below the acceptable level....

Thanks,
Reiner
reinerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:59 PM   #2

My Solera came with an "Iota" brand inverter system installed in a floor-level panel below the stove and oven. That's all I know right now since I've had no problems with it.

Regards, KAB
kabowings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #3

KAB,

do you mind taking a picture of the thing and post the model number they installed in there?

Just curious as I'm getting closer to make final decissions how I tackle the project and the OEM installation usually is a good compromise to base things off.

Thank you,
Reiner
Old 01-12-2011, 08:27 AM   #4

Solera Inverter

The "Iota" brand inverter panel is a 55 amp unit and I'll get a picture to you in a week or so when I get to it again. In case you haven't priced it yet, here's a site I found with pricing for Iota inverters: Iota : RV Power Parts Plus, Discount store for all your RV & Marine Electrical needs. Featuring the most trusted Manufacturers in the industry: Iota DLS Converters, Transfer Switches, Magnum Energy Inverters, Parallax Power Components, Progressive Dy

I'll try to get that picture to you soon... but it won't show much since it's such a small panel (only about 4-inches high by 8-inches wide), with a few breaker switches and fuses showing when you remove the plastic cover.

KAB
kabowings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:22 AM   #5

KAB,

actually that is the distribution center (110V and 12V) below the stove. I highly doubt that the inverter is part of this piece as we have the same in our unit (but no inverter).

I would assume that the inverter itself is somewhere underneath the drawers (kitchen or stove) as it should be as close to the battery as possible.

Maybe the documentation you got with your unit includes somehting about the inverter itself (I assume it is some 400W unit).

Thanks,
Reiner
Old 02-17-2011, 12:31 AM   #6

Smile inverter

I purchased an off the shelf inverter from the internet 450 watt. ( about 30 dollars ) The unit draws too much power to use the cigarette lighter outlet up near the TV
I built my own receptacle box to plug it into ( cigarette lighter type ) which I installed in the floor to the right of the steps into the unit ( its out of the way there ) (pepboys and home depot about 15 dollars). I ran two wires off the battery ( neg and positive ) to the receptacle with an inline fuse. When I need to power the TV I plug the inverter into receptacle on the floor and run and extension chord to the TV.

Ben San Diego 2011 Solera
Dish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:37 AM   #7
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabowings View Post
The "Iota" brand inverter panel is a 55 amp unit and I'll get a picture to you in a week or so when I get to it again. In case you haven't priced it yet, here's a site I found with pricing for Iota inverters: Iota : RV Power Parts Plus, Discount store for all your RV & Marine Electrical needs. Featuring the most trusted Manufacturers in the industry: Iota DLS Converters, Transfer Switches, Magnum Energy Inverters, Parallax Power Components, Progressive Dy

I'll try to get that picture to you soon... but it won't show much since it's such a small panel (only about 4-inches high by 8-inches wide), with a few breaker switches and fuses showing when you remove the plastic cover.

KAB
As was previously mentioned what you described it the distribution center and your converter 115 to 12v generally sits behind it. Converters are rated in amps, inverters are rated in watts. A built in inverter generally has a transfer switch built in as well so when the mains goes out it auto switches to inverter power. I installed a Xantrex 1800watt one in our previous trailer.
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solera