Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 02:31 PM   #1

Is there a way to turn off running lights off.

It does not seem right to have all lights including running lights on while running during the day. Is there any way off turning all or some of the lights out. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:47 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I turn my lights on when hauling my 5th wheel "seen and be seen"
Not really sure why you don't care to have them on?

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
Old 06-10-2014, 02:49 PM   #3

I feel like Roberto...but I guess there is nothing we can do...
Old 06-10-2014, 02:54 PM   #4
2018 FR3 30DS

I was in MB getting service yesterday and asked the man about turning off the lights. He was surprised that they were on all the time but that he would ask his tech. I ran into another situation and forget to ask him but have to go back this week to finish up the service. Will try to remember and advise...
Old 06-10-2014, 02:57 PM   #5

Read this thread, hope it answers your question.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...mps-60176.html
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
Old 06-10-2014, 03:05 PM   #6
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberto View Post
It does not seem right to have all lights including running lights on while running during the day. Is there any way off turning all or some of the lights out. Thanks for your help.
Can't understand why you would want to disable this safety feature, it has been proven to be very effective.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:20 PM   #7

Have to agree with DDC, I can't understand disabling lights just because their on when the vehicle is running. It's not like your going to run the battery down or something.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:25 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
Can't understand why you would want to disable this safety feature, it has been proven to be very effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
Have to agree with DDC, I can't understand disabling lights just because their on when the vehicle is running. It's not like your going to run the battery down or something.
My exact same sentiments in post #2

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
Old 06-10-2014, 03:29 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
Read this thread, hope it answers your question.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...mps-60176.html
Your search-foo or memory are better than mine. I couldn't find that thread.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:30 PM   #10

Cop shops disable them all the time.
On another forum someone posted that he was warned by base MP's that they need to be off when driving up to the gate.
One word, DRL does not mean your tail lights work.(okay that is more than one)
Old 06-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #11

With the Power coming from the tow vehicle, it has no adverse effect on the towed unit. For safety.... leave them on,please. The guy coming up behind you needs all the help he can get to judge what is in front of him.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Old 06-10-2014, 04:00 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Man it hurts to have to agree with ol FT Turbs, but on this one item, I have to agree wholeheartedly with him. WHY would you want them off???
Old 06-11-2014, 08:53 AM   #13

OK, I don't get it. Why would you want to turn the lights off?

Old 06-11-2014, 08:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Your search-foo or memory are better than mine. I couldn't find that thread.
That is why HE is the Fonz

(I tried to resist)
Old 06-11-2014, 09:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arefbee View Post

Good question. On the Solera there is 12 running lights that draw 10watts each, or a 120 watt draw. That is in addition to the tail, brake and license plate light. There is a control board that all this current goes through, that sometimes fails (other thread). That would be another reason.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:05 AM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arefbee View Post

Still on the same page as you.
"Why" does it matter if there always "on"
I have day time running lights on my Silverado they come on as soon as I put the truck in gear.
They can quickly be turned of with the simple turn of a dial . "But why"
On over cast or rainy days it's very hard to see vehicles without headlights on.
And in certain situations on sunny days I've found it hard to see some vehicles.

Lou I know you said "white" blob but how many units now are black, grey, brown and tan?
People pull out in front of tractor trailers all the time and there of the biggest vehicles on the hi way.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's law in Canada for drl isn't it?

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
Old 06-11-2014, 09:06 AM   #17
DDC

Shortly after Canada mandated DRLs, General Motors, interested in reducing the build variations of cars for the North American market, petitioned the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in 1990 to permit (but not require) US vehicles to be equipped with DRLs like those in Canada.[22] NHTSA objected on grounds of the potential for high-intensity DRLs to create problems with glare and turn signal masking, and issued a proposed rule in 1991 that specified a maximum intensity of 2,600 cd.[22] Industry and safety-watchdogs reacted to the proposed rule,[22] and eventually the glare objections were set aside and most of the same types of DRLs allowed in Canada were permitted but not required effective with the 1995 model year.[22] General Motors immediately equipped most (and, in following years, all) of its vehicles with DRLs beginning with the Chevrolet Corsica. Saab, Volkswagen, Volvo, Suzuki and Subaru gradually introduced DRLs in the U.S. market beginning in 1995. In recent years, Lexus has installed high-beam or turn signal based DRLs on US models. Some Toyota models come with DRLs as standard or optional equipment, and with a driver-controllable on/off switch. Starting in the 2006 model year, Honda began equipping their U.S. models with DRLs, mostly by reduced-intensity operation of the high beam headlamps.
Public reaction to DRLs, generally neutral to positive in Canada, is decidedly mixed in the U.S. Thousands of complaints regarding glare from DRLs were lodged with the DOT shortly after DRLs were permitted on cars, and there was also concern that headlamp-based DRLs reduce the conspicuity of motorcycles, and that DRLs based on front turn signals introduce ambiguity into the turn signal system.[23] In 1997, in response to these complaints and after measuring actual DRL intensity well above the 7,000 cd limit on vehicles in use, DOT proposed changes to the DRL specification that would have capped axial intensity at 1,500 candelas, a level equivalent to the European 1,200 cd and identical to the initially proposed Canadian limit.[22] During the open comment period, a volume of public comments were received by NHTSA in support of lowering the intensity or advocating the complete elimination of DRLs from U.S. roads. Automaker sentiment generally ran along consistent lines, with European automakers experienced at complying with European DRL requirements voicing no objection to the proposal, and North American automakers vociferously repeating the same objections they raised in response to Canada's initial 1,500-cd proposal.[23][24] The NHTSA proposal for DRL intensity reduction was rescinded in 2004,.[25] pending agency review and decision on a petition filed in 2001 by General Motors, seeking to have NHTSA mandate DRLs on all U.S. vehicles.[26] The GM petition was denied by NHTSA in 2009, on grounds of severe methodological and analytical flaws in the studies and data provided by GM as evidence for a safety benefit to DRLs.[26] In denying the petition, NHTSA said
(…)the agency remains neutral with respect to a policy regarding the inclusion of DRLs in vehicles (…) we do not find data that provides a definitive safety benefit that justifies Federal regulation (…) manufacturers should continue to make individual decisions regarding DRLs in their vehicles.[26]
Several states on the Eastern Seaboard, the Southeast, and Gulf Coast (except Texas) have enforced vehicular laws since the early 1990s where windshield wipers are in use, the headlights must be switched on. This prompted the phasing in of DRLs in the affected states (from Maine to Florida including Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama).[27]
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
With the Power coming from the tow vehicle, it has no adverse effect on the towed unit. For safety.... leave them on,please. The guy coming up behind you needs all the help he can get to judge what is in front of him.
Yeah, those pesky little 5th wheels (and motrohomes) are very hard to see during the daytime. If someone can't see what's in front of them without some sort of illumination during the day, that individual should only be allowed to sit in a vehicle as a passenger. Hopefully you are refering to night time situations.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:12 AM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Illinois is another state that adopted "lights on" if "wipers on" law

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
Old 06-11-2014, 09:25 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Illinois is another state that adopted "lights on" if "wipers on" law

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
Darn good rule too. Rain equals reduced visibilty, equals wipers on, equals light em up. Good rule.
Closed Thread

Tags
light