Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #1

K&N reusable air cleaner

Question-- Anyone trying using this aircleaner? PN K&N 33-2391. Curious any performance or economy gains. Larry
13larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #2

I have used a K&N filter before. I have not used that specific PN though. Obviously, that PN is limited to a few models. You will most likely get some more replies and opinions from folks who have used K&N in general.

Me personally, I did not notice any difference in performance or economy. The vehicle I used it on was not used for towing though so some other folks might comment in.

The only advantage I see the the K&N and that is just my opinion is that it can be reused so you aren't spending 10-15 bucks for an air filter every time.

I think though that if the K&N is coupled with an intake or if you buy the intake kits that K&N puts out you will have the best luck in seeing gains in performance and economy.

Again, just my opinion and others might have better or worse opinions. Good luck!
Flagstaffer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
Wanna Be Camper

First, is you MAF sensor close to the air filter because if it is and you over oil the K&N you risk messing up the MAF. Also K&N filters do not filter out dust near as well as the factory style filter unit. I would not IMO waste my money on one for your intended purpose.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #4

I put a k&n drop in replacement in my new tundra when it was brand new so I really can't give a comparison over stock. I have been very happy with the mpgs. K&n claims there filter works better than oem when it comes to filtering. I did notice a slight difference in engine sound which I do like. The main reason I bought one is so I don't have to buy another filter. I have put them on every vehicle I have owned and never had a issue with any of them.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:11 PM   #5

K&N Consumer Protection Pledge
I used to use K&N filters until I bought the diesel and saw Independant test showing the stock AC filter that is in it flows more air and filters better.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Have used a K&N filter for at least 20 years, If they are good enough for the $50,000+ World of Outlaw sprint car engines, they're good enough for me. Spent hundreds of dollars for oem type paper aircleaners prior to that and have only bought 2 K&N's in 20 yrs and that's because I bought a new truck in 2000 and the one for the 95 wouldn't fit. The one for the 2000 is now in my 05 and still going strong 13 yrs later and well over 200,000 miles on it.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #7

I personaly will never put another K&N air filter in any of my vehicles. I used to use them in all my stuff but after seeing them let fine dust through it is scary. Diesels are even worse with them and Ford, not sure about the rest, will not warranty a dusted engine if you are using one.
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
One Happy Camper!

I have used k&n in every vehicle I have ever owned. I have used drop ins and full intake kits. I have nothing but great things to say. I agree with the above post about over oiling and Maf fouling, but that is user error. Also if a manufacturer refuses warranty because of k&n use, k&n will send a lawyer to file a magnuson-moss warranty act lawsuit on your behalf. They are a great company that stands behind the product.

SPPD

TV: 15 F-250 Crew 6.2 short bed, ProPride Hitch
1995 Jayco Eagle 304 BH sold- March 2013
1978 Nomad 18 sold- April 2005
SPPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #9

k&n does have a good product backed by even better marketing. if you look at their hp increase and mileage claims the best increase comes at over 5000 rpm. how often does your vehicle run at that rpm. if you are looking for an increase in hp and mileage an intake system is only part of the solution. personally i will spend the 10 to 15 dollars twice a year for an oem air filter to protect my $30000 + investment
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrunning View Post
k&n does have a good product backed by even better marketing. if you look at their hp increase and mileage claims the best increase comes at over 5000 rpm. how often does your vehicle run at that rpm. if you are looking for an increase in hp and mileage an intake system is only part of the solution. personally i will spend the 10 to 15 dollars twice a year for an oem air filter to protect my $30000 + investment
In my case, K&N filter=$68.93. 13 yrs x 2 changes/yr @ $15 ea= $390.
I'll keep my K&N filter. As I said, the WoO sprint car owners use them for their $50,000+ engines.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Beast View Post
K&N Consumer Protection Pledge
I used to use K&N filters until I bought the diesel and saw Independant test showing the stock AC filter that is in it flows more air and filters better.
I heard this too.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:54 PM   #12

never said they were bad filters. and racers do use them for expensive engines. i also understand that from my few post count and join date i am new to this forum and am sorry if i steeped on any one toes. i only speak from30 years experience as a mechanic
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #13

I use them but one has to balance the hype and advertising with some common sense. Today's technology is a lot different than years ago. The auto industry never bothered to use MPG as a selling point. Today that's a very different story. If they can boost MPG and performance just by installing a really good free flowing air cleaner I believe they'd do it. Case in point. I have advocated Mobil 1 oil for 40 years. Back n the 70's I read nothing that caused me be skeptical of the claim of Mobil 1 and that's still true today. You might say then why won't the Auto Industry use it exclusively??? Good question. It's probably political, like oil in the pocket of the politicians. Now we get to the Corvette. Sometime back in the mid to late 80's Corvette came out with Mobil 1 from the factory. WHY?? From a really, really good source at Valvoline I found out that they took the oil cooler off the Corvette to save weight and the oil temps went to high so they switched to Mobil 1 and the temps came back down. Today the Vette, s far as I know and that may not be up to date, still come from the factory with Mobil 1.
TeJay
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:07 PM   #14

Just an opinion my Dodge diesel guy told me to trash my K&N because they were "cheap junk" & buy a afe "gold" filter .....I did & I must say they is no comparing the two .....The K&N was like comparing a VW to a BMW the quality of the unit is so much better with the afe................... I do also run a 4" exhaust but the bullydog tuner had to fall off too what a piece of junk....... (They were on the truck when I bought it)

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #15

K&N filters work great and breath well for gas engines. The fine particles that are allowed through get burnt in the fuel/air mixture on top of the piston and there’s no damage. I don’t use one on a diesel because that air charge goes through the compressor wheel of the turbo and those fine particles erode the leading edge of the compressor. I’ve seen the results of using a free flowing air filter on diesels. I don't believe that they're cheap junk though. My 2 cents.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #16
PPST OGCDG

I only use stock Ford filters in my Truck

Important information about http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/air-filter-study.html
I know this is a GM test. I have seen the same type for Ford
Frank-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank-VA View Post
I only use stock Ford filters in my Truck

Important information about http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/air-filter-study.html
I know this is a GM test. I have seen the same type for Ford
Thanks Frank. The air filter link and the oil filter link are now part of my library.
Herk
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote