Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2012, 12:38 AM   #1
2012 Solera

Low point water drain?

I'm not sure where to drain the hot water tank. (2012 Solera) There is a valve at the back under the bed pedistal: Access thru the small hatch in the right side storage compartment. Don't know if this completely drains the tank?
JamesR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:24 AM   #2
2018 FR3 30DS

Low point drains

The low point drains on my 2011 Solera are slightly to the left of the retractable step. Reach up under or look and you can see/feel the two pipes and the caps screw off. To drain the hot water tank, remove the cover from the passenger side and there's a plug located about in the middle and on the bottom. It is a one and one sixteenth ( 1 & 1/16) size and you can use a ratchet/socket to remove it. This is also the replaceable anode often referred to on this forum. If I am not mistaken, the drain plug you are referring to may be the drain for the water tank. Did you have to remove a cover and then reach to the left to turn the valve? If so, then it's probably the water tank drain.
If you are not familiar with what the hot water cover looks like, there should be an owner's manual included. It has a picture of it.

Caution: Make sure that the hot water tank has water in it before turning on the electricity to it. You can burn up the heating element quickly if there's no water in the tank.
Hope this helps.
Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:27 AM   #3

To drain the hot water tank:
1. Open the exterior door to the tank closet to gain access to the tank
2. Find the drain plug, located at the bottom of the tank
3. Remove the plug
4. Open the pop-off valve by pulling the leaver up to make the water drain faster

Here is a picture of the exterior door to the tank closest.

Your low point drains are blue and black pipes located under the trailer. The pipes have a cap on them. Remove the cap to drain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Heater Vent Screen.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	10223  
campdohbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by campdohbrew View Post
To drain the hot water tank:
1. Open the exterior door to the tank closet to gain access to the tank
2. Find the drain plug, located at the bottom of the tank
3. Remove the plug
4. Open the pop-off valve by pulling the leaver up to make the water drain faster

Here is a picture of the exterior door to the tank closest.

Your low point drains are blue and black pipes located under the trailer. The pipes have a cap on them. Remove the cap to drain.
It's a good idea to open the pop-off valve before removing the drain plug. Last time I removed my plug the water in the tank was under pressure and shot the plug out about 3 feet. I'd never seen that happen on my other TT.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #5
2012 Solera

Thanks everyone! I guess i will need to pull the anode to drain the hot water tank. There is no other outlet in the access panel that I can see. Still looking for the drain points mentioned?
Old 02-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
2012 Solera

This image shows the hot water tank area: No drain plug?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	feb12 058.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	10242  
Old 02-07-2012, 09:21 PM   #7

Removing the anode rod is the only way. Advised to flush out the inside of the w/h after you remove the anode since there is residue below the level of the rod. There are flexible wands that you can buy or some have made wands themselves to help flush the tank.

From personal experience, stand to the side when removing the rod or have a pair of dry pants handy!
Old 02-07-2012, 11:26 PM   #8
2018 FR3 30DS

low point drains in Solera

Low point drains are located to the left of the retractable step. You can look under there and see them hanging straight down and they have caps on the end. Since your Solera is a 2012, the floor plan may be different from mine...
Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #9

I never knew about the low point drain. The dealer did not mention this only told me the one in the storage comp. Thanks for the info.
Poppy Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
This image shows the hot water tank area: No drain plug?
If I understand this correctly and you're looking for the drain on the hot water tank, the arrow is pointing to it at least that's where my drain is located....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Bill
2020 GMC Duramax-3500HD 4x4 CrewCab
B&W Companion 25K Fifth Wheel Hitch
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS (West Coast Model)
56 Gallon Titan Tank
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote