Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #1

Magnadyne Sirius antenna inguiry

My magnadyne in dash radio which came with my Solera (2012) evidently does not have an antenna to receive Sirius XM signal. It was explained to me by the dealer, that the small black square antenna positioned on the dashboard, paasenger side near the bottom of the windshield, is for the GPS funtion and is not a Sirius antenna. I assumed that FR would have installed the antenna for the Sirius radio function during initial build out of my unit.
Does anybody have a different expierence with their Solera equipped with the Magnadyne radio, regarding the Sirius feature.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
Love My Sunseeker

I don't have a Solera, I have a Sunseeker, but I have the same thing. Radio is "Sirius Ready" but I don't have the Sirius.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:18 PM   #3

Above is correct - your Solera is Sirrius READY - it doesn't have the module or the antenna yet. We have Sirrius - but it was installed later and we ended up having to run the antenna to the roof. Although some here have been able to get good reception with the antenna under the mattress in the cab.
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012WhiteSolera View Post
I assumed that FR would have installed the antenna for the Sirius radio function during initial build out of my unit.
Nope. No Sirius receiver. No satellite radio antenna. The Magnadyne itself is bare bones, with a miserable user interface and lousy radios.

FWIW, we've had this discussion on other threads. It helps keep the cost down. Not providing an overall, model specific, user manual containing the schematic of the plumbing and electrical is another way FR cuts costs. It's hard to believe that an RV costing upwards of $100K is a low end model missing various features, but that's what Uncle Warren wants to sell. Reminds me of Walmart. Price is good, but at what cost...
Don Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:36 AM   #5

Don thanks and DH as well. Love the Uncle Warren reference too. Our salesman used that (UW) as a selling point. I told him i'm not impressed at all. What impresses me is the integrity of FR and how they treat their customers, not some loaded guy, that should stay focused on the stable of companies, like FR, making it one of the best in the industry.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #6

Looking at Crutchfield's site, there is apparently no receiver that comes with Sirius pre-installed - they state they are "Sirius Compatible." I've installed Sirius on 4 differtent vehicles. You can now buy the receiver and antenna kit for a very reasonable price. Seems like I found a kit for my Magnadyne for less than $50.00 - can't remember where!! And it's a plug and play install - (of course with a Sirius subscription)! Just need to find a place to tuck the Sirius receiver in somewhere behind the dash radio, and run the antenna to a favorable spot. I'm one of those who routed the antenna to a spot under the overhead bunk in my Class C - works extremely well.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:14 AM   #7
Commercial Member

This is the tuner and antenna.

Amazon.com : SiriusXM SXV200v1 Connect Vehicle Tuner for SiriusXM-Ready Car Stereo Receivers : Electronics

The Magandyne itself is NOT bare bones. I make a habit of looking at what other mfg's are doing. Some are Using Clarion, just CD players. Jayco has one model that is using a RADIO ONLY. No DVD, no CD, nada, ZIP. That to me is bare bones not the Mag.

Magnadyne is Bluetooth, weatherband, DVD, CD, MP3, GPS, 5.1 surround out (one of the very few dash radios that offer this), 2 audio IN feeds. Its a pretty robust system as long as you have the firmware updated. Is it perfect? No, but I personally use this system and it works pretty good in my mind.

Now, the GPS I can't speak for. I use Google maps turn by turn while in the states and TomTOm installed on my iPhone for Canada (since the maps are downloaded to my device, no data needed).

I have had Kenwood, B&O, Bose, Pioneer, etc, etc through the years. I can say without a doubt there was not not one system that was perfect. The Magnadyne might not be the system that you want...but that's why it is so easy to upgrade to whatever your heart desires.

We try to give you a good system at a good price. If we were trying to be "cheap" we would put in a radio only. Or a radio with CD player. There are definitely cheaper options on the market. The MagM4 was a nice balance of features and price.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:44 AM   #8

I'm glad u put the magnadyne vs a CD player as we stream the music off our I phones and the DVD player works great and sounds great too and the GPS does work, Although rarely use
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:29 PM   #9
'79 Bonneville

We were told that our 24M was "satellite ready" when we bought it. We then learned that that meant you can buy the Sirius tuner and antenna and install it yourself. It was suggested that the antenna, which has a magnetic base, can be located on the hood but if you do that, you will lose the Sirius signal when you are traveling north because the Sirius satellite is usually over the southern hemisphere and the overhang over the cab is in the way in that direction. I eventually put the antenna on the roof and the wire is now on the outside of the body to get down behind the dash to connect to the receiver.

FR should have installed the Sirius antenna on the roof when they installed the FM antenna up there during manufacture. The cost of the antenna and the work to install it then would be negligible. It should be assumed that most customers will want Sirius on long trips. We have a Volvo that was truly "satellite ready" because all we had to do was turn it on and initiate a subscription. I certainly expected the same for the Solera.
bcunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #10

Actually this is industry-standard wording. I'm guessing if you go back to your Volvo's window sticker that it says Sirius equipped. "Xyz"-ready in the automotive world is standard for can be added. In the earlier days of Onstar and satellite radio I installed many modules/antennas on GM cars that were Onstar or XM ready.

I'm not arguing the neglible cost as I agree that the antenna should have been there. It would have made the installation much easier.
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:54 AM   #11
Commercial Member

I'm not sure I agree with the "should have been installed". I admit I would like to see them installed and I am working on getting that done.

But these are recreational vehicles that in most cases get used a small percentage of the year. We would not just install the antenna...we would need to install the tuner as well. So we would addd the cost of the antenna/tuner/installation for 100% of the units so that 5% may take advantage of it. I'm sure that for a heavy user or full timer it is a must. But for most people using them on weekends or a few weeks a year.....are they going to pay a full year for service? when they can just use an iPod?

Again, don't get me wrong...I would like to see them added as an extra benefit, but I'm not sure I agree that it should have been there in the fist place. Optional? maybe.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:21 AM   #12

BC,

I think that the antenna could be installed separate from the tuner as I've been able to buy just the antenna before. I don't feel like the tuner is necessary as you are adding a much larger cost there. No one is going to notice an extra $20 on a large ticket item such as a motorhome and the satisfaction level for those that want satellite-seems like quite a few on this model-is exponentially increased.

Mine is just a thought-definitely not a complaint. We have had very little to complain about as far as Forest River is concerned. Thanks again for being an active participant here!
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Understand.

One thing to note...with no tuner we have to way to test the antenna installation.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #14

I agree with bclemens. Unless you already have a Sirius/XM subscription, the cost is $16.95/month. (current subscribers can add an additional receiver for half price). For something you'll only use periodically, it's an unreasonable expense for most. Yes, you can cancel the subscription and restart it later (at additional expense), but that's a hassle. Installation is so sinple even a caveman can do it, so for those who want it, purchasing an aftermarket receiver and antenna makes more sense than for everyone else to pay for what only a few may use.

Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:33 AM   #15

I am very glad the radio was "satellite ready". We love XM and have it in both of our cars. It was no problem to purchase and install the tuner. Never expected that FR would supply it. I located our antenna on the front fender edge and painted it with touch-up paint to match the vehicle color. It is not a perfect location. Fades when heading North. Still thinking about where and how to relocate or switch to an "indoor" antenna. Still, it is a great addition to have XM radio when traveling or parked.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to King Yankee Send a message via Yahoo to King Yankee
learned a lot from these posts, thanks gang. now I know why I can't get xm to work.

Lexington GTS 300 S/S
Chevy Avalanche
Jeep Wrangler
Honda Goldwing
King Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #17

I put my XM antenna in the skylight above the dinette. Excellent satellite and terrestrial reception
DavidS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #18

Went directly to Sirius for an answer. They said the radio is yours and the add on reciever is needed. You can get it at Best Buy for about $49. Actually, I bought a portable receiver for use anywhere, home and vehicles. $199. The antenna they give you mounts on the hood but lost signal whenever we traveled North (body blocked the sattelite which is southerly) so I bought a Marine antenna and mounted it on the roof. No problems.
rarfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to King Yankee Send a message via Yahoo to King Yankee
rarfire, can you give us a little more detail. I have the same issue with xm radio (poor reception). what marine antenna part #, maybe a picture where you mounted it and where you routed wires. thanks pal.

Lexington GTS 300 S/S
Chevy Avalanche
Jeep Wrangler
Honda Goldwing
King Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #20

rarfire, might we have a look at that marine gadget you bought and perhaps where you mounted it? Thanks.