Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2018, 12:09 PM   #1

Magnadyne Stereo Night Mode Defeat

The screen on my Magnadyne system dims automatically because of the DRL's, rendering it unreadable in bright light.
I want to defeat the auto-dim and just use the systems' manual dim mode.
I don't see a model number on the face of my unit, which I need in order to view the manual and determine which wire it is.
The manual probably won't show how to do it, but I assume I can either unplug the wire that feeds from the headlights or, if it's part of a gang plug, just cut it and cap the input wire.
Does anyone know the model stereo used in the 2013/14 production year?

One other question: has anyone had luck playing music loaded on a thumb drive while the vehicle is in motion? My system wants the parking brake on when a thumb drive is inserted. No video on it, just music.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 12:36 PM   #2
2012 Solera

Magnadyne Wiring

My 2012 used the M4LCD (before I changed it for a Kenwood). Suspect yours uses the same Magnadyne. The wires of interest are Blue/Black (Dimmer Control) and Orange (Parking Brake). See attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MagnadyneWiringDgm.pdf (595.7 KB, 41 views)
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 12:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
My 2012 used the M4LCD (before I changed it for a Kenwood). Suspect yours uses the same Magnadyne. The wires of interest are Blue/Black (Dimmer Control) and Orange (Parking Brake). See attached.
Thanks, Jim.
Soooo...you got me thinking, which might get me in trouble, lol! In the diagram, it shows 2 wires in a dual gang plug. I assume a switch in the parking brake mechanism sends power to the system when the brake is engaged. Therefore, if I swapped those 2 wires, the stereo would auto dim when the brake is engaged (which would be OK) and when driving, the DRLs would fool the system into thinking the brake is on.
The only problem is that I'd have to turn on the headlights when parked if I wanted to watch a DVD, but then, I've never watched a DVD in it in 4 years.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:31 PM   #4
2012 Solera

As I remember, the headlight sensor looks for voltage; the parking brake sensor looks for ground.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnbnb View Post
Thanks, Jim.
Soooo...you got me thinking, which might get me in trouble, lol! In the diagram, it shows 2 wires in a dual gang plug. I assume a switch in the parking brake mechanism sends power to the system when the brake is engaged. Therefore, if I swapped those 2 wires, the stereo would auto dim when the brake is engaged (which would be OK) and when driving, the DRLs would fool the system into thinking the brake is on.
The only problem is that I'd have to turn on the headlights when parked if I wanted to watch a DVD, but then, I've never watched a DVD in it in 4 years.
Oops! Upon enlarging the diagram, I see that the dimmer control is a positive connection, while the parking brake wire is a negative connection. I will unplug the gang entirely and then simply chassis ground parking brake wire to bypass the brake switch.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:56 PM   #6
2012 Solera

Should work. As I remember, I just cut the headlight wire. On mine the parking brake lock out never worked anyway.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
Should work. As I remember, I just cut the headlight wire. On mine the parking brake lock out never worked anyway.
Got it done. I did not have the DIN tools to remove the radio, but after taking off the trim I just dropped the A/C control unit down out of the way to access the wiring. It's a real bird's nest of RCA plugs and various wires in there!
I attached a new ground wire to one of the upper studs where the steering column is bolted to the firewall and spliced the line into the stereos' parking brake wire. I didn't cut the wire, just removed some insulation and twisted it on good and tight. I think it will be ok without solder. Works good now.
I also cut the dimmer wire and capped it. No more "invisible" screen during the day now! Yay!!!
Thanks for your help! Also, I applaud those who have tackled changing out their units. There would be a lot of time invested in redoing all that wiring.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:52 PM   #8

One other thing: I realized the way I tapped into the wiring for the "media player parking brake defeat" would likely cause the light on the dash to come on, so I just cut the connection and put a wire nut on the splice.
All is good.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:17 AM   #9

We also have problems with the Magdyne seeing it while driving in the sunlight - hard to see. Also need to update maps and don't know how. We have the 2012 version and Solara 24S Any suggestions will be appreciated.
ClaireJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireJ View Post
We also have problems with the Magdyne seeing it while driving in the sunlight - hard to see. Also need to update maps and don't know how. We have the 2012 version and Solara 24S Any suggestions will be appreciated.
You can manually set the screen to bright each time you start up or cut and cap the blue wire to the radio. The wire is labeled. If your maps can be updated through "Navextras" web site. Their web address is in the Magnadyne manual.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:04 PM   #11

BTW, to update you will need to remove your radio to access the memory card in the back of the unit.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
You can manually set the screen to bright each time you start up or cut and cap the blue wire to the radio. The wire is labeled. If your maps can be updated through "Navextras" web site. Their web address is in the Magnadyne manual.
Even on "bright" it was illegible. Cutting the blue/black line works, but best to replace whole unit with a better, up to date system. Magnadyne system is cumbersome, especially for GPS.

Tags
stereo