Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2014, 03:43 PM   #1

Maintenance display reset

I recently had my scheduled oil change maintenance done by a non-MB dealership (GM where my good friend is the service manager), but they didn't know how to reset the service reminder interval. On start-up, I continued to get a wrench symbol followed by the number of days until service due (I had the service done a little early as I was headed out on a trip).

Doing a search of the forum, I found an old thread on the subject, complete with the procedure for resetting a 2012 MB Sprinter display. Mine is a 2013, but the procedure worked flawlessly.

In hopes of saving someone else some trouble, I have posted the procedure below, with two notes regarding slight differences I experienced. I did not create this procedure, nor was I the one who originally posted it. Many thanks to the original author: 2012WhiteSolera with an update by JLeising. Giving credit where credit is due.

Here's the procedure...

1. Put the key in the ignition and switch it on without starting the engine.

2. The ASSYST mileage will show, when the mileage shown returns to the vehicle mileage, IMPORTANT the mileage of the vehicle needs to return THEN and ONLY then hit the O button.....hold the O button down till you hear a beep (could take a while) and you will hear one soft little beep – then move on to the M button.

3. As soon as you hear the beep, press the M button once to see the menu, then repeatedly and a number of reset menus will appear. Select "reset 51" (don't know what the other reset menus are for). [Note: my display just showed ".51" and not "reset 51." This may be a change in the 2013]

4. At reset 51 press the O button until a number 2 appears, release the O button, then press it TWICE, and the LCD should show "display reset done" or just "done". [Note: Mine reset instantly on the first press, though I did the 2--press routine as suggested. This may also be a 2013 change.]

Thanks again for making this available. Normal caveats apply; not responsible for unanticipated rresults.

TJ
Tranquil Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:28 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to Pedrodasdas
Hi Tranquil Jim,

What oil did your friend put in it ?

Tranquil as in quiet ?

Pierrôt and Sylvie D'Astous, Solera 2011
38 on 50 states, 9 on 10 provinces.
Pedrodasdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:51 AM   #3

"Tranquil" as in "peaceful!"

To tell the truth, I don't exactly what oil they used except that he assured me it meets the standard MB sets. This particular GM dealer maintains several commercial MB Sprinter-chassis vehicles, along with Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:25 AM   #4
2012 Solera

Hi Tranquil Jim -
I've posted on this earlier, but thought I should reiterate a warning. I had a local Ford dealer who claimed Sprinter maintenance capability and experience do my 10K and 20K maintenance. Like your GM dealer, diesel experience and said he maintained Sprinters - but didn't re-set the service indicator at the 10K service (I thought "no big deal").

The 20K service calls for a fuel filter replacement, which he did. I have since learned that to replace the fuel filter the air intake hose to the Turbo should be removed and re-installed. There is a "compensating ring" between the hose and the Turbo. This "compensating ring" (about a $30 item) is supposed to be replaced whenever the air hose is re-installed. Mercedes has issued a service bulletin related to this specifically - even down to specifying torque specs for the hose clamps on the air hose. My local Ford dealer was apparently unaware of the service bulletin and improperly handled the air hose (I suspect just pushed it a little out of the way to squeeze the fuel filter in under it). As a result, about 8K miles later my turbo "ate" the compensating ring - had to have the turbo replaced on the road. Mercedes denied warranty coverage because the failure was caused by improper maintenance procedure by the Ford dealer. (Eventually I recovered the cost from the Ford dealer - after 9 months and starting a small claims action.) So - be careful with non-Mercedes fuel filter replacement.

On the oil change, in addition to the appropriate Mercedes approved oil, the level is fairly critical. A slight overfill will cause a warning light, as the Sprinter monitors oil level. On a hot (over 100 degree) day, I found I had to drain out about a pint of oil to correct the warning light - suspect fill was marginally high, and a little expansion from the heat tripped the sensor.

Regards, Jim
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:36 PM   #5

Thanks, Jim. That is good information.

My problem is that the local MB dealer doesn't work on Sprinters, so it is 100 miles to one that does.

I will mention this information to my GM service manager friend and see if he is aware of it.

TJ
Old 09-25-2014, 02:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Thanks, Jim. That is good information.

My problem is that the local MB dealer doesn't work on Sprinters, so it is 100 miles to one that does.

I will mention this information to my GM service manager friend and see if he is aware of it.

TJ
Tranqil,

Better double check by asking what oil they used for your Sprinter. Chances are they just used what they had in stock. You must be aware that if improper oils are used you risk voiding your warranty. Ask them to give you the brand of oil, any oil that would be in stock at a GM dealer probably was not the correct oil. It really does matter.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:11 PM   #7

Thanks, StillKicking.

I just checked my service invoice and find that the GM dealership used Mobil 1 5W-40 that is listed on the MB 228.51, 229.31 and 229.51 spec sheets so I think I'm OK. My service manager friend is a very meticulous guy and would check the specs if if wasn't sure.

Thanks for the concern. It is always better to be safe than sorry.

TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Tranqil,

Better double check by asking what oil they used for your Sprinter. Chances are they just used what they had in stock. You must be aware that if improper oils are used you risk voiding your warranty. Ask them to give you the brand of oil, any oil that would be in stock at a GM dealer probably was not the correct oil. It really does matter.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks, StillKicking.

I just checked my service invoice and find that the GM dealership used Mobil 1 5W-40 that is listed on the MB 228.51, 229.31 and 229.51 spec sheets so I think I'm OK. My service manager friend is a very meticulous guy and would check the specs if if wasn't sure.

Thanks for the concern. It is always better to be safe than sorry.

TJ
Your welcome. The mobil 1 oil that meets 229.51 spec is designated by "formula m" which means mercedes. Only formula m in the mobil 1 product line, meets the required spec. All other "mobil 1" oils do not meet mercedes specs, unless it states formula m. There are other brands out there.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:09 PM   #9

Just curious...do you work for MB, perhaps? You seem to have a lot of specifics regarding motor oils.

With all the oils listed in MMB 228.51, MB 229.31 and MB 229.51, I find it hard to understand why the oil formulation is such a big deal. My guess...which I'd rather not test...is that if MB tried to invalidate the warranty because a non-Formula M version of an otherwise reputable oil designed for diesels was used, the consumer protection folks would have a heyday. Just my guess, understand.

If you have some inside information on this, I would be interested in hearing it.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Just curious...do you work for MB, perhaps? You seem to have a lot of specifics regarding motor oils.

With all the oils listed in MMB 228.51, MB 229.31 and MB 229.51, I find it hard to understand why the oil formulation is such a big deal. My guess...which I'd rather not test...is that if MB tried to invalidate the warranty because a non-Formula M version of an otherwise reputable oil designed for diesels was used, the consumer protection folks would have a heyday. Just my guess, understand.

If you have some inside information on this, I would be interested in hearing it.
Nope, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Seriously, just reading this forum and owning a MB sprinter with the newer emission standards as of 2010, which began the DEF additive to cut down drastically on NOX emissions. It's a whole new system, so special oils were designed, (i.e. low ash, etc.) because your Benz also has a diesel particulate filter in-line exhaust, and previous oils don't meet newer MB specs. The biggie here is if you have an issue, MB can point to improper maint. (i.e. non spec oil) if they so choose and skate on the warranty.

And as far as the government helping you in that fight, noway, it's your responsibility to keep your warranty in force, by following the recommended maintenance, AND be able to prove it. Short of that, get your wallet out, you will lose.

I went this exact route with a VW, they were shocked I had the documentation to back it up. They footed the bill for the engine re-build, I had a free loaner.

Tags
maintenance