Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2022, 10:31 PM   #1

Manually Closing a Slide

Preparing for the worst has anybody had to manually close their slide due to a failure?
How?

Thanks
Retired_Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 10:34 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_Couple View Post
Preparing for the worst has anybody had to manually close their slide due to a failure?
How?

Thanks
It would probably help if you posted year, make and model number of your RV since you don't have it listed in your profile or signature.
I assume it's a Solera motorhome.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 11:10 PM   #3
2012 Solera

Assuming your MH is the 2013 Solera mentioned in your other posts, and assuming your Slideout is the same as on my 2012 (Lippert Flush Floor):

The Slideout motor/gearbox assembly on mine is accessible through the propane compartment. Above the regulators, as I remember. There is a hex on the motor shaft. Can be manually turned with a ratchet and socket.

Link to Lippert Flush Floor Slideout:

https://www.dutchmen.com/resources/m...nformation.pdf

Page 6 shows manual hex drive on motor/gearbox assembly.

FYI, Jim
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 08:50 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
How?

Thanks
There are at least a half dozen different slide mechanisms that Forest River uses. Not all R/Vs are the same. Some R/Vs have a couple different slide types on the same R/V
All retract/extend somewhat differently.
What slide type are YOU referring to?

Days Camped: '18=48 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=112 '23=32
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 11:54 PM   #5

Sorry for not giving enough information. I am a newbie enough that I assumed all Soleras had the same type of slides. I have a 2013 Solera 24R which has 2 slides, both look to me the same type which I think are Lippert (googling looks like Schwintek).
Retired_Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 06:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Sorry for not giving enough information. I am a newbie enough that I assumed all Soleras had the same type of slides. I have a 2013 Solera 24R which has 2 slides, both look to me the same type which I think are Lippert (googling looks like Schwintek).
If it is the Lippert with the motors at the top of the slides, the motors must be removed and the slide manually pushed in.

To manually close the slide, remove the screw that holds the motor in place and lift the motor off of the drive mechanism. The screws are located at the top corner of the external slide seal. This video shows what needs to be done even though it is for a towable. Using the correct tools makes it much easier.

Here is a link to a PDF file that gives complete instructions on manually closing the slideout. You will need to read through to find the info that applies.
https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0002071.pdf
Old 12-10-2022, 07:59 AM   #7

I have a 24r and have had a motor fail on the road. The video is accurate ,especially the part about needing a square drive bit to remove the motor retention bolt under the outside weather stripping. It is much easier to simply lift the motor on the inside of the camper. There is enough clearance for lifting the motor and dropping in a new one. If the slide is stuck too far extended then remove your trim molding and fix later. The molding is only nailed with nail gun brads. The motor replacement is very simple. Once in, retime the controller by either holding the slide button fully extended or retracted for an extra 2-3 seconds after full stop.

Regarding our repair. I had always worried about a slide motor failure on one of our month long outbound trips. All four slide motors are the same in the 24r. 1:300 lippert ( the 1:500 is for the side slide units). The motors are usually under $150 on Amazon and easy to acquire. The forward motor the side slide failed us due to water intrusion driving in rain, we did drive thru the tail end of Hurricane Irma with 30-40 mph rainy gusts a few years back. It failed on a subsequent trip. The smaller slides on the 24r are easy to push with the motor lifted. The repair took 15 minutes if you already have a spare motor and a square drive bit. Pike up a spare motor a consider yourself prepared.

Tags
manual, slide