Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2016, 01:10 PM   #1

Motorhome newbee with questions.

We are first time motorhomers and would like to ask for some help. I have spent many hours on this site and really enjoy all the info.
Our 2010 Solera is in great shape except for the decalls on the passenger side. The sun got to them and they are cracking. I have talked to forest river and they don't have the decals anymore. Any suggestions?
I also would like to put surf racks up top but haven't seen any info or anyone has done it. I have solar and there isn't much room for a 9 foot board. Im not sure if the roof will support racks.

If anyone has any advice on servicing a 6 year old Solera with 12,000 miles on it I would appreciate input. Anything special to look out for. It has stabilizers and new shocks.

We can't wait to get going. Looking to make some long trips from San Diego to Orcas Island and Minnesota..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	321.7 KB
ID:	99322  
Old 02-10-2016, 04:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2travelers View Post
We are first time motorhomers and would like to ask for some help. I have spent many hours on this site and really enjoy all the info.
Our 2010 Solera is in great shape except for the decalls on the passenger side. The sun got to them and they are cracking. I have talked to forest river and they don't have the decals anymore. Any suggestions?
I also would like to put surf racks up top but haven't seen any info or anyone has done it. I have solar and there isn't much room for a 9 foot board. Im not sure if the roof will support racks.

If anyone has any advice on servicing a 6 year old Solera with 12,000 miles on it I would appreciate input. Anything special to look out for. It has stabilizers and new shocks.

We can't wait to get going. Looking to make some long trips from San Diego to Orcas Island and Minnesota..
I can help with the roof question. The roof is very strong! I get up there often when washing and waxing. The top layers is fiberglass with luan and
foam. You can see the roof construction by downloading a brochure from FR or taking a look at the pdf I have posted.
I am sure you will enjoy your Solera!!

There are many threads on this forum concerning maintenance and upkeep that you should find helpful.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2014soleraposter.pdf (7.58 MB, 116 views)
Old 02-10-2016, 05:17 PM   #3

Welcome, I am sure someone will come along that can help with your questions. I know nothing about the Solera, just wanted to say it's a nice looking coach. Enjoy
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:40 PM   #4

We camp a lot at south Carlsbad state beach and last weekend I saw someone with a rack that hooked into rear trailer hitch and held bikes and boards vertically on a class c
We live in penasquitos. It looked to be made of aluminum.
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:50 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandiegodoug View Post
We camp a lot at south Carlsbad state beach and last weekend I saw someone with a rack that hooked into rear trailer hitch and held bikes and boards vertically on a class c
We live in penasquitos. It looked to be made of aluminum.
I've seen similar with Kayaks.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:52 PM   #6

Go to site rv kayak racks
There is a nice picture
Old 02-10-2016, 05:52 PM   #7

On a navion
Old 02-11-2016, 09:07 AM   #8

Tough call on wanting to mount a surfboard on the roof. Think about a few things before you go that route, especially on your Solera with solar panels. Constant up and down with a nine ft board, sometimes in windy conditions. Locating a nine foot by width footprint ,while not interfering with roof hatchs, a/c unit, tv antenna, etc. Wind drag (i.e turbulence ) is a factor as well. As another poster has said, there is that company that sells the plug in hitch type, I just think they are way over priced. Since you only mentioned a single surfboard carry, what about some kind of fastening system to the rear ladder rack.

On the maintenance side of the house, if your handy, things like oil changes are really simple, just drop me a pm with concerns and i'll give you things to do to your '10, since I have been on the road longer and learned a few things along the Solera road.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:13 AM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2travelers View Post
Find a good vinyl graphics place.
They can make and match anything.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:58 PM   #10

Follow the sub-forum "Mercedes Benz Sprinter Chassis" and you will get more good information than you can possibly absorb.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:26 PM   #11
2015 sunseeker 3050

what part of MN are you visiting? I live on the Iron Range, north central part of MN
bluefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:32 PM   #12

It appears you have gotten some very good info regarding the surfboard/roof mount question. As far as your graphics question - we had the same issue with our Rockwood TT. We measured the logo that was on the front (the one we wanted to replace), top to bottom and width, then took a picture of it with our phone. A quick trip to the local Insta-sign place in town, showed them the phone picture and then gave them the measurements. They matched the font and color perfectly. Only cost about $10 too. We used a remover like Goo-Gone (but it came from Lowes) to remove the cracked decal and applied the new one. Worked perfectly!
Old 02-12-2016, 07:55 AM   #13

How about lashing your board to the ladder if you have one?
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:44 AM   #14

Thanks for all the input. Looking forward to happy trails.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:11 PM   #15

I just removed all the Solera logos. Still have the one on the front of the cab over
mckirby50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome