Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2015, 10:57 PM   #21

Thanks for this suggestion. I will take it in immediately to Auto Zone and have it checked with their scanner. There are no Mercedes Sprinter repair shops within 150 miles but Auto Zone is just down the street. Thanks.
One wife
Two kayaks, One SUP
Bend, Oregon
Solera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:12 PM   #22
Anacortesians

You're driving a low-powered, heavily loaded diesel truck. It ain't going to beat Corvettes away from the traffic lights and may have a hard time doing better than a transit coach.

You can spend a large amount of money trying to improve it or spend the money on fuel and CGs. We chose the latter.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:14 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solera View Post
Thanks for this suggestion. I will take it in immediately to Auto Zone and have it checked with their scanner. There are no Mercedes Sprinter repair shops within 150 miles but Auto Zone is just down the street. Thanks.
That would only work if your CEL was on. (Check Engine Light)

I have driven several Sprinters in the past, in addition to my Solera.

Also my FedEx guy has one and FedEx does not manually shift.

All have operated normally in D Drive. You should only "have" to use the manual shift feature if needed for downshifting, etc.

I have heard mention of the issue with yours over there.

Good Luck!

2015 Solera MBS 24R - Hellwig/Sumo Equipped, Sold
(Sold the Vibe TT, as well)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:33 PM   #24
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
I've seen codes set without turning on the light
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:56 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
On an MBS?

2015 Solera MBS 24R - Hellwig/Sumo Equipped, Sold
(Sold the Vibe TT, as well)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:54 AM   #26

I have the 3500 MBS chassis under my 24J and have been watching this. I have driven mine in "D" and with manual shifting. I have not noticed any difference in fuel economy (20 mpg). In manual mode I found I never went above 4th. she seems more responsive on grades. I only went to D when I was at 65mph or greater and on the flats. On take off, if she is cold I find her sluggish in "D" or in manual. I typical still use manual for a while and then may go to "D". I play it by ear. when the DH drives it, it will be in "D"

I just ordered an ultragauge to monitor trans temp, LOD, etc

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:28 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Don't quite understand Bob. The computer picks up something from a sensor sense's a problem stores a code and makes no one aware?
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:55 AM   #28
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
I've had late model stuff not turn light on .....but code stored either as a 1 time event, or as a pending....no light.......lots of fun to trouble shoot. If what is caus'n no upshift, such as govornor ( now days electronic sensor),or wire loom.or connections, alternator creating leakage into wire loom....some freaky stuff like that.....not everything will set off the light...I've learned by the school of hard knocks.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:12 AM   #29

Thanks for all this info about the problem I originally stated. I will try to get my Solera to AutoZone and have it scanned for a code. So far no light appears on the dash to concern me. No problem with power when I shift down manually but that is the issue here. I will keep you posted after Auto Zone.
One wife
Two kayaks, One SUP
Bend, Oregon
Old 09-11-2015, 11:38 AM   #30

Second year and have had no problems using drive for all normal operations. Acceleration is very good for a vehicle of this weight and size engine. Actually impressive. I will manually down shift occasionally when climbing or descending steep hills. It is an automatic and should be driven like one IMHO.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:48 AM   #31

I tow a 4000lb Jeep Wrangler and the only time I touch tranny is decending steep grades.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:12 PM   #32

Thanks SAn Diego Doug. I am Bend Doug. And I also tow my Jeep Wrangler and will be doing so for two weeks very soon. We will just see how that goes.
One wife
Two kayaks, One SUP
Bend, Oregon
Old 09-11-2015, 10:21 PM   #33

We towed the jeep from San Diego to the Oregon coast. Up along 101 and back I-5. We did slow down to 45 at the steep part of the siskiyou grade and the grape vine, but tranny did fine. Only did 55-60 in Cali (speed limit) just took our time. Original plan was for wife to drive jeep over grades but it was nice to ride with the wife and go a little slower through the grades. I do downshift in the way down the hills to save on my brakes as my 2 door rubicon weighs 4000

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:23 PM   #34

Quote:
Thanks for all this info about the problem I originally stated. I will try to get my Solera to AutoZone and have it scanned for a code. So far no light appears on the dash to concern me. No problem with power when I shift down manually but that is the issue here. I will keep you posted after Auto Zone.
If you have no CEL, don't bother having autozone who ever read your OBD II port. Think about it, what would you expect to accomplish. Your posts seem very confusing, in that you seem, by your posted information here, to have either major tranny problems, or you're not sufficiently confident in how your Sprinter chassis should perform. You seem to be content by manual shifting an AUTOMATIC transmission, which is puzzling. Also, for some reason, because your MB dealer is 150 miles away, that seems to be an obstacle for you. But, towing a 4000 pound TV, with obvious tranny issues appears to be an event your looking forward too. This all sure seems suspect, so good luck with that endeavor.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:31 PM   #35

Do not take your Benz to autozone.

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Old 09-13-2015, 04:06 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
If you have no CEL, don't bother having autozone who ever read your OBD II port. Think about it, what would you expect to accomplish. Your posts seem very confusing, in that you seem, by your posted information here, to have either major tranny problems, or you're not sufficiently confident in how your Sprinter chassis should perform. You seem to be content by manual shifting an AUTOMATIC transmission, which is puzzling. Also, for some reason, because your MB dealer is 150 miles away, that seems to be an obstacle for you. But, towing a 4000 pound TV, with obvious tranny issues appears to be an event your looking forward too. This all sure seems suspect, so good luck with that endeavor.
You said it in a better way than I. Thank you(they removed my post)
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:07 PM   #37

Sprinter get up and go ....
We have towed an '04 Wrangler behind our Solera. My observations have been it does quite well for a relatively small displacement diesel. Where I have noticed reduced power is when we are in an area where B5 diesel is not available. When we had no choice but the " this pump dispenses diesel containing between B5 and B20" we often can feel an obvious difference in smoothness and power.
john.tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:33 PM   #38

Thats good stuff to know. Thanks.
One wife
Two kayaks, One SUP
Bend, Oregon
Old 09-15-2015, 08:38 AM   #39

Quote:
After a lot of discussion on this forum and others about my new Solera 24W and its lack of power in low gears when starting out, I finally got my answer from Mercedes and it is not what this forum led me to believe. Mercedes says that this diesel has to be manually shifted from first or second starting out at a stop then into the higher gears as speed picks up. In fact, Mercedes says that it is recommended that you never start out in Drive and expect the Solera to have automatically shifted down to first at a stop. And Mercedes also states that they recommend that you rarely drive the coach in Drive but rather in Fourth as the highest gear, even on the flats. If on long runs on flat roads, then they say its ok to shift into Drive.
Since this all comes from the mouth of the builder of the transmission, I will trust them and consider myself the driver of a five speed manual transmission. Hope this settles this and sets the record straight about the lack of power experienced in Drive when starting out from a dead stop.
Solera, I just read the owners manual from MB. It says the direct opposite from what they told you. It would appear that the person you spoke to, may have not read the manual, or picked up the phone while in the building cleaning the floors. Seriously, read the manual, printed always trumps what one person would tell you over the phone. For discussion purposes, i'll assume you mean starting out from a dead stop on level ground. Just sayin'
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual, power