Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2015, 04:00 PM   #1

New Antenna location?

I'm putting a Winegard Roadstar 3000 on my Solera. According to the installation instructions it shouldn't go where the old antenna was. I'm looking to put it on the front of the roof in the center, but I'm wondering if there's anything in that area which might be affected if I screw this down in that area.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:03 PM   #2

According to the installation instructions it shouldn't go where the old antenna was.

WHY? Have to have a good reason for that, you should be able to use same cable and spot. Going to down load instructions and see what their reason is.
Follow Up: Just reviewed the installation and there is no reason not to mount it in place of old one and use that coax feed. The only thing it suggest is to be 18" from anything else but not really a reason. I would remove old one and put this one right in same spot as long as you have good support there.
2014 F350 / 2015 CC 36 CKTS
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 04:25 PM   #3

Roger

The old antenna is too close to the edge of the roof and the new antenna could be hit by obstructions in that location. The Solera is 11.5' high and it would be best to be near the center of the roof, like what is shown is the instructions.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
Roger

The old antenna is too close to the edge of the roof and the new antenna could be hit by obstructions in that location. The Solera is 11.5' high and it would be best to be near the center of the roof, like what is shown is the instructions.
Understand too close to edge in that case center would be best or over just enough to clear things. I would see if coax is long enough to reach. You might also check and see if your rig is prewired for a roof top dish if so try there.
2014 F350 / 2015 CC 36 CKTS
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 04:33 PM   #5

The coax is long enough to reach so won't have to run any new there. Will check on the roof top dish prewiring. Thanks
Old 05-18-2015, 04:05 PM   #6
Commercial Member

I personally would not install a "Road Star". When we tested crank up Wineguard vs Road Star vs. Jack Antenna. The Crank up got 33 stations in town, the Jack got 32, the Road Star got about 18. They may have made some improvements...but its non-directional which means it gets all stations in decently but no one direct well.

I would recommend the Jack digital and it can be placed where the old one was...no extra holes

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:46 PM   #7

Thanks Brian, I already purchased the Roadstar and can't return it so I'll give it a try and see what happens. We don't watch that much TV any way and most of the HDTV station are mostly Sports which I don't watch either. I'll let you know if the 3000 is better than the Roadstar you tested.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:51 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Looking forward to the test results....although do you still have the crank up Winegard to test it against?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:17 PM   #9

Yes I do, it's still on the roof. Let you know.

Tags
antenna, cat, location