Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2017, 01:37 PM   #1

Unhappy New LED Taillight Post

I want to start off by saying I have no electrical knowledge whats so ever. I have a 2010 FR Solera. All my running lights function properly. I am having problems with my taillight/turn signals. All the lights are LEDs. On drivers side the light in the middle taillight does not come except when you turn on the left turn signal. On the passenger side the two taillights come but they are not very bright as compared to the driver's side taillights. The right turn signals come on but they are not very bright as compared to the driver's side turn signals. Can someone provide helpful information in laymen terms.

Thanks,

Still learning this stuff.
alaska6580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 01:47 PM   #2

Most likely you have a bad ground somewhere.

Ground is the wire that goes from the light to the frame, as opposed to the power wire which comes from whatever switch on your vehicle sends the power to the light. When the ground is missing or not making good contact, the power sometimes goes back through another ground wire to another light, through that light backwards until it gets to a light has a good ground. That's why they are dim. I'd check the ground wires on the passenger side tail light.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:04 PM   #3

I had a similar problem sometime ago and found a bad/parcialy blown fuse on the circuit board for the lights. On my 24R the board is to the rear of the water tank compartment.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:07 AM   #4

Do you remember which fuse it was on the circuit board? Do I need to disconnect all batteries before attempting to remove fuses?
Old 07-08-2017, 07:08 AM   #5

The green wire is the ground wire, correct?
Old 07-08-2017, 07:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaska6580 View Post
Do you remember which fuse it was on the circuit board? Do I need to disconnect all batteries before attempting to remove fuses?
If I remember correctly, it was top fuse on the control board. 15 amp if memory serves. The fuse are labeled, but might be a little hard to see.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:20 AM   #7

you are working with only 12V so little danger with battery connected.

Often when lights act up like you describe one bulb may be burned out. Take both sides out and look at them in the light of day to see if the filament is still there, or just replace it if the bulb looks dark or discolored. Another thing to look for is corrosion in the socket or just a loose bulb socket. Corrosion often looks like a white powder or even rust on and in the socket. Can usually be cleaned off with fine sandpaper and contact cleaner or WD-40 if you have no contact cleaner.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:55 AM   #8

These are LED lights. Got the passenger side running light fixed by replacing the fuse. They work great now. Still having problems with the driver side running light. The one in the middle will not come on except when using the left turn signal.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaska6580 View Post
I want to start off by saying I have no electrical knowledge whats so ever. I have a 2010 FR Solera. All my running lights function properly. I am having problems with my taillight/turn signals. All the lights are LEDs. On drivers side the light in the middle taillight does not come except when you turn on the left turn signal. On the passenger side the two taillights come but they are not very bright as compared to the driver's side taillights. The right turn signals come on but they are not very bright as compared to the driver's side turn signals. Can someone provide helpful information in laymen terms.

Thanks,

Still learning this stuff.
This may be totally unrelated but I got a Forest River recall for the taillight module on my 2015 Solera. I no longer have the recall letter, but the repair order states, "Taillight Light Module. Removed Kurt Module. Replaced with Hopkins Module"

I didn't experience any problems prior to the work but since I had to have the RV in the shop anyway I had the work done.
lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 06:38 PM   #10

2010 Solera did not have the Curt controller.

Tags
led, light