Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2017, 05:43 AM   #1

New Mercedes Oil

Hi my new friends. I just picked up my 2014 Solera 24R yesterday and noticed the dash code was telling me I needed a oil change at 30,000 miles Ok so after reading all the posts about it I found the correct Mobil One at Amazon. Decent price. Happened to stop by local MB dealer and was told that MB uses their own branded oil now. No more Mobil One. So I bought 15 quarts for $7 a quart as well as all the filters. Sticker shock! I just want to thank all the contributors to this forum as I haven't camped( since I was "In Country") So much useful information.
Supersprink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:37 AM   #2

There are a wide variety of oils which meet Mercedes specifications. The current MB specs are (I think) 229.51 and 229.52. Here's a link to the Mercedes web page which lists the oils which have been approved for the 229.52 spec:
https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevol...229.52_en.html
There's a selector box at the top which will bring up lists for other MB specs.

The fact that your MB dealer uses the MB-branded oil doesn't really mean much - maybe they have a higher profit margin. My MB dealer used Mobil 1 the last time I had them change the oil.

Dave
Old 07-15-2017, 09:44 AM   #3
Senior Junior Member

Be very careful on which Mobile 1 oil you use and not many meet the MB specs as noted above. I never found the correct one at Walmart. "Meets" is not the same as "approved by" and 551.3 is not the same as 551.31 for example.

My advice is to go to NAPA and get Mobile 1 ESP 0w-30. It is approved by MB for all 3 specs. Once in a while they have a great sale price.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:47 AM   #4
Senior Junior Member

TYPO... 229 not 551. I need another cup of coffee.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersprink View Post
Hi my new friends. I just picked up my 2014 Solera 24R yesterday and noticed the dash code was telling me I needed a oil change. So I bought 15 quarts for $7 a quart as well as all the filters. Sticker shock!
$7 per quart is not that bad for the correct oil compared to what it costs at the auto parts stores. Mobil 1 ESP regular price, not on sale, is almost $10/qt.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:19 PM   #6

The main problem with modern oil longevity in modern automobiles is the filter. The oil can last a long time but the filter needs changing.

Since most automobiles only hold 5 or 6 quarts on average, changing just the filter isn't worth it.

I don't care what the spec, I ain't going 30k between changes. Not without analysis... and that isn't worthwhile for 5 quarts.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
The main problem with modern oil longevity in modern automobiles is the filter. The oil can last a long time but the filter needs changing.

Since most automobiles only hold 5 or 6 quarts on average, changing just the filter isn't worth it.

I don't care what the spec, I ain't going 30k between changes. Not without analysis... and that isn't worthwhile for 5 quarts.
True, except the model we're talking about holds 13.25 qts. and depending on the year, the Mercedes interval for oil changes to comply with the warranty is either 10k or 20k. Analysis is a good idea, but changing at 10k is probably best
on most diesels. The OP's oil had probably been changed at 20k and is now due at 30k. On his year model, the interval is 10k miles.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:46 PM   #8

I've had good luck purchasing a case(12 qrts) of the Mobil 1 ESP oil at my local Freightliner
dealer here in Dayton, plus the filter. Their prices are consistently somewhere between $7-$8 mark per
qrt and the filter around $10-. They specialize in the Sprinter BluTec diesels and seem to
know the specs. You cannot buy just "any" good oil for the MB diesel as the ESP(emission protection system) is specifically designed to be compatible with diesel ash perticulate filters such as used on this great engine...so pay attention to this one. AND-don't forget to always buy a few, new, crush rings(soft metal gaskets) to the oil pan plug every time
you change the oil or you will start leaking oil from that drain plug(keep the spares in the glove compartment in a zip lock!). I assume you change your own oil otherwise the tech should do this for you if you have it done(don't assume tho and make sure you ask them re this!)?
Old 11-14-2017, 06:55 AM   #9

NAPA runs sales on Mobil 1 ESP several times a year. Usually $5.79 qt. That is where I get mine. If they need to order it comes in the next day.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:11 PM   #10

ESP Oil price...

Holy Cowabunga Batman...that's the best price I've heard on the ESP Mobil 1.
Now I can stop making the 35 mi. round trip up to Frieghtliner to get the oil
and just meander 1 mile up the hill to my local NAPA to order or purchase!
Thnx mucho Mike! You've helped me before, btw . Will give them a
call right NOW! Best...
Old 11-14-2017, 12:48 PM   #11

It may not be on sale at the moment, but watch their web site. I always keep enough on hand for my next change.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:56 PM   #12

ESP motor oil prices...

Got it and thanks for that. I'll give them a whistle to see if they can anticipate the "next" sale. They might have an alert messaging system, ha ha? I usually do the same and tend to stockpile the stuff so that I don't go too long between oil changes. Have had good luck, btw, buying the oil filt. on-line from RockAuto.com
at a fairly reasonable price and shipped to the front door.

Enjoy that great wx. down there, esp. now that you are just starting to tip
into the Florida version of our Fall up here(getting down to 25F once in a while
at night now...
Old 11-14-2017, 03:07 PM   #13

It was really bad here last night; got down to 50
Old 11-14-2017, 03:32 PM   #14

Oil...

BAD indeed! You Floridians know how to hurt Northerners don't ya? Hey,
just keep an eye on the orange crop for us, OK?

PD: just talked to my local NAPA guy(as you suggested) up the hill and said he can order
the ESP for me when it's on SALE for around $5.90 vs. the normal
off-sale price of around $10- per. BIG diff and I thank you again!
Will load up when the sale begins...good job Mike!!

Tags
mercedes