Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #1

Newbie electrical question

Oh Great Wise Ones, help!

Picked up my 2013 S end of January and drove it home to Oregon where I put it in storage to wait out winter. The storage place had a plug-in for the 30 amp plug, and they turned the electricity on from 6-10pm every day. This kept the batteries in shape. But I didn't know what happened while the electricity was on as I was never there during those hours.

Just brought it home and plugged it, with an adapter, into the 15 amp plug on the side of my house. This of course will not supply as much juice as the 30 amp did at the storage place. So I made sure everything is turned off, lights, tv unplugged, so there is minimal to no power drain. BUT, a couple of questions now have come up, now that I'm home where it's quiet. Hoping you can help....

1. When I plug the cord in, a very soft "on" sound came on, not a whir...maybe a little like a small fridge, except the fridge is off. I assume this was happening when I took it out camping and plugged in the last couple of months, but I didn't hear it. It seems to be coming from the water heater box on the outside passenger side, and from the little water heater area under the bed, and got a bit louder when I took the cover off. I assume it has to do with the water heater, but it's still winterized, so there is no water, the anode is still not installed, it hasn't been turned "on." My concern is that whatever it is is using too much electricity, or harming the water heater. Anyone know what might be going on there?

2. I'd like to turn the microwave all the way off, but see no way to do that. Any ideas?

3. Is there anything else I need to turn off to keep electrical drain to a minimum??

Also discovered the switch to keep the step out while camping....finally.... I was waking everyone up with midnight trips to walk dogs or use the camp bathroom. In mine, it's the first of the three unmarked switches by the step. The second is the outside light on the door side, the third the outside light on the other side.

Thank you all for your combined wisdom. I watch this forum constantly and read everything. You are great!!
Marionap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

What you may be hearing is your battery converter. It does have a fan and runs when it gets hot enough, sometimes you can hear it "hum". As for the Microwave, it is usually on it;s own breaker. Find your distribution panel and turn the microwave off. Don't forget about it...(lol). If you have all the lights off and microwave, TV's, Refridg, etc. are all off then there is not much else to pull any power. Your converter would be the biggest draw.
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #3

You should be able to just unplug your microwave.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Is your electrical/distribution panel near the place you hear a "fan" ?

To remove the most "110" draws flip all the breakers off EXCEPT the one that says convertor And of course leave the "main" on.

turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #5

Main coach switch located on the left stairwell will cut power to the microwave, TV, soft "thingy"and most other drains. Not sure of your concern if you have it plugged in. That would more than offset any minor drains you might have.

Remember the set the hot and cold valves in the correct positions under the bed, to allow the hot water tank to fill prior to turning on.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionap View Post
Oh Great Wise Ones, help!

Picked up my 2013 S end of January and drove it home to Oregon where I put it in storage to wait out winter. The storage place had a plug-in for the 30 amp plug, and they turned the electricity on from 6-10pm every day. This kept the batteries in shape. But I didn't know what happened while the electricity was on as I was never there during those hours.

Just brought it home and plugged it, with an adapter, into the 15 amp plug on the side of my house. This of course will not supply as much juice as the 30 amp did at the storage place. So I made sure everything is turned off, lights, tv unplugged, so there is minimal to no power drain. BUT, a couple of questions now have come up, now that I'm home where it's quiet. Hoping you can help....

1. When I plug the cord in, a very soft "on" sound came on, not a whir...maybe a little like a small fridge, except the fridge is off. I assume this was happening when I took it out camping and plugged in the last couple of months, but I didn't hear it. It seems to be coming from the water heater box on the outside passenger side, and from the little water heater area under the bed, and got a bit louder when I took the cover off. I assume it has to do with the water heater, but it's still winterized, so there is no water, the anode is still not installed, it hasn't been turned "on." My concern is that whatever it is is using too much electricity, or harming the water heater. Anyone know what might be going on there?

2. I'd like to turn the microwave all the way off, but see no way to do that. Any ideas?

3. Is there anything else I need to turn off to keep electrical drain to a minimum??

Also discovered the switch to keep the step out while camping....finally.... I was waking everyone up with midnight trips to walk dogs or use the camp bathroom. In mine, it's the first of the three unmarked switches by the step. The second is the outside light on the door side, the third the outside light on the other side.

Thank you all for your combined wisdom. I watch this forum constantly and read everything. You are great!!
My guess the hum you hear is probably the solenoid connecting the a/c converter or power supply connecting to the coach battery(s). Also the LP gas detector will auto on at this point. Disconect the mircrowave by using the household plug. Located normally in a overhead cab nearby. You're correct, by using the step switch, the steps will auto open if someone wants to get out. Enjoy your new camper!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #7

My goodness...it is my 64th birthday today, and such huge gifts! I found the distribution center, everything perfectly marked, flipped all switches except "Main" and "Converter," and am so relieved! The microwave went off. There was no hum (a far better description of the sound I heard), but it is likely the converter was not busy at the moment. Thank you! So much to learn. I imagine I will either forget to flip the breakers back on and come to you all panicked....I am 64 now after all....or remember and thank you all again silently. Once I get it de-winterized, I imagine I will be back for more advice, but this time about water...although you have all outlined what I need to think about in other posts so I can ask the person de-winterizing it for me hose questions directly. I might be able to handle all this after all! Thank you so much!
Old 04-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #8

2012 White Solera, thanks for reminder about the water heater. The gentleman in Des Moines explained all that and I'd forgotten. I worry about the power draining as the plug is only 15 amps, and I don't want to drain the batteries. Perhaps I worry too much. Thanks so much!
Old 04-02-2013, 05:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionap View Post
My goodness...it is my 64th birthday today, and such huge gifts! I found the distribution center, everything perfectly marked, flipped all switches except "Main" and "Converter," and am so relieved! The microwave went off. There was no hum (a far better description of the sound I heard), but it is likely the converter was not busy at the moment. Thank you! So much to learn. I imagine I will either forget to flip the breakers back on and come to you all panicked....I am 64 now after all....or remember and thank you all again silently. Once I get it de-winterized, I imagine I will be back for more advice, but this time about water...although you have all outlined what I need to think about in other posts so I can ask the person de-winterizing it for me hose questions directly. I might be able to handle all this after all! Thank you so much!
Welcome to "senior moments" - get used to them, they'll become good friends!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote