Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2014, 01:44 PM   #1

On the 24S Slide-out

Yesterday, we were able to examine a 2014 Solera 24S at an almost local (1.5 hours) dealer and were very impressed. Coming from an older 24 ft. Born Free Rear Bath Class C, we were quite impressed with the livibility of the floor plan EVEN with the slide-out retracted. We were surprised with the details of the slide-out motion, in which (during retraction) it first raised up about an inch, then powered in to the closed position. This mechanism clearly provides for a flat floor in the extended position. However in the closed position, there is a roughly 1" gap between the slide floor covering and the remaining coach floor. We were immediately concerned about things ranging from dog toys to children's debris getting under the slide floor lip and damaging the mechanism. Have any of you found this to be a problem? Have any of you developed a solution?
FrankGRUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:50 PM   #2

Have never had a problem with that issue, we have 2 dogs that as soon as the slide goes out it's time to play and the toys come out. Only problem I had with it was sliding it out once I forgot there was a pack of pop up by the drivers seat and it got caught on the trim as the slide when out. Was wondering why the slide was moving so slow.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:17 PM   #3

The raised portion when in the retracted position is covered by the carpet overlap on my year, thus reducing the chance of objects being able to get under the slide floor. I have not expierenced any issues, but the dog variabe exists. Just inventory the play toys, prior to extension.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:36 PM   #4

Thanks for your comments on your experience. We have never had a slide before and don't know how robust the mechanism actually is. We were actually surprised to see the gap, but were impressed with the flat floor seal when fully extended. With our quick look at the dealer, I didn't have time to measure the retracted carpet to floor tile gap, but it looked to be about 1 inch. I was considering carrying a 1"thick foam exercise pad to slide under when retracted. They are available vinyl covered and in 2' x 6' roll-up segments
Old 02-01-2014, 07:16 PM   #5

Just be careful with that. If you forget and extend the slide with those things not removed, you run the risk of putting a load on the mechanism, which is not a good thing.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:54 PM   #6

What are you worried about with the gap? I don't understand what you think the problem would be there? We've camped with and without the slide out and have not had a problem.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:53 PM   #7

I was worried about a small object (spoon, dog or child's toy getting inadvertently pushed under the carpet lip while the slide was retracted. Then, when the mechanism is extending the slide, I thought the small object could be pulled back by the moving carpet lip, then falling into the edge structure or the mechanism, resulting in a jam or drive mechanism damage the next time it is retracted. From your responses, I'm probably over thinking this thing, but the concern comes from our lack of experience with slides!
Old 02-02-2014, 09:44 AM   #8

Yes, you are being overly concerned. Our dog toys stay on the floor all the time and we've never had a problem.
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:30 AM   #9

I don't think you need to worry about anything falling into the tracks or motor their located under the floor. would be very hard for something to fall into it.

Tags
slide, slide out