Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2015, 03:20 PM   #1
2012 Solera

Partial Cover Solution

I have struggled with the idea of covering our Solera since we bought it in 2012. We don't have access to covered storage. We use the MH year round (no snow or freeze here on the central CA coast); I have a solar cell on the roof to keep the battery charged in storage; putting a cover on and off for two to four week hiatuses between trips is too difficult, ...

I've noticed that the vertical walls (sides and back) stay pretty clean and the wax holds up quite well. The roof I don't see, and I don't want to cover the solar panel ... rain and wind seem to keep the roof pretty clear...

So, my issue has been the cab area. The roof/cabover dump dirt on the lower half of the windshield; the horizontal hood area collects dirt, leaves, bird droppings, etc.; sun strips the wax on the horizontal hood pretty quickly.

I decided that a windshield cover that extended over the hood would be great. Easy to put on and take off, and would cover where most of my exposure issue is. Searched the internet - found this available in the UK:
Protective Cab Covers. Looked perfect - but could not find a US availability.

Decided I could buy a windshield cover and add a "modified tarp" to accomplish. Came out quite good, I think - the windshield cover overlaps the tarp by about 12 to 18 inches, holding it in place nicely. Tarp is bungee'd to the mirror arms, the wheel covers, and the bumper. Goes on in two easy to handle pieces. I put the windshield cover on first - left the bottom ties to the mirror arms unconnected - folded it up onto the windshield - put the tarp on attaching it to the mirror arms - folded the windshield cover down over the tarp and attached its mirror arm ties - bungee'd the bottom of the tarp.

Thought this might be useful to others struggling with the cover question...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151018_164347266_HDR.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	303.2 KB
ID:	92165   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151018_164428310.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	324.4 KB
ID:	92166  
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:59 AM   #2

Looks like a good idea. My mbs faces to the east been trying to think how I'm going to protect the front end from the sun and the snow in winter.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Petersb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:39 PM   #3

Partial Cover Solution

Don't feel I need to protect the windshield. In our 2401R the front hood bonnet and front of the bunk as well as the front vertical panels of the coach behind the driver and passenger doors are covered with sealant film. 😀I would like to cover it all for UV, wind blown items and hail protection but don't see climbing up and over all it and it seems like a pretty big project for the two of us. I like your mini cover.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:50 PM   #4

What ever works for your, go with it. I can see the point of not having a total cover in the way you use it, here in Iowa it's a little different I cover mine because I don't know when It's going to snow or worst let ice storm.

Tags
cover