Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2022, 10:25 PM   #1

Power Sources for Slides

I have my Solera already buttoned up for the winter and it is cold out or I would just go out and try this.

We have owned our Solera for about a year and I found out the hard way that the engine cannot be running when you try to open/close the slide.

The manual says not to rely on just battery but be plugged into 120VAC or have generator running.

Noticed that other RV brands allow the engine to be running if the parking brake is on, is this true for the Solera? Or is there another trick to be able to have the engine charge supporting the battery while open/close the slides.

Reason, it is just easier when you are boon docking to turn the engine on over starting the generator for that short amount of time.

How does everybody else do it?

Thanks
Retired_Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 11:04 PM   #2
2012 Solera

Our 2012 has a Lippert “Flush Floor” slide. I have regularly extended and retracted it on the house batteries. I have recently (3 years ago) converted to lithiums, which are stronger, but did the same prior to the conversion.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
Our 2012 has a Lippert “Flush Floor” slide. I have regularly extended and retracted it on the house batteries. I have recently (3 years ago) converted to lithiums, which are stronger, but did the same prior to the conversion.
I too have regularly operated the slide on my TT and have done so since I brought it home in 2017.

I read the admonition in the "Manual" to have shore power or generator running before doing so but kind of ignored it with no issues.

I think the warning is there because so many DO NOT maintain their batteries properly but never notice slide issues because they are most often on shore power. The problem then surfaces during an overnight stop or other instance where shore power isn't available.

Speaking only for my slide (a 10 foot, electric through frame, flush floor type) it draws <6 amp while operating (as measured on my BMV-712 monitor) so any reasonably well charged battery is more than capable of handling the task without assistance.

I now have LiFePo4 batteries and of course they do a great job but my old lead/acid batteries never needed either shore power or generator.

In closing, one may have an issue if only operating with a small (like group 24)lead acid battery that is old, poorly maintained, and has been "off charge" for a while.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, slide, slides