Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2013, 12:01 AM   #1

Rain gutter location on 24RS

We have just purchased a 2013 Solera 24RS and have already run into an issue I'm concerned about. The rain gutter spout is located directly above the cab doors. When it rains...which it does frequently in the Pacific Northwest...the spout dumps water onto the door interior when you open it. I'm concerned that the power window switches will be damaged. It is also just plain inconvenient.

Has anyone else noticed this? And, has anyone found a solution?
Tranquil Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #2

Yes, it has happened to me - but I'm not too worried about it. Happens when you open a door in a car in the rain as well. If it is raining hard, I would suggest going in and out of the house door, as a possibility? Congratulations on your new purchase.
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:39 AM   #3

Yes, we had the same problem. I taped a small sheet of plastic foil over the door switches.
dswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:42 AM   #4

The ac unit run off also runs off there. Currently puddles on both sides of the cab doors right now. We are in Mississippi at Buccaneer state park - so the ac has been running non- stop for 3 days!
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #5

Like Debbie, I have not worried much about it. But if it is a big concern, CW sells rain gutter deflector devices that attach to the gutters that will redirect the runoff.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:55 PM   #6

Thanks, all. I think I will look into the deflectors Taylorgso suggested. Just seems like any designer worth his/her salt could have foreseen this issue. It would have been quite easy to extend the gutter a bit farther forward to resolve this issue. Otherwise, we like our Solera. I guess there is no "perfect" RV.
Tranquil Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #7

I have installed the above mentioned Camping World gutter spout extenders...the net effect is that you can open the door farther before the water hits the switches. I too recommend that if it's raining use the house door if possible. One other thing, you can't install the rear passenger side extender because the awning mount is in the way.
devilsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
NELA

The rain gutter drips right over our 50 amp plug-in. I mentioned this a while ago but haven't done it yet;

Gonna pick up some of that one inch diameter clear rubber tubing I've seen used as plumbing under our Jacuzzi. I'll cut perhaps, a 6' length of it and push it over the drain spout, allowing the water to run down the tube to the ground.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERmit View Post
The rain gutter drips right over our 50 amp plug-in. I mentioned this a while ago but haven't done it yet;

Gonna pick up some of that one inch diameter clear rubber tubing I've seen used as plumbing under our Jacuzzi. I'll cut perhaps, a 6' length of it and push it over the drain spout, allowing the water to run down the tube to the ground.
You will have to keep and eye on it to see that it doesn't get plugged if you use tubing. Might want to just make a trough out of it.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #10
2011 Georgetown 350TS

You can also use clip on clothes pins , cheap and the water runs off and out.
Leismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #11

If you can make it fit you might want to try a flexible rain gutter to redirect the runoff.

Essential Products RV & Marine - EZE RV Gutters

I have used this many time with good results.
butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #12

Leismom - not picturing where you would put the clothes pins

Audrey
Fla Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote