Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2014, 11:46 AM   #1
2014 Solera 24S

Remove Megnadyne

My first post. We have a Solera 2014 24S and love it. I decided I'd update the software in the radio and disconnect the lights-on signal. I inserted the unlocking tools and from there everything went down hill. That radio is not coming out. I searched the posts and found the YouTube video and was able to remove the trim around the radio but was of no help. Has anyone actually personally ever removed one of these. What's the trick.

DekeRiv
DekeRiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:16 PM   #2
2012 Solera

DekeRiv - I have removed the Magnadyne on my 2012 Solera several times. The instructions I originally followed to disable the dim circuit:

"It is possible to change the way the radio self dims. You are correct, it is because the daytime lights send a signal saying the lights are on, which sets the radio to dim for night time...
"Hypothetically" what you would do is:
1. Remove the trim that goes around all of the controls and the radio(either black or wood-grain). It is easiest to use a flat head screwdriver to pry out one of the bottom corners and then just pull it off. It has a little fight, but it does just pop off.
2.The radio is tied right into the black plastic dash insert, so you will have to unscrew the whole thing to be able to take the radio out. You can't just use the u shaped removal tools. The screws holding the plastic in are Torx, so you will need a bit for that.
3.Pull out the radio. Do not get overwhelmed with the number of wires and RCA cables behind it. There is a small white colored connection from the back of the radio with 4 wires in it, 2 Brown, 1 Orange, 1 Blue. Simply cut the blue wire. This is the dimmer control wire. i would personally then cap off or tape off each end so no random signals could effect it. With the wire cut, you should never have it go into DIM mode, unless you manually do it."

I found it easiest to fully remove the climate control module below the radio - it disconnects easily with a couple of connectors after the Torx screws are out. Don't think removal is absolutely necessary, but helped me get the radio maneuvered out from under the bin on the top of the dashboard - which I flexed a little to get the corners of the radio mount out.

Don't know if your model year is the same as our 2012 -

While I eventually got the Magnadyne functioning fairly well, I've since replaced it with a Kenwood - my wife likes the sound quality much better with the Kenwood. The screen brightness of the Kenwood is much better (even without the dim issue). While I just left the Magnadyne on "bright" all the time, I added a push button to the dimmer wire on the Kenwood for night use (the Kenwood has the same issue as the Magnadyne with the Sprinter use of headlights as daylight running lights).

Good Luck!

Jim
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:23 PM   #3

Which Kenwood model did you install? May have to replace the Jensen I have.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:54 PM   #4

It also helps to remove the left and right AC vent panels. They are held in by one screw each and then just pop out. This will give you access to the top bin screws to make it easier clear the top two brackets.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:09 AM   #5
2012 Solera

Quote:
Originally Posted by papap View Post
Which Kenwood model did you install? May have to replace the Jensen I have.
I installed the Kenwood DDX470. It does not have GPS. I prefer separate GPS and have installed a Garmin.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:15 AM   #6

thanks. I prefer the GPS separate also.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:48 PM   #7

I've had my 2012 Solera S since purchasing new in March 2012. The Magnadyne radio totally sucks and does not receive any AM/FM stations unless you're right near the transmit tower. Just the same, I am totally pleased with my 2012 Solera S which I purchased with the sofa option and entertainment center. No Magnadyne dealers or service centers anywhere near Seattle otherwise I would have given them back their worthless radio. I did have a tech check the antenna connection which was fine, and the radio had decent distant reception when new, but it just started humming one day and the good reception went away. I do not use the GPS which comes up with an error message, needs software update, and is of no use to me. Some day, I would like to change out the Magnadyne for something better. So, I keep my Sirius XM radio plugged in, and my little dash mount antenna handy, and listen to great tunes and keep on trucking. For me and my collie dog "Max", the Solera is a great little motorhome.
l10222002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:56 AM   #8

I have been using the Magnadyne for a year now and it works fine (radio and GPS). It has a couple of very minor features that could be improved on. As a matter of fact the GPS is more accurate than my Garmin. On several occasions my Garmin took me to places six miles from where it should have.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:33 AM   #9

I mainly stream my iPhone to my magnadyne , sounds good
When I had problems called them directly and they were very helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:23 PM   #10

Smile

I stand by my statement that the Magnadyne radio in my 2012 Solera is junk. Oh sure, pull your radio out and send it to Magnadyne and they will repair/replace within one year of new.

The basic function of the radio (to provide me with good listening to AM and FM stations) stopped working just after one year. In my lifetime, I've owned countless automobiles and two other RV's where the OEM radio was never a problem and always got great reception.

Wouldn't it be better for Forest River to utilize the OEM radio that Mercedes-Benz installs in their Sprinter vans? Mercedes-Benz would never allow junk like these Magnadyne radios to be utilized in their cars or vans. Also, why did Forest River switch to Jensen on 2014 and later Solera motorhomes? By the way, the television that Forest River installed in my (2012 Solera)entertainment center is a Jensen and it works very well.

I'm thinking Forest River and Magnadyne need to fix the radio problem on my motorhome and many others! Any good lawyers out there for a class action lawsuit?
l10222002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by l10222002 View Post
I'm thinking Forest River and Magnadyne need to fix the radio problem on my motorhome and many others! Any good lawyers out there for a class action lawsuit?
Please, is good and lawyer ever meant to be used together!
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:38 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l10222002 View Post
I stand by my statement that the Magnadyne radio in my 2012 Solera is junk. Oh sure, pull your radio out and send it to Magnadyne and they will repair/replace within one year of new.

The basic function of the radio (to provide me with good listening to AM and FM stations) stopped working just after one year. In my lifetime, I've owned countless automobiles and two other RV's where the OEM radio was never a problem and always got great reception.

Wouldn't it be better for Forest River to utilize the OEM radio that Mercedes-Benz installs in their Sprinter vans? Mercedes-Benz would never allow junk like these Magnadyne radios to be utilized in their cars or vans. Also, why did Forest River switch to Jensen on 2014 and later Solera motorhomes? By the way, the television that Forest River installed in my (2012 Solera)entertainment center is a Jensen and it works very well.

Did you ever try calling/emailing Magnadyne? I've posted their direct contact info on here multiple times. Have you contacted Forest River warranty about any of these problems? I have posted that contact info on here several times.

Typically before a Class Action lawsuit, you would need to show some sort of effort to get the thing repaired or replaced. If you read through here, most people that have called Magnadyne have gotten pretty good service and firmware updates have solved several issues.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:20 AM   #13

If you dislike something that much then replace it with something you do like. I did.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:33 AM   #14

Folks may not know about the reset button on the unit. These radios are computers, they are not the same as radios of old. Does anyone check the antenna on the roof of the RV or the GPS antenna on the dash. Again, unlike the radios of old, these are much more complicated and also have many more functions.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:40 AM   #15

I had the Megnadyne for two years and their service is very good when you contacted them. The thing that finally finished it for me was after reprograming the unit and rebooting it, it seem to be working better at least it wasn't shutting down on me at the wrong time any longer. But at the end of a trip in 2013 I was in an area that I knew well I took a route different from what the Megnadyne wanted me to take and for the next 100 miles the unit kept wanting to turn me around and take me back to the route it wanted instead of recalculating to the new route. I replaced it with a Kenwood/Garmin unit after that. But that was a different unit than they have today so who knows. Go with what you feel comfortable with and like.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:43 AM   #16

Yes, when you depart your original route the Magnadyne will try and turn you around, but in the upper left hand corner (facing) will appear two spinning arrows. Touch these arrows and the Magnadyne will recalculate your route from your current position. Works very well.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:10 PM   #17

Well it's all a matter of what one likes and is use to. I'm use to the Garmin and like it, didn't like the Magnadyne and couldn't it use to it. Happy Camping and safe trips.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:45 PM   #18

I use a Garmin in my toad also. That is why the make chocolate and vanilla ice cream; to each his own. Happy camping.