Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #1

Replace TV

We are considering downsizing from our Fleetwood Expedition to the Solera, and wonder if anyone has replaced the front or bedroom tv with a larger 120v LCD/LED unit. We are looking at the 24R and I am thinking of a 32" in the front and maybe 26" in the rear. Is there enough room to do this? Is there a 120v plug in the area to provide power? Do I have to use 12v tvs? This forum has been great in making me firm up my mind on Solera, looked at Winnebago and Thor. bclemens has really impressed me with the quick response he provides to questions/problems.
rckymtnbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #2

TV's went to 12v to allow viewing while off the grid(i.e. Walmart overnite, etc.) The brand Solera used in my S is made for RV use, which addresses humidity changes that would occur much more in a motorhome than say your residence. I'd research more on which TV is best for that use, then make the switch if so inclined.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012WhiteSolera View Post
TV's went to 12v to allow viewing while off the grid(i.e. Walmart overnite, etc.) The brand Solera used in my S is made for RV use, which addresses humidity changes that would occur much more in a motorhome than say your residence. I'd research more on which TV is best for that use, then make the switch if so inclined.
My Solera 24MS has 26" Jensen 12V TV - plenty big enough for me, maybe not big enough for some. Jensen does make larger sizes. Since they're all LCD now, I doubt the weight difference would be a problem, but you may want to check the specs. As WhiteSolera noted, the TVs made for RV use are made to withstand the rigors of RV use - temp and humidity changes, jostling while underway down the road, etc... aside from being usable when not plugged into shore power or running the genny, the 12V unit is a little more efficient to start with - conventional TVs have to convert the 120V to a DC signal, and there's loss there. I don't know who else makes 12V TVs, but the Jensen is apparently very reliable. I haven't read a lot of negative traffic on the forums about them!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #4

I understand the need for a 12v tv if you are dry camping, but in storage, my 120v lcd/led tvs have withstood the freezing temperatures of a Colorado winter and the heat of summer. Like the rv, they have 35,000 miles on them from Oregon to Florida to California and stops in-between. Jensen has done a good job of convincing a lot of people that you need special tvs for an rv, but that is purely marketing and a way for them to keep their prices high. If you check the motorhome forums on irv or rvnet you will see that most people buy new or replacement tvs from Best Buy or Walmart, with Vizio, Samsung and Toshiba being top picks. On those forums, Jensen tvs and radios are not well thought off.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckymtnbill View Post
I understand the need for a 12v tv if you are dry camping, but in storage, my 120v lcd/led tvs have withstood the freezing temperatures of a Colorado winter and the heat of summer. Like the rv, they have 35,000 miles on them from Oregon to Florida to California and stops in-between. Jensen has done a good job of convincing a lot of people that you need special tvs for an rv, but that is purely marketing and a way for them to keep their prices high. If you check the motorhome forums on irv or rvnet you will see that most people buy new or replacement tvs from Best Buy or Walmart, with Vizio, Samsung and Toshiba being top picks. On those forums, Jensen tvs and radios are not well thought off.
Bill:
Good points. To each his own. If you never dry camp or camp at Walmarts, you'll not need a 12V. I personally like being able to drive down the road with my grandchildren watching DVDs on the TV without having to run the generator. If you plan on ordering from factory, you can probably have 120V TVs installed OEM.

No, you don't have to use 12V TVs. You should have no problem removing 12V and mounting 120VAC in same place... Almost all TVs now come with standard VESA mount patterns. You may want to be sure the weight is somewhat comparable to the one you are removing - many of the mounts are rated by weight, and you'll want to make sure the surface it's mounted to can stand the extra weight - don't want to pull it out of the wall!. I can't comment on how much room would be available. If you can find one you like on a lot, that'll answer a lot of questions. There are not a lot of 120V outlets in the Solera, buy there should be one available - might have to stretc out the cord to get it to the outlet... again, a walkthrough should answer that question.

Good luck with your decision on the Solera. We love ours!!

Ed
Old 05-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #6

I have already checked and the Jensen lcd tv in the front of the Solera weighs 13 lbs and cost $499, and I can get a 32" Vizio led at Wal-Mart which weighs 12.8 lbs and cost $248. Now all I need to do is buy my Solera and check the space available up front!
Old 05-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #7

That's what they call a no-brainier!
Old 05-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Just remember that our TV price includes the installation bracket and wiring to the DVD player.

I have had many a person try and save $100 and provide their own TV...and then try forever to find a mounting bracket that works. When we first started using TV brackets we had an awesome fully articulating arm...you could watch TV in 6 million positions. Then, when you hit the brakes it slammed beautifully into the wall. Sam's club mounts are made to hold a ###lbs TV...just hold it there.

We had to have a bracket designed that not only held the weight, but held the bouncing weight. It also needed to have the ability to lock down in any position...regardless if you're slamming the brakes or not.

Feel free to provide your own TV, but I'd rather you think about the mounting portion "before" rather than after.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #9

Bclemens: I intend to purchase your tv & bracket, and replace the tv at a later date. Thanks for your input. Your involvement and advice on this forum are a big part of why we shall buy a Solera.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Good to hear. Looks like you're in Colorado, let me know when you're close I'll hook you up with one of my dealers. We'll call it even.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote